Great Two-Team Uniform Combos

BallWonk

With the Nats off for the night, I'm watching the Braves at Giants game on ESPN2 just now, and it hit me: I'm looking at one of the great two-team, same-field uniform combinations in all of sports. Giants home plus Braves road.

I'll throw out a few of my other favorite possible combinations, all baseball, but I'd be interested to see what other combos folks think might be candidates for ultimate same-game uniform matchups.

NL: Braves at Giants. Padres at Dodgers. (If only Cardinals and Cubs could both wear home unis for a game, but I just don't think there are very many really good road uniforms in the NL.)

AL: Rangers at Angels. Royals at Yankees. Twins at Tigers. Red Sox at White Sox.

20082614447.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, a lot of teams that have great home uniforms have not-so-great road uniforms... or at the very least, they seem 'not-so-great' in comparison to the homes. The Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers fall into this. I think Braves/Giants is a great one and shum is right, Dodgers at Tigers would have to be the best if it happened. I like the Dodgers roads more without the white outlines. I think the list of great road uniforms in baseball is a short one. Dodgers, Braves... um... Cardinals roads are nice... I like the Brewers', but I think they fall in the good but not great category.

I don't know, maybe it's because it's always home uniforms that are so iconic and I compare the roads to them, which isn't all that fair...

There's always a ton of combos in college football, though...

IUe6Hvh.png

With the Nats off for the night, I'm watching the Braves at Giants game on ESPN2 just now, and it hit me: I'm looking at one of the great two-team, same-field uniform combinations in all of sports. Giants home plus Braves road.

I'll throw out a few of my other favorite possible combinations, all baseball, but I'd be interested to see what other combos folks think might be candidates for ultimate same-game uniform matchups.

NL: Braves at Giants. Padres at Dodgers. (If only Cardinals and Cubs could both wear home unis for a game, but I just don't think there are very many really good road uniforms in the NL.)

AL: Rangers at Angels. Royals at Yankees. Twins at Tigers. Red Sox at White Sox.

Surely Cards at Cubs...and the cubs aways are great looking in any case, but at wrigley, you'd get the pinstripes and the bat and birds (which looks great even on grey)...

also giants at dodgers, most beautiful, and yankees at fenway (not the other way round, the boston greys are rubbish, i want a return to the old block "BOSTON" letting...)

i saw the dallas stars playing in san jose a few years back... and san jose was in black, dallas in white. i'm not in love with either uniform, nor do i think either uniform is a classic... but for some reason, watching that game, this exact thought popped in my head... maybe the shark tank just has awesome lighting, but i thought that those uniforms looks great playing against each other.

but my official vote goes for, last season, chicago blackhawks @ st. louis blues. crap game with crap teams, sadly... but the blackhawks white and blues blues are 2 of the best uniforms in hockey, and thanks to bettman, they play each other just about every other day.

Hands down, Bruins in the home blacks vs. Montreal in their alternate whites.

A very close second is the bruins in the home black vs. Toronto in their white alternates.

Also enjoy Red Wings in white at Chicago in the reds....

patriotssignature.png

NFL

Packers at Bears or vice-versa

Browns at Steelers

Raiders at Chiefs

Chargers (throwbacks) vs. Bills (throwbacks) << but I think they only wear them at home

MLB

Agree on Cardinals at Cubs & Braves at Giants

Yankees at Red Sox or vice-versa

Noticed the other day how sharp the White Sox roads are...that black and white really pops on the gray uniform and I like the script "Chicago".

Now for the flip side of this thread. A few years ago the Jets and Cardinals played and I needed anti-nausea treatment just from watching the highlights. It was hideous.

295613331_241ab252cd_m.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

...Noticed the other day how sharp the White Sox roads are...that black and white really pops on the gray uniform and I like the script "Chicago"...

I noticed this the other day as well. The grey White Sox uniformes with the "Chicago" script look classy. Much better than the "softball" uniform black jerseys.`

...Noticed the other day how sharp the White Sox roads are...that black and white really pops on the gray uniform and I like the script "Chicago"...

I noticed this the other day as well. The grey White Sox uniformes with the "Chicago" script look classy. Much better than the "softball" uniform black jerseys.`

I liked the home ones they did too in the late 80's...

mn-ws90h.gif

MLB

Yankees at Tigers

Dodgers at Cardinals

White Sox (grey) at Cubs

NFL

Browns (white) at Steelers (black)

Bears (white) at Packers (green)

Jets (white) at Giants (blue)

Cowboys (white) at 49ers (red)

NHL

Red Wings (white) at Canadiens (red)

Canadiens (white) at Bruins (black)

Blackhawks (white) at Rangers (blue)

Maple Leafs (white) at Canadiens (red)

Any Blackhawk-Red Wings combo

Hmm, do I detect an Original Six like...lol

NBA

Celtics (green) at Lakers (yellow)

Pistons (blue) at Bulls (white)

Knicks (blue) at Celtics (white)

NCAA Football

Notre Dame (white) at Michigan (blue)

Ohio State (white) at Michigan (blue) and vice-versa

Florida St. (white) at Florida (blue)

Oklahoma (white) at Texas (orange)

AL:

Tigers @ Red Sox

NL:

Padres @ Dodgers

NFL

Packers(white) vs. Bears (Navy)

NHL

Habs @ Rangers

Stars @ Avs(Alt)

NBA

Oops. Nevermind.

And to address the original post, the Twins road is bad. Navy pinstripes on grey is god awful. And I'm a lifelong Twins fan.

Well this might turn into a rivalry thread :) , but I have to go with Avalanche in white against Detroit in red in Pepsi Center.

I would go with the exact opposite at the Joe. :D

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I'd definitely have to say the NHL usually gives us some of the best (pre Edge) two-team uni combos, historically. Pretty much any of the Original Six against any of the others works out beautifully. (with the possible exception of the 'Hawks black alts and of course Pooh.)

For baseball, I think I'd probably have to agree with the Atlanta at San Fran. combo as the best of the best. Red Sox at Yankees being a pretty close second. And maybe Atlanta at the Cubs or Cardinals tying for 3rd.

I have almost no use for NFL uniforms, aesthetically. The Packers in green being one of the few exceptions, so maybe we'll put... the Cowboys in white vs. the Packers in green as the best you can hope for there.

And... I definitely have no use for the NBA aesthetically these days.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I'll second Pistons at Bulls for the NBA.

I'd agree with Cardinals at Cubs, but I'd really prefer if the Cardinals wore red caps with the roads still. So I guess in a way I'm agreeing with BallWonk's home-home wish for that one. I am also a fan of the White Sox's road grays, so even though I'm not as big on this rivalry as Cards-Cubs, I'll say my No. 1 MLB uni pairing is Sox at Cubs.

NFL, maybe Washington at Cowboys.

NHL, I'll go with something different -- Blackhawks at Panthers (in white, circa 2003).

OK, guess I'm more than a little biased on all counts.

Well this might turn into a rivalry thread :) , but I have to go with Avalanche in white against Detroit in red in Pepsi Center.

I would go with the exact opposite at the Joe. :D

Whoa, whoa, whoa, how can you be both a Flyers AND a Red Wings fan at the same time?! Do I have to remind you of a certain 1997 Stanley Cup Final? :cursing:

Archived