NBA Ref Bet on Games

jkrdevil

Absolutely monumental stuff right here. The very integrity of the NBA is under attack. Best case, the guy's innocent of charges. Worst case scenario, he ain't the only ref (or player, shudder) doing this...

Der Kaiser Stern has his work cut out for him - and I can't say im very sorry for the guy. His imperial majesty needed to come off his high horse for quite some time now, I kinda hope this brings him down.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or does the pic of this guy on espn.com look like Nicholas Cage?

Also I think they are being a bit reptitive on espn.com...

"The FBI is investigating allegations that veteran NBA referee Tim Donaghy bet on basketball games he officiated over the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons, including ones in which he officiated. "

doesn't the FBI have anything better to do??? Like catch murderers, druglords and such?

Considering this is a part of a Mafia investigation I think they are trying to catch murderers and druglords and such.

Yeah they stumbled on to this investigating other crimes by the mob.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Absolutely monumental stuff right here. The very integrity of the NBA is under attack. Best case, the guy's innocent of charges. Worst case scenario, he ain't the only ref (or player, shudder) doing this...

Does match-fixing by a player make you shudder more than match-fixing by a ref? How could anyone compromise the integrity of a game more than those supposed to be neutrally officiating it? The only thing that might be worse (maybe) is if the matches were fixed from the top down, a la professional wrestling (not that many haven't suspected that as well in the NBA).

My point: what this ref has done is far, far worse than the Black Sox, or college basketball point-shaving, or Pete Rose, or even teams tanking for a lottery pick. In each of those cases a participant is choosing to value money more than winning, but it is their own problem, so to speak (along with their teammates'). But if a ref is corrupt the disadvantaged party neither merits losing, nor chooses to lose, and the whole system become pointless (other than the money to be made).

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

doesn't the FBI have anything better to do??? Like catch murderers, druglords and such?

I'll never get this line of reasoning. The FBI isn't like three detectives sitting in the basement of a Georgetown apartment building, you know. They're capable of pursuing many things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Donaghy officiated over Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series this year...

The spread was Spurs by 4; the final score was 108-101 because Amare only played 21 minutes because of FOUL TROUBLE.

Watching the game, I knew that the officiating was piss-poor on both sides. Like that bizarre three-second late call on Ginobili or the missed calls on Bowen. But now...

I've always said that officiating was one of the worst things about the NBA, something that needed a major revamp. These guys had too much power yet not nearly enough ability to keep track with the rapidly-changing game. And considering that they were given added ability thanks to the automatic technical fouls they can give players, they could alter the destiny of a team's season without any ramifications on them. The Crawford incident only amplified just how ridiculous it had become.

You know what? F*** this 2006-2007 season. Even though the Spurs won, this will go down as the most pathetic season in the association's history. Teams tanking, players not giving a crap, the marquee players weren't even bothering, the winningnet team couldn't even beat a #8 seed, the most memorable moment was a half-assed fight, the Eastern Conference was pathetic beyond belief, the trade deadline was a complete bust even though EVERY team could've improved, and the playoffs ended up being a mediocre bore-fest that only showed all the flaws that the league is in. And now it turns out that these incompetent refs were not only lacking in common sense, but one of them was legitimately altering games for profit? To help criminal organizations, no less?

I...screw this. I want football to start already...

GR30a5H.png

I agree that this does hurt the integrity and credibility of the NBA, but..............

This is a league where players routinely "mail in" games, especially in the Regular Season.

This is a league where the Regular Season up to February could best be described as "Exhibition that Counts".

I think the league has bigger problems in the credibility and integrity department than one ref fixing games.

I respectfully disagree. While yes, it is troublesome that every player isn't giving 100% for 82 games, that simply cannot undermine the legitimacy of a sport more than an official fixing the outcome of the game.

But is it not also "fixing" the game when one team's players/stars decide not to play at a high level and the other's do? Granted this is slightly less predictable as when you have a crooked ref, but it's just as bad when one team decides to win and the other doesn't (And when both teams don't try, like in the beginning of the season, well, that's just bad basketball). Sadly, the only real way to fix that problem is to lop off 20 games from the regular season. Which goes into the "never gonna happen" file, so the NBA's got some fundamental problems.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does match-fixing by a player make you shudder more than match-fixing by a ref? How could anyone compromise the integrity of a game more than those supposed to be neutrally officiating it? The only thing that might be worse (maybe) is if the matches were fixed from the top down, a la professional wrestling (not that many haven't suspected that as well in the NBA).

My point: what this ref has done is far, far worse than the Black Sox, or college basketball point-shaving, or Pete Rose, or even teams tanking for a lottery pick. In each of those cases a participant is choosing to value money more than winning, but it is their own problem, so to speak (along with their teammates'). But if a ref is corrupt the disadvantaged party neither merits losing, nor chooses to lose, and the whole system become pointless (other than the money to be made).

Not at all. My point is that this can go way deeper than one ref, and can include multiple referees and players.

But is it not also "fixing" the game when one team's players/stars decide not to play at a high level and the other's do?

There's a difference between affecting the outcome of a game and predetermining the outcome of a game; likewise, there's a difference between one player on one team underachieving and a supposedly neutral official tampering with the game in order to cover a point spread. Do you see what I'm saying? I understand what you mean, though. Underachieving is a problem for the NBA, but officials betting on games is a HUGE problem for the NBA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

RE: NBA Playoffs RIGGED! Thread that was graveyarded...

Dude, why would the NBA rig the playoffs in favor of, all teams, the San Antonio Spurs? Anytime the Spurs have been in the finals, it's been some of the lowest-rated Finals games ever. And yet the NBA would fix it in their favor. IF they would fix it for anybody, it would be the Suns. Cavs vs. Suns = Mad ratings, kid.

And besides we're dealing with Knicks games here...not Suns. PSD fans are horrible.

There may be more officials involved. This might be bigger than the Black Sox.

I doubt it will be bigger than that considering that scandal was the throwing of the World Series (although it was well known it was going on at the time). Plus gambling and throwing games in baseball was widespread at the time I don't think it is widespread in the NBA currently. When they said the Feds think he will cooperate I'm assuming they mean aid in the prosecution of the mobsters which is who they are really after not any refs. So while there is a fear that it might be a bit more widespread I don't think the league should panic that he is going to name names. To be honest even if it is bigger he might not know who else is involved if there are others.

But is it not also "fixing" the game when one team's players/stars decide not to play at a high level and the other's do?

There's a difference between affecting the outcome of a game and predetermining the outcome of a game; likewise, there's a difference between one player on one team underachieving and a supposedly neutral official tampering with the game in order to cover a point spread. Do you see what I'm saying? I understand what you mean, though. Underachieving is a problem for the NBA, but officials betting on games is a HUGE problem for the NBA.

What the ref was doing, and what the players are doing, is the same thing fundamentally. They are both predetermining the outcome of a game, the ref through questionable calls, the player by deciding that instead of playing to the best of his ability like he should, he would prefer to just mess around and get paid anyway. When a NBA game is played, it is based on the theoretical assumption that you will get both players doing their best, and neutral refs. The NBA cannot guarantee either right now.

To the Phoenix fan complaining in the graveyarded thread...

Your team failed to hold serve at home in Games 1 and 5. Which was their fault. Why don't you point some fingers there (and at stupid players who forget to STAY ON THE BENCH when melees break out) as opposed to the crooked ref.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived