High School Concept: Phase 1

GeauxColonels

OK, I really would like to create a concept image for my high school alma mater. All of the sports teams use pretty much the same color-scheme but not the same logo. I think it would be much better if the teams had one, unifying logo that sort-of "branded" the school.

The nickname is "Tigers" and colors are Purple and "Vegas" Gold.

I have 2 basic questions that I think would help greatly in steering where this design is going:

[1] Which type of tiger logo do you feel works best - head shot, full-body side profile; ful-body action (pouncing or stalking)?

[2] I want the wordmark to be a nice, "beefy", solid looking serif-style font. Do any of you have suggestions on specific fonts? Or where I can look for some quality fonts?

Thanks so much in advance for the input. I plan to share this as the design process goes along.

gYH2mW9.png

i would recommend basing your logo after the Cincy Bengals pouncing logo. Not copy or rip off, just use it as a reference.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Just about the onlyt tiger you didn't show.

tigers.jpg??

Definitely didn't want to forget that one.

The reason I posted most of the others is that they're fairly new (with the exception of Memphis) and it also gives people a reference point to voice whether or not they feel face/head logos or full-body/action logos work better.

gYH2mW9.png

How are you all gonna diss the coolest tiger of them all (i'm disappointed in you all, hang your heads in shame)...

img_tony.gif

K_tony_thumbs_up.jpg

Of course if you are going to think about cats, you also should look in to...

mufasa2.jpg

FLORIDA_PANTHERS_LOGO.jpg

And plenty more...I think if you are going to use a lion/cat logo, you gotta look at every possible logo out there for a lion, regardless of sport, or whatever product. There are various looks that can inspire you.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Of course if you are going to think about cats, you also should look in to...

FLORIDA_PANTHERS_LOGO.jpg

And plenty more...I think if you are going to use a lion/cat logo, you gotta look at every possible logo out there for a lion, regardless of sport, or whatever product. There are various looks that can inspire you.

The Panthers logo is a definite possbile influence. The question remains though:

Which type of Tiger/Cat logo is better [1]Head/Face [2]Body/Action??

gYH2mW9.png

WOW! Way to get your basic reference research done by everyone! I wish I thought of that!

Not so much getting the research done by them, I'm just getting ideas of what people prefer. If I'm going to create a logo, I want something that will look appealing.

gYH2mW9.png

Here's my slightly biased submissions....

Not the greatest quality logo, but it gets the body shape/positioning across-

Aubur_7316.gif

This is AU's current alternate, which is a slightly different approach to a tiger logo than most others....

Aubur_2432.gif

I've seen the Auburn one before and thought about it, but there's actually another high school locally that uses it.

I really think, personally, and action logo is the best fit.

gYH2mW9.png

Some things you may want to know about drawing tigers and perspectives...

- Unlike most other big cats, tigers have alot of fur on their face. If you look at the cheeks of most of those tiger logos you have up there, you will see the fur that I am talking about.

- One of the easiest perspectives to draw is the straight-on perspective. That way you can just mirror one side of the cat's face to make the other side. However, if your feeling a little more ambicious in your drawing style, you can try a 3/4 profile. It takes a little more skill than the straight-on approach, but a well-rendered 3/4th profile will look better than a full profile 9 out of 10 times because of the depth it adds. There are always side profiles, but for this job I think you should look at the other options alot harder.

- You need to decide what you are looking for in terms of the tiger's action. Is he roaring and fearsome? Or is he proud and majestic? Is he pouncing or sitting or stalking? When you figure this out, go look for pictures that display that action.

- Try tracing two or three tigers before you start drawing your tiger. Then draw one or two freehand from pictures. This will give you a good idea of the shapes and curves that tigers have. I do this when I have bigger design jobs. It really helps...

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me....

GFB

Archived