Biggest numbers ever?

totc

42_2077003_11751_full-lnd.jpg

These appear to be bigger than the numbers on the backs of Australian Rules Football jerseys (or guernseys as they say down there) or the backs of the 1950s-era San Francisco 49ers, 60s-era Packers, or The New York Football Yankees. I'd like to take a tape measure to an authentic one.

These uniforms are made by Nike, and are not any of the current templates. Note the logo on the left sleeve.

30_07077006_11086_full-lnd.jpg

The 1950-60s Phillies uniforms might give these a run for the money . . . if only I could find a picture of the back of those uniforms.

No doubt. The throwbacks CBS Sportsline are selling don't do the numbers justice.

The early Seattle Seahawks unis had some huge numbers on the front of the jersey.

zorn3.jpg

What's really weird is that the guy trailing the play in white (#75) looks as if he's also wearing a Seahawks helmet. The jersey looks like maybe Green Bay but it's hard to tell. Wonder if the pic could be from an intrasquad scrimmage or something?

ETA: Looked further and found this. The b/w pic above must be from a scrimmage 'cause it looks like #75 is indeed wearing the Seattle road uni:

jim_zorn_seattle_quarteback.jpg

Next mystery - what's with Zorn's left knee? Was a life-size GI Joe the donor for a knee transplant or something?

The 1950-60s Phillies uniforms might give these a run for the money . . . if only I could find a picture of the back of those uniforms.

Ask, and you shall receive...

1950phils.jpg

This was the first decent shot I could find after a quick search. The numbers were HUGE. And the "1" was a stick "1". And IIRC the numbers were chain-stitched (like the Phillies' current wordmark, or the Cardinals, Astros, or your high school varsity letter). And I wish the Phils would readopt them like, yesterday. B)

Ask, and you shall receive...

1950phils.jpg

This was the first decent shot I could find after a quick search. The numbers were HUGE. And the "1" was a stick "1". And IIRC the numbers were chain-stitched (like the Phillies' current wordmark, or the Cardinals, Astros, or your high school varsity letter). And I wish the Phils would readopt them like, yesterday. B)

IMO chainstitching is the coolest part of authentic baseball jerseys. I wish all teams would do it.

Archived