WSOP

hrivnak

So, ESPN covers the World Series of Poker, but it won't play on TV until later in the summer. Then why does ESPN.com feel the need to plaster the winner of the main event on the top of it's blasted home page?? It's so frustrating. Aren't they going to drive their own ratings down?

At least I didn't see who won this time, unlike last year, I turned my head away at the last minute. Now if I can just avoid the news while it's hot...

So, ESPN covers the World Series of Poker, but it won't play on TV until later in the summer. Then why does ESPN.com feel the need to plaster the winner of the main event on the top of it's blasted home page?? It's so frustrating. Aren't they going to drive their own ratings down?

At least I didn't see who won this time, unlike last year, I turned my head away at the last minute. Now if I can just avoid the news while it's hot...

Agreed. I just saw who won, unfortunately. And I've been trying to avoid reading anything about it. Makes me a lot less likely to watch knowing that none of my favorites won the main event. They did the same thing with the Espy's and I didn't watch them for that.

The AP and other news services cover it. Harrah's owns the event and will publicize their event. If you did not see who won on ESPN.com, you woluld have seen it on your local news, other news/sport-related website or even any national TV show. It apparently now is big news to seee who won.

As for the delay, the WSOP is nearly a month long. Why not repackage and edit the heck out of it since it takes so long it, create stories, and ar it later? They have never claimed that it was live, unlike some of the NBC Olympics coverage.

I saw a blurb in the AP Stories section of my local paper on-line, indicating the job description of the winner. I'm not saying more than that because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, and I don't want to know any more than that myself.

It is getting tougher to not know the winner, unfortunately. I got through up until last year without knowing, now 2 years in a row it's been spoiled.

The AP and other news services cover it. Harrah's owns the event and will publicize their event. If you did not see who won on ESPN.com, you woluld have seen it on your local news, other news/sport-related website or even any national TV show. It apparently now is big news to seee who won.

I at least know to be careful with other sources and I've managed to avoid it so far.

I'm not saying ESPN.com shouldn't cover it at all. My point is, I don't expect ESPN.com to plaster the winner's name and picture on the front page, because if they want me to watch on TV, I will be more likely to watch if it's not spoiled from the very beginning. I expect the website to cover it, but not shove it my face... show it on your poker page, or link to the story without naming who won in the headline (something like "WSOP Winner pockets $4 million" or whatever). From ESPN's side, it just makes business sense.

Too late for me. I browsed headlong into the player's name and face.

This makes no sense at all. Are they that worried about a leak that they want to get the name out before anyone else does? Who cares? All they've done is ruin the ending for me, and I'm not going to wade through weeks of preliminaries and the unbearable first few days of the WSOP just to see the person who won, win.

ESPN is beginning to do more harm than good for poker. The exposure and the TV cameras have made every doofus playing online in his house think he's Doyle Brunson. And the decline in table etiquette is deplorable - now everybody has to have an angle so they stand out and get noticed. Grow up, shut up, shuffle up, and deal. :cursing:

I think, when it comes to poker, it really doesn't matter who won so much as the suspense. We really don't know everything that happened except who won.

Part of the intrigue, TV-wise, is what hands the players have and how the hand unfolds. Let's not forget there is a lot of editing going on with player inteviews and on-screen graphics. I guess that's why they don't show it live. Actually, come to think of it, it's better NOT to show it live because who knows what kind of cheat would take place if that happens.

I think, when it comes to poker, it really doesn't matter who won so much as the suspense. We really don't know everything that happened except who won.

Part of the intrigue, TV-wise, is what hands the players have and how the hand unfolds. Let's not forget there is a lot of editing going on with player inteviews and on-screen graphics. I guess that's why they don't show it live. Actually, come to think of it, it's better NOT to show it live because who knows what kind of cheat would take place if that happens.

They tried showing events online on a one hour delay. They had to be sequestered all day and a lot of people who had to play there were not happy

who likes watching poker on TV anyways, it's almost as boring as golf. I would rather watch Soccer or even Hockey.

because people like to play and watching helps your play

who likes watching poker on TV anyways, it's almost as boring as golf. I would rather watch Soccer or even Hockey.

Can ANYONE provide even anecdotal evidence of this?

Can ANYONE provide even anecdotal evidence of this?

I think it does help a little. It doesn't automatically help your play just by watching it, but it can if you watch it, pay attention to what how they play and why they play that way, you can take something from it. You're not going to go from being a bad player to Phil Ivey over night -- or even ever -- by watching them play, but you can improve your game a little.

I used to be a decent poker player -- better than most of my friends, and they're all I ever played so I thought I was pretty good. Then the WSOP became big as Chris Moneymaker won and it became better to watch since for a while you didn't know the hands until the hands were done. I'm much, much better now. And I think at least a little comes from watching the best in the world play the game and trying to figure out and emulate, not their moves since it depends on so many variables, but their thought processes. I don't think it does much but if you think about why they made the moves they made it's impossible not to get a little better, in my opinion.

Archived