Cal Ripken Jr Licence Plate

gueman

I'm a huge Ripken fan -- who isn't? -- but this is kind of outrageous. A license plate to honor one guy? Not even a soldier or a politician or some kind of actual hero that it might make sense for a state to honor, but a guy who plays a game? And a living person, to boot?

It's a nice design and all, but this just seems completely inappropriate for the government to be doing. Doesn't even seem like it's raising money for charity or anything, like these kinds of plates often do. Just seems to me that this shouldn't be a license plate, it should be a $10 decal that you put in your car window, like the NASCAR number in the back window of every pickup truck on the road.

20082614447.png

Considering he will most likely be the last Oriole Hall of Famer for a generation. You can now order Cal Ripken Jr. license plates.

ripplate.png

Cal Tag Article

Gueman - I don't want to tell you how to live your online life, but I'd like to kindly ask you to reconsider keeping that sig up. It's just a little gruesome and a bit gratuitous.

And $55 for a Cal Ripken, Jr. license plate? Actually, it makes sense. Stays true to the man by being overvalued.

And $55 for a Cal Ripken, Jr. license plate? Actually, it makes sense. Stays true to the man by being overvalued.

Oh, snap! I don't fully agree, but that is the line of the day in my book. My hats off to you, sir!

Gueman - I don't want to tell you how to live your online life, but I'd like to kindly ask you to reconsider keeping that sig up. It's just a little gruesome and a bit gratuitous.

It's also a photographic depiction of activity that is a crime in all 50 states (a felony in 48) and under federal law, as well as a crime in every Canadian province. It's no different from putting a photograph of an actual armed robbery or sexual assault in your sig: You don't have to be a closet fascist to think such a thing crosses the line of acceptable online behavior and might even warrant action by the mods.

20082614447.png

The "R" is goofy, but otherwise the design is OK in my non-designer opinion.

But I agree that the idea of having this as a license plate just does not make sense.

I hope it does not open up a can of worms. IL-Jordan MA-Ted Williams, etc.

It's also a photographic depiction of activity that is a crime in all 50 states (a felony in 48) and under federal law, as well as a crime in every Canadian province. It's no different from putting a photograph of an actual armed robbery or sexual assault in your sig: You don't have to be a closet fascist to think such a thing crosses the line of acceptable online behavior and might even warrant action by the mods.

I suppose you could argue that the photo depicts two dogs fighting, but not necessarily that it was created by humans (or is this some known photo from the vick case?) and therefore not a crime. Eitehr way, I think something a bit more subtle could have been done for a Vick sig than that not-so benign photo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Doesn't even seem like it's raising money for charity or anything, like these kinds of plates often do.

I didn't read the article posted by gueman, but the listing on the link where you can buy the license plate says all profits from each license plate will benefit "the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation and the lives of disadvantaged youth." (see below) An article in this morning's Baltimore Sun about the plates stated that Maryland law requires that the proceeds from all plates of this type (i.e., plates for a college, fraternal organization, etc.) must benefit some type of non-profit organization.

Press Box Store -- Ripken Commemorative License Plates

And what's with the random "R"? That black banner looks as though it was intended to have text on it.

The R mimics the logo used on this Cal Ripken commemorative magazine. I've also seen it used on some other commemorative Ripken items since his HOF election.

028_ripkena_t.jpg

EDIT -- Post No. 2900. I'm coming for YOU, Tank!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And what's with the random "R"? That black banner looks as though it was intended to have text on it.

The R mimics the logo used on this Cal Ripken commemorative magazine. I've also seen it used on some other commemorative Ripken items since his HOF election.

028_ripkena_t.jpg

Using it in conjunction with the rest of the name, it looks sharp. On its own, I think it's just goofy-looking.

I'm glad I have sigs turned off. I checked his profile, and Jesus. Why would that be considered appropriate?

On-topic, yes, it's a silly idea. But I think it's like this. If you can put your ugly kids on a postage stamp, then you should probably be able to put any damn thing on your license plate, poorly designed tribute logos to baseball players included.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As long as it's for a good cause, which it seems to be, I don't see anything wrong with it. The only problem that might arise is what happens if, as unlikely as it seems, Cal Jr.'s name becomes tarnished for whatever reason.

Here is another, equally recent example of one man on a license plate being used to support a good cause.

MED%20EPLP_2.jpg

http://themedfoundation.org/eplpc.html

I'm a huge Ripken fan -- who isn't? --

I'm not.

Yah me neither.

Me three.

Your an Orioles fan, but not a Ripken fan :o

I might consider getting one if.....1)I had a car & 2)I lived in Maryland

saBS.png

But I agree that the idea of having this as a license plate just does not make sense.

I suppose you could argue that the photo depicts two dogs fighting, but not necessarily that it was created by humans (or is this some known photo from the vick case?) and therefore not a crime. Eitehr way, I think something a bit more subtle could have been done for a Vick sig than that not-so benign photo.

First off I really don't see how the Ripken plate is any different than any NASCAR driver plate.

Secondly my sig is what it is. There is nothing subtle about dog fighting. I am glad you are all offended by the photo, and I hope you are as equally offended that the NFL and the Falcons are still letting him play or represent the team. I for one am not buying another thing at Home Depot until Mr. Blank removes Vick from the team. For those of you that say "Well he hasn't been convicted yet, let the court's handle the issue". I say all players have a code of conduct clause in their contract in almost every sport, that is independent of any court action . I am sure that dog fighting is a violation of such a clause. Mr. Blank and Mr. Goodell would be wise to make an example out of Vick. If the mods feel that that image needs to be censored so be it. I will take that as a tacit approval that Vick's actions in regards to dog fighting are acceptable to them.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

First off I really don't see how the Ripken plate is any different than any NASCAR driver plate.

Secondly my sig is what it is. There is nothing subtle about dog fighting. I am glad you are all offended by the photo, and I hope you are as equally offended that the NFL and the Falcons are still letting him play or represent the team. I for one am not buying another thing at Home Depot until Mr. Blank removes Vick from the team. For those of you that say "Well he hasn't been convicted yet, let the court's handle the issue". I say all players have a code of conduct clause in their contract in almost every sport, that is independent of any court action . I am sure that dog fighting is a violation of such a clause. Mr. Blank and Mr. Goodell would be wise to make an example out of Vick. If the mods feel that that image needs to be censored so be it. I will take that as a tacit approval that Vick's actions in regards to dog fighting are acceptable to them.

As true as that is, that is not something that I want to see right before bed, or any other time for that matter, because it is kind of shocking and yes, definitely gruesome. And I also hate it when people say that they need to shock you in order to feel their way about something. I agree with your points, as I have from the second that the story was reported. I could point out how there were n dogs found on the premises, or all of the things that were wrong with them like the a, b, and c, but these are things that I would rather block out. The impression has been made. I don't need to repeat the horrible things that I have heard or show the horrible things that I have seen on the matter, and I would like to spare everyone else that problem. And it's just as horrifying that you could go to Google images, like you likely did, search dogfighting pictures, and come up with so many results. Doesn't that bother you? Do you not feel sympathy for all of the dogs, and the hate for the owners and people who upload those pictures? The difference is that you did a search for dogfighting images, and I just clicked on a thread about Ripken license plates. I know for a fact that most people do not want to see that, especially if they don't go searching for it.

You can censor it and you can make your point with words (you had to, anyway), but I don't want to have to see that on this board. (Also someone might take more offense to your sig because of the "joke," which makes light of the subject.)

Hey, it's your sig. Do whatever you want. I simply asked that you reconsider it, and you did. Fair enough. But, the bold portion makes no sense.

Hey, it's your sig. Do whatever you want. I simply asked that you reconsider it, and you did. Fair enough.

OK, then I'll put up pictures of slaughtered fetuses until abortion is regulated, or disfigured war casualties until the war is over (note: these are just examples, not in any way related to my personal views of the subjects). Anyone can view these threads, and I think a little code of conduct would be nice. The Falcons may or may not release Vick, and if it turns out that this is something that could potentially drag on for the whole season, I imagine more people on the thread will be put off by your sig. For a site that does so well with curse words and hate comments, I'm surprised that mods let this fly.

Thanks for adding the bottom part of the sig, though. It helps preface what is going on, but the non-funny image is very uncalled-for.

Archived