VW considering a new logo?

Sir Donald

Volkswagen has a very simple and instantly recognizable logo which has seen subtle change through the years. In the end, though, it has remained generally the same. The German Car Blog is reporting that VW chief Martin Winterkorn has decided to give the logo a freshening, making the symbol larger (must be a trend) while also better separating the V and the W from the outer ring. The new look will be more 3D, but the branding itself will retain its central location on the grille. Look for the new VW ornament to bow on the Golf VI.

[source: The German Car Blog]

from Autoblog.com

As long as it's not too radical a change, which it sounds like is the case, I'm OK with this. The VW logo is iconic as it is, and I would hate to see them throw away the effort they have invested over the years into establishing it.

Or this:

true-cadillac-logo.jpg

to this:

CadillacLogo_med.jpg

On a side note, does anyone else here think that Mercury needs to revisit its logo? It seems so dated to me.

LM_logo.jpg

Yeah, I've never liked the mercury logo. It's like its a game of "What the hell is it?" A quasi-m type thing? An army patch at 10:00?

Mercury has such a potential to have a great logo. Cars, on the other hand...

:D

I like VW's logo...why change something perfect?

Because they're getting their butts kicked by the Japanese in the US car market, they'll try anything to boost sales. I agree though, their logo is classic, simple, and timeless. If it's a slight update I'm all for it, but nothing too radical, please!

Because they're getting their butts kicked by the Japanese in the US car market, they'll try anything to boost sales. I agree though, their logo is classic, simple, and timeless. If it's a slight update I'm all for it, but nothing too radical, please!

They aren't getting beat because of a logo. They are getting beat because of parts/services costs and the prices of their automobiles. Compare the cars that are in the same classes from the jap, amerc, and whatever other company that's doing well's prices...and you'll find out why VW is getting owned. Their Audi sales probably aren't doing any better because of the same reason.

Parts - expensive

Services - expensive

Cost of Car - expensive

I drive a luxury automobile and as nice as it is and how people compliment on how nice of a ride it is and what not, the service cost is just ridiculous. VW might want to look in to THAT before changing a logo.

They aren't getting beat because of a logo. They are getting beat because of parts/services costs and the prices of their automobiles. Compare the cars that are in the same classes from the jap, amerc, and whatever other company that's doing well's prices...and you'll find out why VW is getting owned. Their Audi sales probably aren't doing any better because of the same reason.

Parts - expensive

Services - expensive

Cost of Car - expensive

I drive a luxury automobile and as nice as it is and how people compliment on how nice of a ride it is and what not, the service cost is just ridiculous. VW might want to look in to THAT before changing a logo.

My point was

they'll try anything to boost sales
I wasn't saying they were losing the battle with the japs because of their logo.

Archived