Do you keep score at baseball games?

spyboy1

If I'm there by myself or with friends, I'll usually keep score the traditional way. If I'm there with my girlfriend, I can only manage a few innings before I'm distracted by her short jeans skirt that shows off her tanned, luscious, perfect legs....

Weirdest play: just following one of the multiple-throw rundowns, since I'm usually just looking for the out to be made, not the sequence of players with possession of the baseball....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep my own scorecard, with a slightly different setup than most.

Mine don't have diamonds to start with, but I draw the diamond myself as the runner advances, inserting the method of advancement in the corners. When the runner scores, I do insert the uniform number of the player who drove him in, if any, and then I circle that number if the run is earned.

For fly ball outs, just the position number of the fielder is written (unless the ball is foul, then it's F-#.) Line outs are L-#, Pop outs are P-# (FP-# for foul). Ground ball outs use each position's number in turn (Unassisted plays are symbolized #-U.)

LvZYtbZ.png

My dad used to be in a Strat-O-Matic league, and had to scorekeep for that league, so I learned how to keep score from him. I did it from ~10 yo until a few years ago, when I got bored with it. I don't know why I don't do it anymore, i used to enjoy it, but now it ruins my experience at the ballgame. I may try it at a Bisons game sometime to try to get back into it.

My dad taught me his style of keeping score. It is a pretty normal method, with the w/o diamond to start, but I draw the diamond as the runner advances. I can't remember any really odd plays, but I get annoyed by rundowns, so I just put RD instead of 4-5-6-5-2-5-4-5...etc.

saBS.png

i have my own way of keeping score... how many plastic cups i have stacked in the cup holder.

took a pic at wrigley last month with my "scorecard", but i haven't taken it off my phone yet :P

i have my own way of keeping score... how many plastic cups i have stacked in the cup holder.

took a pic at wrigley last month with my "scorecard", but i haven't taken it off my phone yet :P

That sounds like a good system, I'll have to implement it next time I'm out :mojoto:

I have a program on my old sony pda I use when i go to games. it lets me do pitch by pitch placement, pitch type, and speed. it also lets me place where the ball was hit. all the information can then be uploaded to my computer where i can print a nice clean scorecard. funny thing, thats the only thing i use that piece of scrap pda for now.

I kept score one. Last year when the All Star Game was here. The thing is I was doing it at home. Luckily, though, it was a very low scoring game so it was fairly easy to keep track of. I think I did well for my first time keeping score.

oBIgzrL.png

It's a dying art. I generally see only greyhairs doing it, full credit to them. I wish I had the patience and the understanding to do it.

Oddly enough, the one place where I saw the most scorekeeping was the ol' Stade Olympique during the Expos' final season.

I kept score one. Last year when the All Star Game was here. The thing is I was doing it at home. Luckily, though, it was a very low scoring game so it was fairly easy to keep track of. I think I did well for my first time keeping score.

Your only time keeping score was in an All Star game with all of the pitching changes, and pinch hitters. :shocked: I would not have the patience for keeping score of an All Star game.

saBS.png

So, I went to the Twins game tonight and was keeping score as usual when I got to score my first ever inside-the-park-homerun.

By a catcher, no less!

That's twice this week I've been at a game won by Joe Mauer.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I used to keep score at every game I went to until I decided to trade in my scorebook for my camera -- it's much better at capturing memories from the game.

If I buy a program at a game now I'll usually score the game a few days later when/if I have a free moment

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I used to keep score at every game I went to until I decided to trade in my scorebook for my camera -- it's much better at capturing memories from the game.

If I buy a program at a game now I'll usually score the game a few days later when/if I have a free moment

I balance it I have my camera in one hand and my scorecard in the other with the Pencil in my mouth

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This topic is EXACTLY why I started working for a company called KiDS ScoreCard (www.kidsscorecard.com). At the heart of my job is to turn kids on to keeping score at the game (regardless of sport, but obviously geared towards baseball). KiDS ScoreCard's intended snowball effect is:

1) Kids become better (more educated) fans.

2) Kids become more attentive fans, and thus pay attention to the game action instead of sitting still for two innings and then force Mom and Dad to chase them around the ballpark.

3) Parents will buy their kids other teams' KiDS ScoreCards.

4) Sponsors will see kids playing with their KiDS ScoreCards, and watch them bring it back to the ballpark throughout the season (not to mention while watching the games on TV, or using it for Little League practice or games).

5) Companies will be envious of seeing a sponsored KiDS ScoreCard over and over and over again all year, providing the KiDS ScoreCard sponsor with a "season-long" promotional premium instead of a one-and-done giveaway like a bobblehead (that disappears to a cluttered shelf or box at home.

In addition to our customizable promotional KiDS ScoreCards, we also have a retail version, sold inside ballparks across the country, and online at MLB.com and our website.

Oh, we are licensed with MLB Properties, MLB Players Association and Minor League Baseball.

If anyone wants to know more, call, e-mail or PM me.

Cards.png

This topic is EXACTLY why I started working for a company called KiDS ScoreCard (www.kidssscorecard.com).

Ooops. Typo there. http://kidsscorecard.com/index.shtml

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I went to a baseball game for the first time in a long time last night, but not for fun ? I had to fill in on the sports desk while we hire another sports reporter. I had a very rudimentary system going on my notepad, but I think I have everything I need to write the game story. If I knew how to score a game properly, though, that might be a big help for things like that.

I have a program on my old sony pda I use when i go to games. it lets me do pitch by pitch placement, pitch type, and speed. it also lets me place where the ball was hit. all the information can then be uploaded to my computer where i can print a nice clean scorecard. funny thing, thats the only thing i use that piece of scrap pda for now.

I remember being at a New Britain Rock Cats game a few years ago and saw someone keeping score that way. That's got to be cool.

I still prefer doing it the old-fashioned way, with pen and scorebook in hand.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I still do it, and everyone around me thinks I'm absolutely nuts for it - I'm the only 19 year old there interested in the ball game.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived