Who Has the Best Uniform Numbers?

BallWonk

Am I the only person who absolutely loathes the Red Sox's font?

I don't loathe it, per se, I just don't think it's that great. It works well for the Red Sox, that's fine. They've had it forever.....*waits for another board member to possibly correct me :P*

It works for them becuase they're look is still classic and old-school. If a team getting a new identity were to use it, then I would probably think it would look bad.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed - the use of Crillee for the Blue Jays' number font is inspired. Too bad it matches nothing else in the package.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

NHL

1. Sharks

2. Rangers

3. Hurricanes

4. Blackhawks

The 'Hawks make it for the "1" alone, but they exemplify how good "just a slight deviation from standard without going overboard" can look. And continuing the anti-homer theme, I've always hated the Rangers but loved their use of drop shadowing and vertical arch player names. The Devils would probably be #5 for continuing the old Whalers' numbers that are wide as hell but look sharp.

At the bottom? Columbus and the Kings. :puke:

Actually the Devils and Whalers adopted that number type at the same time.

Oh, I was aware. But unlike the Devils, the Whalers stopped wearing that font years ago... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Am I the only person who absolutely loathes the Red Sox's font?

I don't loathe it, per se, I just don't think it's that great. It works well for the Red Sox, that's fine. They've had it forever.....*waits for another board member to possibly correct me :P*

It works for them becuase they're look is still classic and old-school. If a team getting a new identity were to use it, then I would probably think it would look bad.

That's a good way to put it. I was actually just about to post how I love the Red Sox font... for the Red Sox. Otherwise it's awful. But it works for the Red Sox because I've become so used to it. I couldn't imagine them with anything else... but if they had to switch, I wouldn't mind one that kind of works off of their wordmarks.

IUe6Hvh.png

I have always loved the Red Sox font and was very disappointed in the '80's when the road greys featured a block font. In the '60's, the roads carried the navy Sox font (and a much slimmer block BOSTON across the chest). In the early '70s, they added red trim to the navy letters and numerals -- and then the pullover greys in the mid-70's with much the same word-style as the current roads. But as someone else said, I can't imagine the Red Sox without that font...especially at home...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

When the Yankees began wearing munbers on their uniforms (1929, I think) the font they used was what we now call the "Red Sox-style." In fact if you look at pictures of teams in the early 1930s when numbers started to become commonplace, almost every team used the "Red Sox-style." At various times other teams have used it. The original Houston Colt .45s, the original Los Angeles Angels, the LA Dodgers at home in 1962 and the Yankees in the World Series in either '47 or '49. Ironic, a style automatically associated with the Bosox actually was debuted by the Bronx Bumblers. Ugh!

I am also one who hates the Red Sox number font. However, I would hate it even more if the Red Sox would change to a regular block font, which I love. The font still says Red Sox. That said, no other team should use the font because, well, it sucks.

Archived