old Red Sox hat

cappital92

I have that hat sitting right in front of me right now. It has "1999" stitched on the back if that means anything. ???

It's a Cooperstown Flex, the same one I'm getting. BTW, does it feel tight on your head? I wear a 7 3/4, so I'm a little nervous about those strech-fits.

I'm a 7 3/8ths and it fits good, not tight at all like some flex fits. Although I don't have much hair, it's shaved down to pretty much nothing, I know that makes a difference sometimes.

This is the alternate hat the Royals wore in the early to mid 90's. I just picked up a new one and I'm trying to find out what years they wore this hat. Does anyone know?

9b0c_1.JPG

I don't know for sure, but I bought one in 1994 (still have it) when I went to a Royals game, so I am thinking they probably had them then.

Also, I remember the white Reds hat with red pinstripes from the 90's. I guess I forgot how many white hats were introduced (and didn't last long) in the 90's...

Yeah, I love hats from the 90's. The white ones with the team and city name in script were cool. I have a Charlotte Hornets one and it's one of my favorites(It also helps it's teal brimmed).

This is the alternate hat the Royals wore in the early to mid 90's. I just picked up a new one and I'm trying to find out what years they wore this hat. Does anyone know?

9b0c_1.JPG

I don't know for sure, but I bought one in 1994 (still have it) when I went to a Royals game, so I am thinking they probably had them then.

Yes, this hat was only worn in 1994. The Royals wore it on the road. They only wore it for the one season.

I know we're getting off-topic with the 90's white hat action, but I have to admit, the "Ice Cream Man" look of the Mets posted above doesn't look half bad.

However, those pinstriped Reds hats? Barfimus maximus. Quite possibly the fugliest things I've seen ever. For whatever reason, FSN South ran a Reds/Braves game from the 90s a couple of years ago, and I was utterly confused--flipping thru the channels I saw a baseball game on I didn't know was happening, with the Redlegs in a wacky getup I'd never seen before. Took me a while to learn it was a replay, but still I remember it because the look was so jarring.

As far as the white BoSox cap...that set looks okay, I suppose, but it's just not the Sawx. That being said, my opinions are going to be kind of odd anyway...after all, I'm bothered by the amount of blue the Red Sox wear.

I know it's tradition and history and all that, and I also know that they are the Red SOX, not Red "Everything else," but still. The Reds, Blue Jackets, and Blues play up the colors in their names, and the White Sox of course wear a lot of white (duh, though Black is more of their branding color). Just bothers me there's not a ton of Red in the day to day Boston scheme (ignoring the alt stuff, of course).

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I dug the red cap the Red Sox wore in the 70s. It was different (different color "B") than the one they wore a few years ago.

I have the Orioles grey alternate cap from a few years ago. Its like brand new. I think it got worn once.

9b0c_1.JPG

Yes, this hat was only worn in 1994. The Royals wore it on the road. They only wore it for the one season.

So let me correct myself to say the Orioles had their gray hats about the same time as just the Royals? Perhaps an Orioles fan can help out.

The Pirates' gray hat came along later. They went to theirs in '97 when they introduced the current primary logo and broke out new uniforms (pinstripes on the road, removal of piping and new Pirates font at home, black alternate jersey and came out with the first edition of the red-billed black cap). I actually had a gray Bucs cap with the yellow P, which was quickly changed to a black P (I had one of those, too). I'm not sure if the hats with the yellow P ever saw game action.

I'm bothered by the amount of blue the Red Sox wear.

I know it's tradition and history and all that, and I also know that they are the Red SOX, not Red "Everything else," but still.

The current ownership has added a lot more red to the Red Sox uniform. Undershirts and (home) dugout jackets are now red instead of navy blue. The team also now wears a solid red sock without the white and navy blue stripes (much to my disappointment). Then there are the red alts and BP caps.

and the White Sox of course wear a lot of white (duh, though Black is more of their branding color).

I don't know as the White Sox wear any more white than any other team. Plus, their socks are black.

9b0c_1.JPG

So let me correct myself to say the Orioles had their gray hats about the same time as just the Royals? Perhaps an Orioles fan can help out.

The Pirates' gray hat came along later. They went to theirs in '97 when they introduced the current primary logo and broke out new uniforms (pinstripes on the road, removal of piping and new Pirates font at home, black alternate jersey and came out with the first edition of the red-billed black cap). I actually had a gray Bucs cap with the yellow P, which was quickly changed to a black P (I had one of those, too). I'm not sure if the hats with the yellow P ever saw game action.

1993-1996.

heh, I know neither the Royals nor the O's had gray caps back in 93 or 94. That's a fact...I forget whether it was 95 or 96, but their gray caps debuted (and were largely ditched) in the same year. I recall the early 90s oriole was still in use, so it could only have been 95 or 96.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

heh, I know neither the Royals nor the O's had gray caps back in 93 or 94. That's a fact...I forget whether it was 95 or 96, but their gray caps debuted (and were largely ditched) in the same year. I recall the early 90s oriole was still in use, so it could only have been 95 or 96.

According to "Dressed to the Nines," the Orioles used a gray road cap in '95 and '96 and the Pirates used one in '97-'00.

The current ownership has added a lot more red to the Red Sox uniform. Undershirts and (home) dugout jackets are now red instead of navy blue. The team also now wears a solid red sock without the white and navy blue stripes (much to my disappointment). Then there are the red alts and BP caps.

Good call on the red undershirts and the jackets, thanks. And the Sox? Well, stripes would be good, but I am happy the Red Sox actually wear Red Sox/Socks. Striped or not--and I'm not saying this like they have or haven't in the past...just saying (honestly too lazy to look on Nines).

and the White Sox of course wear a lot of white (duh, though Black is more of their branding color).
I don't know as the White Sox wear any more white than any other team. Plus, their socks are black.

Didn't know they used more white than any other team...since white's kinda everyone's home. Hmm. I'll have to look into that. And I find it ironic that they wore White Sox in the Black Sox scandal era...and the present day White Sox (who try to ignore that part of their history, despite keeping the name) wear what? "Black Sox." :wacko:

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

• 2 weeks later...

9b0c_1.JPG

After some research, I found this hat was worn in 1995. The Royals only wore it for one season.

Archived