Introducing the Alexandria Aces

BallWonk

Just saw this in the local paper, but didn't find anything in a search of the forum. The mostly Maryland-based Cal Ripken, Sr. Collegiate Baseball League (summer wood-bat) will be bringing a team to Alexandria, VA in 2008, playing at Four Mile Run Park. Looks like no work has been done on logos or uniforms yet. I've done a little work with the Ripken organization on community events; they're cool people and pretty laid back. Might be the perfect opportunity for any of the designers on this board to submit something and have it taken seriously. Though don't expect much by way of compensation for any accepted design -- even host families for players pretty much just get a t-shirt and a pat on the back.

Ripken League press release.

odd, I was an athletic trainer for the Alexandria Aces United League team last season. I'm sure Cal will run a tight ship there. Wonder what the logo will look like?

It will look like crap unless someone here designs something good and offers it to the Ripken league pretty much for free. The Ripken folks do run a tight ship, and they do an excellent job with the program, and they're very focused on community involvement. (If only Cal owned the Orioles ...) But out of seven existing teams, one has a good logo (that I'm not sure is original) and possibly two others have arguably not-terrible logos. The rest are beer-league softball bad. As far as logos, the Ripken league is batting .140 with a double, a reached on an error, and four ground-into-double-plays, and now they're up to bat again with one out and runners on. Not a situation that inspires confidence in the likely quality of any new logo.

That's why I posted the news here when I saw it -- this is gonna be my hometown college summer league team, and I'm hoping someone here will take a chance on submitting some designs!

Four-Mile Run park, by the by, is where the Alexandria Dukes and Alexandria Mariners played before moving down to Woodbridge to become the Potomac/Prince William Pirates/Cannons/Nationals.

Good to see baseball coming back there.

Four-Mile Run park, by the by, is where the Alexandria Dukes and Alexandria Mariners played before moving down to Woodbridge to become the Potomac/Prince William Pirates/Cannons/Nationals.

Too lazy to confirm, but weren't the Alexandria Aces out of Louisiana a TX-LA League team in the early 90s?

Too lazy to confirm, but weren't the Alexandria Aces out of Louisiana a TX-LA League team in the early 90s?

Yes, I also believe they were a Texas League team in the 70's before moving to Amarillo then Beaumont, TX and becoming the Golden Gators.

Archived