Temple Football Announces New Helmet, Uniforms For 2007 Season

jimsimo

http://owlsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../072507aaa.html

1256838.jpeg

July 25, 2007

DETROIT, MI - The Temple football team will compete in new helmets and custom Adidas uniforms during the 2007 season, second-year head coach Al Golden announced today at the Mid-American Conference Media Day at Ford Field in Detroit. Cherry helmets will once again feature the text "TEMPLE," which adorned the Owls' helmets from 1972 to 1988.

"There are several reasons for the change," Golden said. "The first is for our current team to discover our tradition. The 2007 uniform brings us back to the most successful TEAM period in the history of Temple Football; a time that produced a 10-game winner and a final Top 20 ranking in both polls. The second reason is quite simply branding. When I was growing up in New Jersey, Temple's uniforms were unique. It was one of the most recognizable uniforms in the East, let alone the country. Somewhere along the way that got lost, so I wanted to bring it back. The last reason has to do with our overall football operation. Our goal is to be first in every endeavor that we believe impacts our football team. We now feel like we have the best uniform, not only in the MAC, but on the East Coast. We have our brand back and it is here to stay."

The jerseys will be solid cherry or white, with collar and sleeve trim in the opposite requisite color. The collars will be trimmed with diamonds to reference Temple founder Russell H. Conwell's "Acres of Diamonds" lecture. The Temple "T" will be featured at the "V" of the collar. As per Golden's directive last season, player names will not be on the jersey backs. The pants will resemble those worn during the Wayne Hardin Era from 1970 to 1982, featuring a white base with cherry blocks down the legs.

The Owls were picked to finish sixth in their inaugural season in the MAC East Division, in voting conducted by the MAC News Media Association. The Cherry and White did receive one first-place vote. Ohio (216 points) was picked to repeat in the East Division, followed by Kent State (203), Akron (171), Miami (163), Bowling Green (130), Temple (64) and Buffalo (61).

Western Michigan (175) edged Central Michigan (173) in the West Division. Toledo (138) was picked to finish third, followed by Ball State (134), Northern Illinois (90) and Eastern Michigan (46).

The 2007 season marks the Owls first campaign as a full football member of the MAC, after playing as an affiliate league member the past two years. With Golden at the helm, Temple signed the highest rated recruiting classes in the MAC in both 2006 and 2007. The Owls are slated to begin preseason practice on August 4.

Temple has six home games at Lincoln Financial Field in 2007. Full and partial season ticket packages are available by calling (215) 204-8499 or visiting www.owlstix.com. The only way to guarantee tickets for the much anticipated meeting with Penn State (Nov. 10) is to purchase a full or partial season ticket plan. Individual game tickets, other than PSU, are on sale via Ticketmaster at 215-336-2000 or www.ticketmaster.com.

923%5C362689.jpg

http://owlsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../072507aaa.html

1256838.jpeg

July 25, 2007

DETROIT, MI - The Temple football team will compete in new helmets and custom Adidas uniforms during the 2007 season, second-year head coach Al Golden announced today at the Mid-American Conference Media Day at Ford Field in Detroit. Cherry helmets will once again feature the text "TEMPLE," which adorned the Owls' helmets from 1972 to 1988.

"There are several reasons for the change," Golden said. "The first is for our current team to discover our tradition. The 2007 uniform brings us back to the most successful TEAM period in the history of Temple Football; a time that produced a 10-game winner and a final Top 20 ranking in both polls. The second reason is quite simply branding. When I was growing up in New Jersey, Temple's uniforms were unique. It was one of the most recognizable uniforms in the East, let alone the country. Somewhere along the way that got lost, so I wanted to bring it back. The last reason has to do with our overall football operation. Our goal is to be first in every endeavor that we believe impacts our football team. We now feel like we have the best uniform, not only in the MAC, but on the East Coast. We have our brand back and it is here to stay."

The jerseys will be solid cherry or white, with collar and sleeve trim in the opposite requisite color. The collars will be trimmed with diamonds to reference Temple founder Russell H. Conwell's "Acres of Diamonds" lecture. The Temple "T" will be featured at the "V" of the collar. As per Golden's directive last season, player names will not be on the jersey backs. The pants will resemble those worn during the Wayne Hardin Era from 1970 to 1982, featuring a white base with cherry blocks down the legs.

The Owls were picked to finish sixth in their inaugural season in the MAC East Division, in voting conducted by the MAC News Media Association. The Cherry and White did receive one first-place vote. Ohio (216 points) was picked to repeat in the East Division, followed by Kent State (203), Akron (171), Miami (163), Bowling Green (130), Temple (64) and Buffalo (61).

Western Michigan (175) edged Central Michigan (173) in the West Division. Toledo (138) was picked to finish third, followed by Ball State (134), Northern Illinois (90) and Eastern Michigan (46).

The 2007 season marks the Owls first campaign as a full football member of the MAC, after playing as an affiliate league member the past two years. With Golden at the helm, Temple signed the highest rated recruiting classes in the MAC in both 2006 and 2007. The Owls are slated to begin preseason practice on August 4.

Temple has six home games at Lincoln Financial Field in 2007. Full and partial season ticket packages are available by calling (215) 204-8499 or visiting www.owlstix.com. The only way to guarantee tickets for the much anticipated meeting with Penn State (Nov. 10) is to purchase a full or partial season ticket plan. Individual game tickets, other than PSU, are on sale via Ticketmaster at 215-336-2000 or www.ticketmaster.com.

ok the only gripe i have is who is the HECK picked Temple to fininsh first in the MAC EAST, needs to have there voting rights taken away

I like it, actually. Pretty awesome.

I actually think their success this year will be determined by their first scrimmage. If they can get by the Girls High Football Team next week, then they'll finish with three wins, at least. :D

philly.png

I like it, actually. Pretty awesome.

I actually think their success this year will be determined by their first scrimmage. If they can get by the Girls High Football Team next week, then they'll finish with three wins, at least. :D

idk Brain i hear them 5th graders are a good team :D

It appears Adidas is resurrecting the Champion number font. They did it with Houston last year, and appear to be doing it with Temple here. Big news for lovers of the curvy "7."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I take it back. This helmet looks sweet. I remember some scat back from the 80's who wore that helmet and went to the pros. Can anyone tell me his name?

Paul Palmer. Famous for the "Plunge" he would do in NFL endzones following scores.

I thought last year's set was pretty nice. I'll withhold judgment until I see the full uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the helmets too plain IMO...i liked the T better as well

As a Temple grad, I'm glad to see the Owls harken back to their successes in this updated uniform set. I also like the diamonds on the collar, since it references Mr. Conwell.

I was a big fan of last year's Temple set. However, I look forward to seeing this year's design on the field.

As a Temple grad, I'm glad to see the Owls harken back to their successes in this updated uniform set. I also like the diamonds on the collar, since it references Mr. Conwell.

I was a big fan of last year's Temple set. However, I look forward to seeing this year's design on the field.

whoa temple grad..any chance for psu/temple tix :P

I like the 'T'. I immediately recognized that it was Temple, no what what I was watching. It had good brand recognition. The new helmet just looks plain. I think I'm going to find those block pants, pretty cool.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived