The Casbah shall Rock Once Again!

Avalancho

Now there's 7 teams in each league...just bring 1 more to each league and we're good. HELLO AGAIN MIAMI FUSION! I wish =(

Im shocked that the MLS couldn't make a go of it in all of Florida.

Not just MLS - Major League Baseball has been nothing short of a disaster in Florida. I don't understand it, either.

Now there's 7 teams in each league...just bring 1 more to each league and we're good. HELLO AGAIN MIAMI FUSION! I wish =(

Not just MLS - Major League Baseball has been nothing short of a disaster in Florida. I don't understand it, either.

Major League Baseball's difficulties may be explained, at least in part, by weather and/or stadium issues. I don't think either of those issues can be blamed for MLS' struggles, so I'm stumped.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The downfall of MLS in Florida can be attributed to a numbers of things including the following:

• Lack of further investment in MLS by Ken Horowitz (Miami) and the Glazer family (Tampa Bay)
  • Faliure to capture the latino market (Miami)
  • Poor Facilites in Tampa (The old Tampa Stadium) and Lockhart Field (Miami)
  • Poor marketing in general

patriotssignature.png

One would think, that with the TREMENDOUS history of support for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the NASL, that a team could've worked in Tampa Bay if anywhere. I guess the reasons given above were primarily the point of blame, but hey--- I think the "Mutiny" identity and that weird bat alien logo might've turned a lot of fans off.... bring back the Rowdies!!!

It is what it is.

The downfall of MLS in Florida can be attributed to a numbers of things including the following:

• Lack of further investment in MLS by Ken Horowitz (Miami) and the Glazer family (Tampa Bay)
  • Faliure to capture the latino market (Miami)
  • Poor Facilites in Tampa (The old Tampa Stadium) and Lockhart Field (Miami)
  • Poor marketing in general

Pretty much summed it up nicely.

I don't see MLS returning to South Florida until a soccer stadium is built in the city of Miami. When the AAA was built on the bay, there was talk of building a soccer stadium next door and the baseball stadium across the street, but that talk died down and the chances of another sports facility being built on the bay or nill.

The chances of a soccer stadium being built with public money are zero at this point. The city is waiting for UM's decision on the Orange Bowl, and if the Hurricanes do end up moving to Dolphin Stadium the current site of the OB and the renovation money will be used for the baseball stadium.

1997 | 2003

Major League Baseball's difficulties may be explained, at least in part, by weather and/or stadium issues. I don't think either of those issues can be blamed for MLS' struggles, so I'm stumped.

Or the fact that.. well... in Tampa's case atleast.. they blow. Atleast the Marlins have had success though. Speaking of which, I don't think either Florida MLS team was very good during it's existence either. But then again, it's Florida. Besides football, Florida is known for having pretty fair weather fans. Not to mention there's a lot of better things to do in the summer down here.

It would be nice to have the MLS back in Tampa though. I would go to a few games for sure. Probably the only way I'd ever pay attention to the MLS.

Well it's nice you get your Earthquakes back. Unfortunately Ching and De Rosario won't be coming with them. You think RSL is bad? I look forward to the Developmental League level soccer that will be played in NoCal next year by your San Jose Earthquakes.

It's unfortunate that Houston's players just can't return to San Jose, but the Dynamo are playing on another level right now. I have to disagree with your assumption that the Quakes will be a poor team next sesaon. Toronto has made quite a few shrewd moves in the early going and looks to be a contender in the east. As far as RSL...it looks like they're rebuilding with Freddy Adu as a cornerstone for thier future. With the right personnel movement, the Quakes may surprise some people.

Great to see San Jose back. Don Garber keeps impressing me with the way that he's running the league.

Or the fact that.. well... in Tampa's case atleast.. they blow. Atleast the Marlins have had success though. Speaking of which, I don't think either Florida MLS team was very good during it's existence either. But then again, it's Florida. Besides football, Florida is known for having pretty fair weather fans. Not to mention there's a lot of better things to do in the summer down here.

It would be nice to have the MLS back in Tampa though. I would go to a few games for sure. Probably the only way I'd ever pay attention to the MLS.

In the season they were folded, the Miami Fusion won the Supporters' Shield (Best Regular Season Record), and the Mutiny won the Supporters Shield in the MLS' inaugural season.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Speaking of which, I don't think either Florida MLS team was very good during it's existence either.

That wasn't the case. Both clubs experienced successful seasons during their time in MLS.

The Tampa Bay Mutiny finished Major League Soccer's inaugural camapign with the best regular-season record of any club (20-12). They also cleaned-up on league awards: the Supporters' Shield... Carlos Valderrama was the league's MVP... Roy Lassiter claimed the Scoring and Golden Boot crowns... Steve Ralston was selected as Rookie of the Year... Thomas Rongen was Coach of the Year.

In 1997, the Mutiny slipped to the third-best record in the league (17-15), with Mike Duhaney picking up the Rookie of the Year Award. The 2000 season was the best of the club's remaining four campaigns (16-4-12), with Mamadou Diallo capturing the Scoring and Golden Boot titles.

Ironically, the Miami Fusion's last season in the league was the club's best campaign out of four seasons. They captured the Supporters' Shield with a 16-5-5 record and Alex Pineda Chacon picked up the MVP, Scoring and Golden Boot awards.

Archived