Sign in to follow this  
cappital92

old Red Sox hat

Does anyone have pictures of the Red Sox wearing this hat?

Click Please

Click Please

Pretty sure the Red Sox have never worn any FASHION uniforms of any kind.

Click Please

Green

I don't think that's a fashion cap. If they wore it, it couldn't have been more than a couple of times. But nonetheless, I believe it was released the same season as the red alternate cap, with the intention of being worn by the club. I don't know if that ever came to fruition.

Click Please

They wore the red hat at a few home games and fan reaction was pretty negative. That may have put the kaibash on the white hat since I can't recall them ever wearing it. I was living out of state at the time, so I may have missed the white hat if they did ever wear it.

Click Please

They wore the red hat at a few home games and fan reaction was pretty negative. That may have put the kaibash on the white hat since I can't recall them ever wearing it. I was living out of state at the time, so I may have missed the white hat if they did ever wear it.

77777777777777777777777kv2.jpg

The Red Sox indeed wore that white hat on Sunday aftermoon game in the beginning of the 1997 season...it was called "the Milkman look" by the local media, and ditched soon thereafter.

See here!

I have that hat sitting right in front of me right now. It has "1999" stitched on the back if that means anything. ???

I have that hat sitting right in front of me right now. It has "1999" stitched on the back if that means anything. ???

It's a Cooperstown Flex, the same one I'm getting. BTW, does it feel tight on your head? I wear a 7 3/4, so I'm a little nervous about those strech-fits.

The Red Sox indeed wore that white hat on Sunday aftermoon game in the beginning of the 1997 season...it was called "the Milkman look" by the local media, and ditched soon thereafter.

See here!

I believe it was April 13, 1997, the same day the Red Sox unleashed Wally The Green Monster.

wally.jpg

40578228_tp.jpg

It's a goof. The white cap and red cap were both broken out in 1997.

IIRC, Brett Saberhagen was starting that day for the Sox when the white hats made their debut...

IIRC, Brett Saberhagen was starting that day for the Sox when the white hats made their debut...

I have one of those white hats. Signed by Jason Varitek too. I was sitting behind the bullpen at about..11 or 12, and after he was done warming up the pitcher, I got to get his autograph. I liked the white hats, but it doesn't work. The Royals had a nice white hat for a year or so, though.

See here!

I believe it was April 13, 1997, the same day the Red Sox unleashed Wally The Green Monster.

That has to be one of the suckiest days in recent Red Sox memory.

I have one of those white hats. Signed by Jason Varitek too. I was sitting behind the bullpen at about..11 or 12, and after he was done warming up the pitcher, I got to get his autograph. I liked the white hats, but it doesn't work. The Royals had a nice white hat for a year or so, though.

I don't remember the Royals having a white on-field cap, but they did try out gray road caps for awhile. Could that be what you're thinking of?

I don't remember the Royals having a white on-field cap, but they did try out gray road caps for awhile. Could that be what you're thinking of?

Royals, Orioles and Pirates all had gray caps around the same time, give or take a year or two. The Pirates kept theirs longer than the other two, but phased them out around '99, if memory serves me correctly.

Slightly off topic, but seeing those pics reminds me that the Red Sox don't look like the Red Sox to me with the red undershirts, jackets, etc. I know it makes sense for the RED Sox to emphasize the red, but they wore navy undershirts and jackets for so long, that is still disconcerting to me to see them in red.

And bring back the socks with navy and white stripes. Those things were awesome.