Big Ten wants to adding a member

footballfiji

The Big Ten is looking to add a new member in hopes to better expand their new "Big Ten Network".

SI.com

So who would you add?

Personally I would add Pitt or Iowa State.

If Pitt was added:

Division 1:

Penn State

Pitt

Ohio State

Indiana

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2:

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Purdue

or if Iowa State was added:

Division 1:

Penn State

Ohio State

Indiana

Purdue

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2:

Iowa

Iowa State

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Wisconsin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another conference mimicking the SEC, just like the ACC, Big XII, and MAC have. Pretty soon, the Pac-10 will want to add two teams so they can have a money-generating Conference Championship game.

The Big Eleven might be best going after Iowa State, since the Big East just got raped of their football schools a few years ago. Then the Big XII can go after Colorado State or TCU, leaving the Mountain West with an even 8 schools.

I've always thought about the Big Ten adding another team so that they could get that lucrative championship game. In my mind, some options would be:

- Notre Dame (geographically and traditionally, this would be the best choice, but the major problem lies in ND themselves and if they are willing to leave their lucrative deal on their own and go with a conference affiliation).

- Iowa State (geographically fits, decent team who is up to the Big Ten standard. Big 12 would probably have an easy job of replacing them with either TCU or Colorado State, and Boise State could then join the Mountain West).

I don't see Big East teams moving over to the Big Ten. Another idea would possibly be a MAC school or maybe even Marshall U., but they surely are longshots.

Another thing to think of would be the conference's name. I know Big Ten is historic, and has stood the test of time even with 11 teams. A possible name of Super 12 or Classic 12 would be a good name in my mind.

Notre Dame or Mizzou are the only two teams I'd really wanna see. And Mizzou is only because I live in Missouri.

I don't want a name change. But whatever.

Notre Dame not only already has a great thing going, but they've joined the Big East in other sports. I don't see it happening.

Mizzou's not gonna leave the Big XII.

I also just plain hate the idea of the divisions and conference championship game. I really, really hate that.

Yet another conference mimicking the SEC, just like the ACC, Big XII, and MAC have. Pretty soon, the Pac-10 will want to add two teams so they can have a money-generating Conference Championship game.

The Big Eleven might be best going after Iowa State, since the Big East just got raped of their football schools a few years ago. Then the Big XII can go after Colorado State or TCU, leaving the Mountain West with an even 8 schools.

They could do that. Realistically they should go get Pitt, assuming that Notre Dame is off the table. At that point the Big East could add the University of Central Florida, and for the heck of it, the Pac-10 could add 2 of either Nevada, UNLV, San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Utah, or BYU (The PAC-10 likes to have pairs in the respective states). At that point the conference that loses the next two schools could grab some combination of schools the replace them including such notables as Boise State, Rice, Tulsa, etc. No matter what were to happen, it sets off a nice domino effect that everyone feels in some way or another.

Not to totally threadjack here, but personally I love this kind of stuff and have been waiting for the Big Ten to make the plunge for years. If they are going to do it though, maybe they should consider not adding the requisite championship game that comes with it. The idea of seeing the Michigan-Ohio State winner have to show up on a snowy Soldier Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium two weeks later to play someone like a Northwestern or a Minnesota diminshes the league's stature a bit. As someone who was in love with the idea of an ACC Championship Game until they actually saw it come off (a half empty Alltel Stadium for Wake Forest and Georgia Tech comes to mind), these things aren't all they seem to be. Nowadays its just about the money and the right to go to somewhat less meaningful bowl than it used to be. It works in the SEC, not too many other places.

Notre Dame or Mizzou are the only two teams I'd really wanna see. And Mizzou is only because I live in Missouri.

Notre Dame not only already has a great thing going, but they've joined the Big East in other sports. I don't see it happening.

I also just plain hate the idea of the divisions and conference championship game. I really, really hate that.

You would have your definitive conference champion, which is what all the Big Ten fans would care about most.

The list really begins and ends with Notre Dame. But, since the media will continue to pimp and overrate Notre Dame for eternity, they will exult in their independent status.

If you can't have them, though, I would propose trying to talk some poor MAC school into jumping up so they can get killed 6 or 7 times a year.

If the MAC schools are too smart for that, perhaps talking to a playoff subdivision school like Illinois State would work.

Quite frankly, the Big Ten should content itself to being a Midwestern Conference; Penn State's probably too far to the East already. So any of the Big East schools are pretty much out of contention. (Except maybe Louisville or Cinicinnati, neither of which I believe they'd let go). I don't want Pitt in the Conference, Syracuse is not necessary, and Rutgers would be ludicrous.

The Big XII would not let Mizzou or Iowa State go. The North Division is bad enough already without them raiding a mid-major conference for a replacement team.

---------------------------------------------

broncoempire...I'm pretty sure the Super Big Ten would put Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions. (But incorporate the "rivalry game" the SEC has.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You would have your definitive conference champion, which is what all the Big Ten fans would care about most.

Eh. I don't. I think how it's done now is fine. And that's not at all because the Illini haven't been relevant in the convo for a few years. They're about to make themselves relevant.

Not to totally threadjack here, but personally I love this kind of stuff and have been waiting for the Big Ten to make the plunge for years. If they are going to do it though, maybe they should consider not adding the requisite championship game that comes with it. The idea of seeing the Michigan-Ohio State winner have to show up on a snowy Soldier Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium two weeks later to play someone like a Northwestern or a Minnesota diminshes the league's stature a bit. As someone who was in love with the idea of an ACC Championship Game until they actually saw it come off (a half empty Alltel Stadium for Wake Forest and Georgia Tech comes to mind), these things aren't all they seem to be. Nowadays its just about the money and the right to go to somewhat less meaningful bowl than it used to be. It works in the SEC, not too many other places.

They would probably put Michigan and OSU in different divisions. The ACC has Florida State and Miami in seperate divisions. Of course their hope is that Michigan and OSU meet for the title game.

The Big Eleven would probably sellout their game, regardless of who's playing. They, like the SEC, are a football-first conference.

Eh. I don't. I think how it's done now is fine. And that's not at all because the Illini haven't been relevant in the convo for a few years. They're about to make themselves relevant.

I think they'll get a bowl invite, but that's about it in the relevance department for this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I do see where the Big Ten needs a Conference championship game, simply to provide a tune-up for the champion in the event that they find themselves in the National Championship Game.

That, or somebody could explain to the Big Ten Presidents....

THAT THEY CAN SCHEDULE GAMES AFTER THANKSGIVING, IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY, EVERYONE ELSE :censored: ING DOES IT, AND MAYBE THAT WAY YOUR CONFERENCE CHAMPION WON'T PLAY LIKE THEY HAVE MORE RUST THAN THE :censored: ING TITANIC BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED A DOWN IN NEARLY TWO :censored: ING MONTHS!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Duh on ND being added, the math error conference has been trying for years. I would be shocked to see them join. I think the main three are Mizzou, Syracuse and Pitt. If the Big 12 losses Mizzou I could see TCU joining the Big 12. WHo would move the the North Division, I do not know. As far as a Big East replacement I don't have a clue but I would love to see UCF take that spot or Marshall.

Duh on ND being added, the math error conference has been trying for years. I would be shocked to see them join. I think the main three are Mizzou, Syracuse and Pitt. If the Big 12 losses Mizzou I could see TCU joining the Big 12. WHo would move the the North Division, I do not know. As far as a Big East replacement I don't have a clue but I would love to see UCF take that spot or Marshall.

The rumors about Notre Dame have been there since the early 1990's. They won't join a conference unless a football playoff will only include a full member of a conference.

I don't think Iowa State is viable since it does not bring them more TV audiences. Too little population wold be added.

Missouri has also been mentioned before due to its location between St. Louis and Kansas City. I think they are too deep into Big XII.

I think they ARE looking at a Big East school...Rutgers. It would let them finally play Penn State, the Big 10 would get the NYC market, there have both Chicago and NYC for TV. I could also see Louisville and South Florida (many midwest transplants and retirees) over Pitt. Where their ESPN+ football games are shown may also play part in this decision to invite a school.

When I lived in Fort Worth, TCU supporters claimed that Baylor was put into the Big XII due to greater legislative support combined with the NCAA penalties TCU received just after SMU's death penalty. They were nearly the 2nd school to be canned. In fact, since the Dallas Morning News did a recent article on how it was Baylor as the private candidate over SMU and TCU. TCU is still bitter.

As for the Pac-10 expansion, rumors have been on at least three schools with legitimate shots/aspriations: UNLV (due to its emerging TV market), Texas, and Colorado. Those who are still thinking Fresno State forget it as that school's recent troubles with discrimination and probation within their Athletic Department, lower academics, and poor media market keep them out.

I always thought when/if the pac-10 upgraded to 12 one should be boise st. However I dont think boise is that strong in other sports besides football, although I admit I am just assuming. For a second school I look to UNLV also, or maybe a BYU.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I always thought when/if the pac-10 upgraded to 12 one should be boise st. However I dont think boise is that strong in other sports besides football, although I admit I am just assuming. For a second school I look to UNLV also, or maybe a BYU.

Never say will not expand.

In terms of Neilsen media markets, Las Vegas is #43, Boise is #118, and Salt Lake City/Provo is #35. That means a heck of a lot.

Currently, the Big Ten has Chicago (2), Detroit (11; not including Toledo), Minn/STP(15), Indianapolis (25), Columbus (32), Milwaukee (34). This is why think they want the #1 market; plus they are partly funded by Comcast. I really don't need to bring up the SEC since they still filter into metropolitan areas. Pac-10 is also in larger areas as well. San Diego State could also be a Pac 10 choice, but it seems that the administration does not really care (and rightfully so).

Never say will not expand.

In terms of Neilsen media markets, Las Vegas is #43, Boise is #118, and Salt Lake City/Provo is #35. That means a heck of a lot.

Currently, the Big Ten has Chicago (2), Detroit (11; not including Toledo), Minn/STP(15), Indianapolis (25), Columbus (32), Milwaukee (34). This is why think they want the #1 market; plus they are partly funded by Comcast. I really don't need to bring up the SEC since they still filter into metropolitan areas. Pac-10 is also in larger areas as well. San Diego State could also be a Pac 10 choice, but it seems that the administration does not really care (and rightfully so).

you're right I should've said not expand in the near future. I remember years back about Colorado & Texas joining the Pac-10 but that never materialized. I'm not so sure the Pac-10 school presidents want to add to their tight little fraternity especially if the northwest schools are in a seperate division from the California schools. They won't get to play each other round robin style like they do now.

Notre Dame and Mizzu do make the most sense.

Notre Dame would be stupid to leave their great TV deal and their great BCS deal. The only way the Big Ten gets Notre Dame is without football, and that's the whole point of adding a 12th.

I want this to happen so bad. I hate that every year the top team doesn't have to play the second best team, or the third. There is always someone missing out. This way there would be a Championship game.

That or make everyone only play one non-conference game and play everyone once.

Archived