U of Minnesota: new helmets

Mingjai

I haven't seen this posted here yet. This picture was on the Gopher's website:

AUFMDIMVDWVJQRH.20070618214734.jpg

LINK

This is better than what they had, but I'm not sure why the additional gold outline is needed--I'd almost like it more if they would have simply dropped the black outline and called it a day.

Anyway, there had been rumblings about Coach Brewster going away from all the black that has been used by the University of Minnesota football program recently. Most of the black was being used for warm-up and coaches gear, but there was a barely visible black outline around the M on the football helmets. I guess this also means no more black shoes.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

An improvement, no doubt, but that is still one vile outline. Serves no purpose whatsoever, as far as I can tell, other than (1) Reminding the world that a designer worked on the logo; and (2) Making the letter M much harder to read as a letter of the Latin alphabet.

20082614447.png

An improvement, no doubt, but that is still one vile outline. Serves no purpose whatsoever, as far as I can tell, other than (1) Reminding the world that a designer worked on the logo; and (2) Making the letter M much harder to read as a letter of the Latin alphabet.

Agreed. While a black outline made no sense, this seems gratuitous. I think No outline would have worked, but when I saw the thread title, I was really hoping to see a white outline.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ehh...not a fan. At least the black was somewhat inconspicuous. No stripe would be ideal.

I'm really holding out hope that the jerseys arent a modern template, but Brewster seems like a "get players input" kind of guy, and that usually spells disaster.

I hope the Brewster can coach 1/10th as well as he has sold the program. I like the coordinator moves, I hope he lets those guys do what they do and just does the rah-rah stuff, cause hes got that down.

I smell more concepts coming. I liked Bucco's. I'd be cool with those.

I read the topic and said out loud, "Finally!" Then I saw the picture and barfed. I was expecting someone to have made a good decision and just removed the black outline. Nope, they removed the black outline and then added a maroon one and a gold one in its place. Smooth one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I thought the Gophers overall look was one of the better ones in college football, certainly in the BigTen. Im disapointed that they are changing, even a little, but look forward to seeing the changes and how they stack up to their old look.

Their recent look was unique to them. No one else had it. It was classic, yet classy and still flashy, as well. It was a good look, IMO.

They are also going to the Penn State style helmets. Not sure who makes them but they've got the skewed diamond-shaped ear holes.

Those are Schutt DNA helmets. They are garbage. A concussion waiting to happen. Plus, They look like a cardboard box.

A concussion waiting to happen? I'm pretty sure they are made to reduce concussions, I dont think they would make a totally new style of helmet changing the shape and such w/o reducing the number of concussions being a major factor into the design.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

They are also going to the Penn State style helmets. Not sure who makes them but they've got the skewed diamond-shaped ear holes.

I always thought each player gets to pick what kind of helmet he wears. I've seen players with standard Riddell, Riddell Revolution, and Schutt all playing for the same school. Maybe now the helmet makers "sign" teams like Nike and Adidas do--I've never really paid attention.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived