University of Miami football to go nameless next year

jay_zoe2

There are no pictures yet, but here isthat article where it is mentioned.

Miami Herald

Among first-year Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon's well-publicized rules is banning names on the back of jerseys to emphasize a team-first atmosphere.

I actually really like the idea of the Canes going nameless, but unfortunately, I only see this lasting a year or so.

Miami Herald

Among first-year Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon's well-publicized rules is banning names on the back of jerseys to emphasize a team-first atmosphere.

I actually really like the idea of the Canes going nameless, but unfortunately, I only see this lasting a year or so.

i don't like when teams do this. I rather see the name on the jersey at least to know who the player is. Thats why baseball is hard to watch at times when teams don't have names on the jerseys. I see a #8 throwing a pitch and i'm like who is #8?

I see what you are saying about nameless jerseys when it comes to baseball and basketball, but football is a sport where you can pull off the nameless look. A great example of this is USC. I may not be a fan of theirs, but even I have to admit that they have one of the nicest looking jerseys in college football.

Miami Herald

i don't like when teams do this. I rather see the name on the jersey at least to know who the player is. Thats why baseball is hard to watch at times when teams don't have names on the jerseys. I see a #8 throwing a pitch and i'm like who is #8?

i'm going to have to disagree, personally... firstly, when i'm at a game, i rarely ever have good enough seats or eye sight to read the player names from the stands. numbers, no problem. names, it's a blur. secondly, when watching on tv, there's so many overlays and scoreboards and tickers and commentary that the name on the jersey is absolutely pointless.

No names on back = more room for piping.

Just you wait.

I'm waiting for the day when someone comes out with a jersey that is all piping.

I have to admit I loved it this past season when Oklahoma went nameless on their jerseys, being a Sooner and all.

I think it was a bold move and honestly benefitted the team in a lot of ways. I also have to agree that football and baseball are probably the only 2 sports where this can be done and be pulled off well.

Miami Herald

you must have a hard time watching a Yankee game.

i'm going to have to disagree, personally... firstly, when i'm at a game, i rarely ever have good enough seats or eye sight to read the player names from the stands. numbers, no problem. names, it's a blur. secondly, when watching on tv, there's so many overlays and scoreboards and tickers and commentary that the name on the jersey is absolutely pointless.

I couldn't agree more.

From the stands, the names are too hard to read. On television, they're redundant.

In the major sports, the only real benefit to them is requiring fans to buy more jerseys and t-shirts as players move around.

I couldn't agree more.

From the stands, the names are too hard to read. On television, they're redundant.

In the major sports, the only real benefit to them is requiring fans to buy more jerseys and t-shirts as players move around.

It's a symbolic move for sure...and will also make it tougher to ID players during this year's brawl/riot.

Gimmick! Gimmick!

John L(oser) Smith took the names off the back of the Michigan State jerseys when he became head coach. Yeah, that really helped. :rolleyes: It's good for a one-day story about how the new coach is going to change things.

All this will do is make it harder for the fans to follow the action.

Just you wait.

I'm waiting for the day when someone comes out with a jersey that is all piping.

I have to admit I loved it this past season when Oklahoma went nameless on their jerseys, being a Sooner and all.

I think it was a bold move and honestly benefitted the team in a lot of ways.

Yep, that "unity" really helped them pull out that Fiesta Bowl win. :P

Just you wait.

I think it was a bold move and honestly benefitted the team in a lot of ways. I also have to agree that football and baseball are probably the only 2 sports where this can be done and be pulled off well.

The only year in the last 30+ years that BYU went nameless was 2004--which also coincides with their last of three consecutive losing seasons (the only 3 losing seasons in the past 30 years). I don't think the fans would go for it again since they associate it with losing.

Maybe instead of taking names off the jersey, he should take the thugs off the team? I think that would be a start in a positive direction. Also, watch Nike convince them to add the names in a year or two, but something stupid like diagonally under the arm pit or something.

Taking the names off the jerseys can only help get rid of the thuggish "me, me, me" attitude that has been Miami Hurricane football as of late....

by "as of late" do you mean the last 25 years? :D

Bernie Cosar was a straight gangsta...

I think Miami's going to look odd without names on the back. Normally you associate no-name uniforms with simple uniforms i.e. Oklahoma. If they did it with last year's piping, it would look really empty. This year's piping, which, by Miami's standards, is ridiculously simple, it'll look somewhat alright.

Archived