Great Two-Team Uniform Combos

BallWonk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well this might turn into a rivalry thread :) , but I have to go with Avalanche in white against Detroit in red in Pepsi Center.

I would go with the exact opposite at the Joe. :D

Whoa, whoa, whoa, how can you be both a Flyers AND a Red Wings fan at the same time?! Do I have to remind you of a certain 1997 Stanley Cup Final? :cursing:

I was born and raised in the metro Detroit area. Been a life long Wings fan. But six years ago I moved to southeastern Pennsylvania. I love hockey, and couldn't watch the Wings here in PA. What else is a hockey fan to do but to start following the local team?

Back to the subject ... I always liked the Twins home unis. They looked good up against the Blue Jays road unis back in the early 90's.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

And to address the original post, the Twins road is bad. Navy pinstripes on grey is god awful. And I'm a lifelong Twins fan.

How do you think these are hideous. There not perfect but I really like them. Along with the twins alt away

63jpnaf.png

54cvrc7.png

256dy87.jpg

And to address the original post, the Twins road is bad. Navy pinstripes on grey is god awful. And I'm a lifelong Twins fan.

How do you think these are hideous. There not perfect but I really like them. Along with the twins alt away

The alt is hideous. First off, the jersey color doesn't match the cap color. That right there would be enough to make the alt a crap uniform and place it in the Rockies/Mets category of baseball's worst uniforms. Throw in bright white letters with gray pants, and placket piping on a nonpinstriped shirt over pinstriped pants and you've got a perfect storm of bad uniform design. This isn't about whether the alt jersey looks pretty -- I own one and wear it proudly whenever I can catch a Twins game on TV -- it's about basic design principles. By any reasonable standard, the Twins road alt makes for a terrible, terrible baseball uniform.

As to the regular road uniforms, as far as I can tell, a lot of people just don't think pinstripes on gray is pretty, and then erroneously conclude that not being pretty is the same as being badly designed. I have yet to see anyone offer a principle-based argument against road pinstripes that would not also require a rejection of home pinstripes. In the case of the Twins, the franchise has a history with road pinstripes dating to 1912, they make for really distinctive uniforms compared to the rest of the league, and the pinstripes give the uniform a darker appearance than run-of-the-mill road uniforms, helping fulfill the uniform's most basic purpose of making the two teams easy to tell apart on the field of play. That makes it an example of good design, whether you happen to think it looks pretty or not. You can argue the design merits of the road jersey script and cap logo, but the pinstripes are pretty unimpeachable.

What it boils down to is understanding the difference between whether you like something on purely subjective grounds and whether something is well done on more objective grounds. For example, I don't much like the use of black as a color on baseball uniforms. But I also think the Giants have one of maybe the three best uniforms in baseball, even though they use black as a primary color on nearly every uniform element. Would I choose those colors for my own team? No. But that doesn't affect the question of whether the uniforms are well designed or not.

20082614447.png

The alt is hideous. First off, the jersey color doesn't match the cap color. That right there would be enough to make the alt a crap uniform and place it in the Rockies/Mets category of baseball's worst uniforms. Throw in bright white letters with gray pants, and placket piping on a nonpinstriped shirt over pinstriped pants and you've got a perfect storm of bad uniform design. This isn't about whether the alt jersey looks pretty -- I own one and wear it proudly whenever I can catch a Twins game on TV -- it's about basic design principles. By any reasonable standard, the Twins road alt makes for a terrible, terrible baseball uniform.

As to the regular road uniforms, as far as I can tell, a lot of people just don't think pinstripes on gray is pretty, and then erroneously conclude that not being pretty is the same as being badly designed. I have yet to see anyone offer a principle-based argument against road pinstripes that would not also require a rejection of home pinstripes. In the case of the Twins, the franchise has a history with road pinstripes dating to 1912, they make for really distinctive uniforms compared to the rest of the league, and the pinstripes give the uniform a darker appearance than run-of-the-mill road uniforms, helping fulfill the uniform's most basic purpose of making the two teams easy to tell apart on the field of play. That makes it an example of good design, whether you happen to think it looks pretty or not. You can argue the design merits of the road jersey script and cap logo, but the pinstripes are pretty unimpeachable.

What it boils down to is understanding the difference between whether you like something on purely subjective grounds and whether something is well done on more objective grounds. For example, I don't much like the use of black as a color on baseball uniforms. But I also think the Giants have one of maybe the three best uniforms in baseball, even though they use black as a primary color on nearly every uniform element. Would I choose those colors for my own team? No. But that doesn't affect the question of whether the uniforms are well designed or not.

Yeah.... The road alt uniform looks good, not great, but good. The hat may not be a perfect match, call the police! but it looks good. I think the color of blu is perfect and has a very handsome look. I love the look of the jersey and I myself have one. I also love the away uniforms. I also like the Rockies away and they are very close to the twins so its not objective. I like the style of pinstripes on gray.

I may not be a fashion design major or whatever it is that puts you so high up on your pedestal, But I can still voice my opinions on these boards without running away and crying because some know it all tries to put me in my place.

You asked for what we think is the best combination, so i will do my opinion. Yankees @ Red Sox, Cubs @ Giants, Twins @ Tigers

Stop being an ass and respect peoples opinions

256dy87.jpg

I have always been a fan of pinstripes on the road. (Though I kind of cringe remembering the late 70's Cubs road unis.) I know I am in the vast majority, but I think the Twins unis, as in both, are some of the best I have ever seen in baseball.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Archived