Did Bettman force the Preds to break off talks with Balsillie?

IceCap

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course that is article is one sided from a biased point of view. It's simple spin from the Balsillie camp and scapegoats Bettman for something that is mostly their fault. They were the ones that were reluctant to sign a binding agreement and that's why the deal fell through. Can someone explain to me how Bettman could order Liepold to not negotiate with Balsillie? Liepold is selling the team anyway and Bettman doesn't even have a vote when it comes to approving new owners. So if Liepold was determined to sell to Ballsillie and most of the owners are behind the sell to him, like the Ballsillie camp has been claiming there was no way Bettman could stop it. When you get down to it Bettman has no real power and certainly can't order someone to not sell their team to someone.

What probably happened was Ballsillie was reluctant to sign a binding agreement because he wasn't sure if he was able to move the team because the team might (and probably will) meet the attendance clause plus possible legal action from Nashville. As a result Liepold makes an business decision that he doesn't want to wait the lengthy time it would take to get Balsillie's money (if it was actually coming). So he decides he wants to take other offers for the team. Ballsillie only has him to blame for that. He let the exclusive period expire. I find that it is probably far more likely to be the case that Bettman exercising some power he does not have. This is simple scapegoating.

Regardless of the exclusivity period, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do business with Jim Balsillie. Even without getting a team, it was obvious he didn't care about the Predators fans and just wanted to move them to Hamilton. He's a weasel and I hope he never gets a team.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Regardless of the exclusivity period, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do business with Jim Balsillie. Even without getting a team, it was obvious he didn't care about the Predators fans and just wanted to move them to Hamilton. He's a weasel and I hope he never gets a team.

Stop turning other people's arguments against them! :o

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The fans weren't there in Nashville. In two days Balsille's "Hamilton Predators" received more deposits for season tickets then the Preds had in Nashville.

Simply put, there are no fans in Nashville to care for. The team has not succeeded in Nashville. The team will succeed if allowed to move to Hamilton. The Preds in Hamilton would be a good thing for Canadian hockey fans, witch in turn would be good for NHL hockey in Canada, which in turn is good for the NHL period.

Fact is, Lieopold needs to sell, the Preds have done nothing but lose him money.

What does Bettman do? He tells Lieopold to sell to the KC group, despite Balsille offering more money then the Preds are worth. The only reason Bettman forced talks with Balsille to end was because he doesn't want the NHL in Hamilton. Why? Because Gary Bettman doesn't give a rat's ass about Canada, Canadian hockey, or Canadian fans.

The fans weren't there in Nashville. In two days Balsille's "Hamilton Predators" received more deposits for season tickets then the Preds had in Nashville.

Simply put, there are no fans in Nashville to care for. The team has not succeeded in Nashville. The team will succeed if allowed to move to Hamilton. The Preds in Hamilton would be a good thing for Canadian hockey fans, witch in turn would be good for NHL hockey in Canada, which in turn is good for the NHL period.

Fact is, Lieopold needs to sell, the Preds have done nothing but lose him money.

What does Bettman do? He tells Lieopold to sell to the KC group, despite Balsille offering more money then the Preds are worth. The only reason Bettman forced talks with Balsille to end was because he doesn't want the NHL in Hamilton. Why? Because Gary Bettman doesn't give a rat's ass about Canada, Canadian hockey, or Canadian fans.

Query:

Why would Leopold listen to a guy who has no real power beyond that owners like Leopold give him, and who is, quite frankly, a puppet of them?

(Or would it take Bettman's replacement doing the same thing Bettman does for you to understand that it's the owners keeping the Predators out of Hamilton.)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Of course that is article is one sided from a biased point of view. It's simple spin from the Balsillie camp and scapegoats Bettman for something that is mostly their fault. They were the ones that were reluctant to sign a binding agreement and that's why the deal fell through. Can someone explain to me how Bettman could order Liepold to not negotiate with Balsillie? Liepold is selling the team anyway and Bettman doesn't even have a vote when it comes to approving new owners. So if Liepold was determined to sell to Ballsillie and most of the owners are behind the sell to him, like the Ballsillie camp has been claiming there was no way Bettman could stop it. When you get down to it Bettman has no real power and certainly can't order someone to not sell their team to someone.

What probably happened was Ballsillie was reluctant to sign a binding agreement because he wasn't sure if he was able to move the team because the team might (and probably will) meet the attendance clause plus possible legal action from Nashville. As a result Liepold makes an business decision that he doesn't want to wait the lengthy time it would take to get Balsillie's money (if it was actually coming). So he decides he wants to take other offers for the team. Ballsillie only has him to blame for that. He let the exclusive period expire. I find that it is probably far more likely to be the case that Bettman exercising some power he does not have. This is simple scapegoating.

Does the stream of pro-Bettman crap that spews from your keyboard ever stop? The man could force the move of every team in Canada south of the border, and you'd defend him. He could probably turn hockey into basketball on ice, and you would find a way to spin it in Bettman's favour. Honestly, the man should hire you as the NHL's PR director. The man can seemingly do no wrong in your eyes.

Now look, it's one thing to say this is nothing but spin from Balsillie's side if there was no proof. There is proof, however. Emails to the particular parties involved paint the picture of Bettman doing all he could to force Liepold's talks with Balsillie to end. Why? Obviously it doesn't have anything to do with keeping the team in Nashville, as he seems perfectly fine having Liepold talk with the KC group. So why fight the talks with Balsillie? Because Gary Bettman doesn't want an other team in Canada. I would guess he thinks the six in existence is to much.

Yes, you're right, Bettman has no power to officially block a sale, but to assume the NHL commissioner doesn't extend a great deal of influence over these matters is naive at best and blatant spin at worst, on your part

As for Balsille's "Hamilton Predators Season Tickets" plan sinking his chances at buying the team, if you honestly subscribe to that theory, then you're a fool. The KC group has already sold all of the luxury boxes in the Sprint Center. So how are Balsille's actions any worse?

Query:

Why would Leopold listen to a guy who has no real power beyond that owners like Leopold give him, and who is, quite frankly, a puppet of them?

(Or would it take Bettman's replacement doing the same thing Bettman does for you to understand that it's the owners keeping the Predators out of Hamilton.)

True, Bettman has no official power in regards to a sale, but to assume he has does not extend a great amount of influence is extremely naive on your part.

As for the owners, they're just as inept as Bettman, and sadly you're right, they would probably choose someone just as inept as his replacement. But if a commissioner stood up and said "Balsille will buy this team, he is the highest bidder, and he will be allowed to move the team to Hamilton if he wants to" the owners would cave. The commissioner's influence is very strong indeed.

No, at the end of the day Gary Bettman, and Bettman alone, is keeping NHL hockey out of Hamilton.

When it's all said and done the same people who wish to deny Balsille and Hamilton a franchise would have no problem with Kansas City getting a team. If that doesn't say something about their attitude toward Canadian hockey, then I don't know what does.

Now look, it's one thing to say this is nothing but spin from Balsillie's side if there was no proof. There is proof, however. Emails to the particular parties involved paint the picture of Bettman doing all he could to force Liepold's talks with Balsillie to end. Why? Obviously it doesn't have anything to do with keeping the team in Nashville, as he seems perfectly fine having Liepold talk with the KC group. So why fight the talks with Balsillie? Because Gary Bettman doesn't want an other team in Canada. I would guess he thinks the six in existence is to much.

Yes, you're right, Bettman has no power to officially block a sale, but to assume the NHL commissioner doesn't extend a great deal of influence over these matters is naive at best and blatant spin at worst, on your part

Bettman doesn't want another Canadian team because the NHL's BOG and specifically its other 6 Canadian teams don't want another. They don't want another team to cut in to their revenues. Keeping the team in the US, though, is fine by them because at worst they trade one bad market for another, and at best, the market would have more potential fans than Hamilton.

Bettman is only discouraging Balsillie because...

1) The people who pay his salary and decide his continued employment want him too.

2) He's a convenient scapegoat because he gets blamed for everything "wrong" with the NHL. So what's one new thing?

Today, we are all otaku.

As for Balsille's "Hamilton Predators Season Tickets" plan sinking his chances at buying the team, if you honestly subscribe to that theory, then you're a fool. The KC group has already sold all of the luxury boxes in the Sprint Center. So how are Balsille's actions any worse?

KC had made no apologies for trying to lure a team. Whereas, I'm under the impression that Balsille has made it appear that he would try to keep the team in Pittsburgh first before the stipulations were added to that deal. Then when trying to buy the Preds, he goes and starts taking ticket deposits for Hamilton.

I really don't think Bettman has it in for Canada. I'm quite certain that a Canadian commisioner would do the same thing: keep the team in the States at whatever cost.

KC had made no apologies for trying to lure a team. Whereas, I'm under the impression that Balsille has made it appear that he would try to keep the team in Pittsburgh first before the stipulations were added to that deal. Then when trying to buy the Preds, he goes and starts taking ticket deposits for Hamilton.

I really don't think Bettman has it in for Canada. I'm quite certain that a Canadian commisioner would do the same thing: keep the team in the States at whatever cost.

Bettman doesn't want another Canadian team because the NHL's BOG and specifically its other 6 Canadian teams don't want another. They don't want another team to cut in to their revenues. Keeping the team in the US, though, is fine by them because at worst they trade one bad market for another, and at best, the market would have more potential fans than Hamilton.

Bettman is only discouraging Balsillie because...

1) The people who pay his salary and decide his continued employment want him too.

2) He's a convenient scapegoat because he gets blamed for everything "wrong" with the NHL. So what's one new thing?

The only Canadian team that would be affected in a negative way by a team in Hamilton would be the Toronto Maple Leafs. Their fanbase is so entrenched and loyal that the effect of a Hamilton team would be minimal at best. In fact the rivalry that would develop between a Hamilton NHL team and the Leafs would benefit both clubs greatly, making up for any insignificant dent the Leafs took as a result of a Hamilton team.

A team in Hamilton is a non factor as far as the Canadiens, Senators, Flames, Oilers, and Canucks go. The only team affected would be the Maple Leafs, and their so big a Hamilton team wouldn't even detract from their fanbase in a significant number.

I am so :censored:ing tired of this "Bettman's just a scapegoat for all that's wrong with the NHL" crap. Did he save a baby from a burning building or something? What did I miss?

This is the guy who's raped the game of its history and traditions. He's the one who has reduced the NHL from one of the Big Four to a niche league, and then rather then try to build it back up again he blindly assumes he's still on par with the NBA, NFL, and MLB, further sinking the NHL.

I understand the Vs over ESPN decision, I'm not going to add that to my list of things Bettman has done to ruin the NHL.

Regardless, he's more then just a scapegoat. He deserves every ounce of blame thrust upon him, and for the life of me I can' figure out he has as many defenders as he does. I've concluded his defenders are made out of southern fans who feel their indebted to him, and people who just like to play devil advocate because they get their jollies "stirring the pot."

Finally, there seems to be a false idea floating around that Bettman is just a mouthpiece for the BoG. Bull. He's more then that. As President/Commissioner he wields a large amount of power, if not on paper then on influence. If the Commissioner doesn't oppose a team relocating to Hamilton the owners who do oppose it will back down.

All though I have to say I envy Mr. Bettman a little. He's in a unique position. He can do whatever the hell he wants and get away with it because....

1) do to the NHL's irrelevance on the American sports landscape he's not held accountable for his actions....

2) when people do call him out for his idiocy he has defenders who insist on his innocence and claim he's just a scapegoat for the owners. They either fail or are unwilling to see that as Commissioner Bettman's power in the league is indeed great.

Pittsburgh's a non issue. Even so I don't remember Balsille ever saying he intended to keep the team in Pittsburgh.

As for the Preds, he was simply selling seats to a team he didn't own. Which is what the KC group has done. Again, how are Balsille's actions more brash then those of the KC group?

Then I guess we just see things differently. I would like to think a Canadian commissioner would do what is in the best interest of the game. That means the Preds have to leave Nashville, a failed hockey market. Balsille was the highest bidder, so why not sell to him? On top of that he want to move the team to a city that would great the team as heroes for simply showing up come game day.

He's the commissioner, he's in charge of the league. He should take the blame if something is wrong with the league.

He's the commissioner, he's in charge of the league. He should take the blame if something is wrong with the league.

.... Bettman should take much, if not most of the blame, but the owners should have their fair share of the blame for continuing to keep Bettman and not firing his :censored: when they have the chance or even voicing their opinions on situations like transfer of ownership. The Owners are the ones responsible for hiring Bettman and they are the only ones (unless Bettman resigns) than can fire him.

The NHL Owners is a rich-boys club that has limited membership and perhaps Balsille has done something that has upset them as well as Bettman. Until the owners (especially American ones (outnumbering Canadians by a 3:1 ratio) "get it" when it comes to how much Canadians mean to the NHL, then I will voice my displeasure toward them as well as Bettman about the same.

I saw, I came, I left.

Does the stream of pro-Bettman crap that spews from your keyboard ever stop? The man could force the move of every team in Canada south of the border, and you'd defend him. He could probably turn hockey into basketball on ice, and you would find a way to spin it in Bettman's favour. Honestly, the man should hire you as the NHL's PR director. The man can seemingly do no wrong in your eyes.

Well first off I am not a blind supporter of Bettman. I have been critical of him in the past especially in regards to the on ice changes that have been made. Particularly the change in Playoff format, the shootout, and general decrease in physical play. He can also be criticized for not holding the owners together in the 94-95 lockout. That said I do think he has gotten a bum rap overall and never really given a chance by the public and hockey media.

Secondly I am not denying that these e-mail exist. What I am saying is they are out of context. These are in all likelihood selected e-mails from the Ballsillie camp designed to paint the picture they want presented. I give Ballsillie credit he has used the media quite well. He has been able to sell the business move that most likely has little to do with hockey and sold it as nationalistic adventure. Bringing a big bad American franchise back to Canada. Of course his lawyer also was the front man in a bid to buy the Ottawa in 2003 and move them Hamilton (remember early on even into the Pittsburgh deal Ballsillie tried to keep a low profile and keep his name out of everything). So it hardly has anything to do with nationalistic pride and such. And yes I do think that Bettman and the league's management don't want Balsillie as an owner. In 2003 when his lawyer made the bid for the Sens he indicated possible legal challenge to the Leafs territorial rights (obviously not something the league would want). That said I don't believe Bettman ordered Liepold to call of the negotiations. He might have discussed some issues with him and indicated that approval would probably be difficult but at the end of the day it was Liepolds decision not to sell the team. A decision probably based on the indications from Bettman and Ballsillie's reluctance and thus he went (and is going) for the sure money. I don't think Bettman is anti-Canadian, if he was Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa would no longer exist as teams. By all accounts he worked hard to save them.

As for KC selling Luxury Boxes that is entirely different than Hamilton Season ticket. Luxury boxes aren't sold on a per game or per team basis. When buys a luxury box they buy them for all the arenas events. The KC arena is opening in october regardless if there is a NHL team there or not. There are going to be other events there such as concerts and a current tenant of the arena the KC AFL team. That's what to boxes are being sold for not an NHL team. The Hamilton drive was specifically for a possible NHL team. And also again I wouldn't put too much stock in the amount of those sold because of the frenzy of possible getting a team that is sure to die down and people will probably withdraw when looking more of it at a individual financial aspect. It is not an indicator of long term success (even though I don't doubt Hamilton would be a decent team financially). Likewise this current Nashville drive should be taken with skepticism as people are sure to give some up once the frenzy dies down a financial reality sets in. Whoever buys Nashville needs to do a better job of getting corporate support for long term health. They have the necessary average joe fans (and NHL policy is that any new owner give a good faith effort in the team current market).

BTW, I am not against a Hamilton team. I could care less I'm probably not ever going to go to a Nashville, KC, or Hamilton home game and I certainly don't care where the road team of a game I'm watching is from. My only point is that you can't take this article on face value because it is mostly information intentionally selected and given from one side. In fact you really can't take any news story at face value (especially one of this kind with one side leaking certainty information). You have to ask questions. What the Ballsillie camp did here is similar, although certainly not on the same scale or have as much consequences, is similar to what the Bush administration did in the Plame case. It is a leak of a particular information in order to smear and discredit someone.

Here is a good entry from James Mirtle's blog that has some good quotes from the Globe and MAil form 2003 on Rodier trying to buy the Sens.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/07/middle-man.html

One more thing to note I don't think the team is going to KC either it appears that Del Biaggio has backed off for similar reasons why Ballsillie was reluctant to sign a binding agreement. It looks like Nashville will hit the attendance mark and possible lawsuits from the city.

I'll be honest....this is probably the second time ever, in the five years this board has been open, that JKR has ever defended Bettman. You can go right ahead and look up all his posts.

And he's right. If Balsillie really wanted to show the NHL that the Predators are not successful and deserve to move, he should have signed that exclusivity agreement and bought the team and just let the fans (or lack thereof) show they don't deserve it. Then, when that happens, he's welcome to sell all the tickets he wants elsewhere. He was too reluctant to do so because he is aware that Nashville has a reasonable chance of making the minimum attendance stipulations. But the fact that he made his motives known without any compassion of the people of Nashville is very unhanded and made the people of Nashville, even those who didn't even care about the Predators until last week, more ambitious to prove him wrong.

And yes, when he was vying for the Penguins, he did make it known that he would make all reasonable efforts to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh before resorting to moving them to Hamilton. In Nashville, he didn't even want to face the idea that he would have to keep the team there. It was Hamilton or bust.

I find there seems to be a much larger anti-Bettman bias amongst the hockey community as a whole than anyone would be willing to admit. He is blamed for a hell of a lot more than he can be. It's a real shame. I'd have a beer with him, and I don't even like hair.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't think Bettman is anti-Canadian, if he was Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa would no longer exist as teams. By all accounts he worked hard to save them.
Forgive me if I don't share your outlook on the matter. When the Pens were talking to KC Bettman went out of his way to make sure the team stayed in Pittsburgh, despite the fact that KC offered a deal that any owner in their right mind would take.

When it was leaked that Liepold signed a letter of intent to sell to Balsille Bettman came out and said "the Predators aren't going anywhere."

When the Oilers were almost moved to Houston where was the zeal we see in Bettman today to keep the franchise in Edmonton? Where was this zeal when the Sens filed for bankruptcy? Make no mistake about it, Bettman fought tooth and nail to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh and the Preds in Nashville. I don't recall this zeal on his part to keep the Oilers in Edmonton or the Sens in Ottawa. I think the only reason he didn't push for those teams to head south was because he knew at the time he would have been crucified by the hockey media, and quite possibly the general sports media in the States as well (as the NHL was still somewhat relevant at the time). Essentially Bettman sat quietly in the background in regards to the Sens and Oilers. He didn't fight for those cities to keep their teams as he has done with Preds or as he did with the Pens.

Excuse my ignorance, I don't remember a time where the Flames were on the cusp of relocation.

They have the necessary average joe fans (and NHL policy is that any new owner give a good faith effort in the team current market).

No doubt Nashville is a great sports town, and if the general sports fan in the area came out to support the Preds then the franchise's future would be secure. That, however, hasn't been the case. They couldn't even get bandwaggoners to fill the arena during a season when they finished 3rd overall in the league, and challenged the mighty Detroit Red Wings for the regular season Western Conference crown. Not enough of those average Joe fans in Nashville care about hockey enough to support the Preds. Essentially because the Balsille deal was over before it began the whole "save the Preds!" movement ended before it could begin. No doubt the Preds will start the season with excellent attendance, but once the season gets underway with a team inferior to last year's, attendance will again slip to disappointing levels, and the team will again have to give away thousands of free tickets just so the Summit Center doesn't appear empty. NHL hockey failed in Nashville, so why not move them to Hamilton where they will be appreciated? Why keep them in a city that does not appreciate them, even when they are among the NHL's elite clubs? How much more money should be thrown into the bottomless pit of NHL hockey in Nashville?

BTW, I am not against a Hamilton team. I could care less I'm probably not ever going to go to a Nashville, KC, or Hamilton home game and I certainly don't care where the road team of a game I'm watching is from. My only point is that you can't take this article on face value because it is mostly information intentionally selected and given from one side.

No doubt it's told from the point of view of Balsille's camp. I ask you this, however; how many times has Gary Bettman shoved his point of view regarding the NHL down our throats?

The point of view, however, really doesn't matter. What matters is the security of the NHL. The Preds can't stay in NHL and continue to stay a stable franchise at the same time. Hamilton will great and treat the team as heroes. Nashville barley acknowledges their existence.

I have to ask however, if you are not against a seventh Canadian team (which Hamilton is currently the only realistic location in Canada at the moment) then why have you argued against the establishment of that seventh team in Canada?

BTW, I acknowledge you don't care who your team is playing, and I don't really blame you either. But recognize how much Canadians mean to the NHL and the game of hockey, and how much the NHL and the game of hockey means to Canada. Down where you are it's just an other sport. Up here, it almost exceeds the simple status of a sport. It's part of our national identity.

And considering how many of our teams have headed south of the border (including Hamilton's only NHL franchise to date) you can't blame us for wanting to see a team move in the opposite direction.

Here is a good entry from James Mirtle's blog that has some good quotes from the Globe and MAil form 2003 on Rodier trying to buy the Sens.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/07/middle-man.html

I'm not really sure what the point of posting this is. Back in 2003 the Sens were bankrupt, and relocation was a very real possibility. While I hope Ottawa forever keeps the Senators, if they had to move I would rather them move to Hamilton or any other Canadian city then move south of the border.

One more thing to note I don't think the team is going to KC either it appears that Del Biaggio has backed off for similar reasons why Ballsillie was reluctant to sign a binding agreement. It looks like Nashville will hit the attendance mark and possible lawsuits from the city.

Like I said above, the support for the Preds will drop off once the novelty of saving the team wears off, and a team worse then the one last year hits the ice.

Archived