Big Ten wants to adding a member

footballfiji

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Big Ten will never take a MAC school, Louisville, Marshall, or any school that isnt a member of the Association of American Universities. The main reason the Big Ten is thinking about expanding is because they want to charge cable companies in states that have a Big Ten school $1.10 per household to show the Big Ten Network, states without a Big Ten school are charged $.10.

1. Notre Dame - They have wanted them since the late 80's when they announced Penn State was joining but ND wants to stay Independent for football. But if they asked the Big Ten would add them in a heartbeat.

2. Syracuse - Put's them in New York state, has a strong tradition in both football and basketball, and they could bring in the largest amount of households for the BTN. Their main drawback is that they are a small private school in upstate New York and there may not be that big of an outcry if the BTN isnt picked up in NYC.

3. Rutgers - Large state U in a heavily populated state, would put a kink in Notre Dame's plan to play yearly at the Meadowlands. Drawback's are up until last year they have been the laughing stock of college football, the BTN won't get $1.10 per household in NYC since it's in a differant state than Rutgers.

4. Missouri - Large State U, in the mid-west(still alot of east coast haters in Big Ten country), has wanted to join for years, brings in a state where they are the only 1a power, and brings in two new tv markets. Drawback's the Big 12 has something like a $5 to $8 million exit fee, the Big Ten has passed them over in the past.

5. Pitt - Prime recruiting area, most Big Ten type school not in the Big Ten, would bring in alot of research dollars(Big Ten schools share that money), bridges the gap between Penn State and the rest of the conference, building new track, soccer, baseball and softball facilities, a long football history to go along with a great baskeball program that graduates players. As long as Joe Paterno is alive he will block them from joining(still bitter at them for Pitt "killing" his half assed Eastern Conference in 1982), does not bring a new state into the Big Ten Network, urban campus, Pitt v Penn State could take a little bit of luster off of Ohio State v Michigan.

Other longshots, Maryland(will never leave the ACC due to basketball rivalries), Virginia(the state would block it for the same reasons they forced them to take VTech into the ACC), Nebraska(die hard fans but small state population).

If Pitt, Syracuse or Rutgers would go to the Big Ten it would pretty much kill the Big East as a football conference, same goes with West Virginia or Louisville going to the SEC if the Big Ten takes Missouri and the Big 12 responds by taking Arkansas.

This isn't exactly news. The Big Ten has wanted a 12th school since it added an 11th, and it's wanted Notre Dame for a long time.

As for the TV markets, the Big Ten doesn't REALLY have Milwaukee, it has Madison, since that's where the university is located. While the Badgers get huge support out of Milwaukee, that's not their home market.

It's where I sit.

I think Memphis should be in a stronger Conference than C*USA so here 2 scenarios I would do.

1) Memphis join the Big Ten....C*USA easily finds a replacement

2) Big Ten get Iowa State....Memphis joins the Big XII....C*USA easily finds a replacement

I would love to see Memphis go to the Big East and Nortre Dame or Pittsburgh go to the Big Ten, but ND basketball is not gonna leave the Big East as long as their football program is independent and PITT I just dont see leaving.

Everyone is television market share for the confernce but no one has said anything about the school and recruiting. Mizzou and ISU leaving the Big XII may lose out on recruiting in the one state with the deepest football talent. Texas (no slight to Florida or California wich is just as deep)

The Big Ten will never take a MAC school, Louisville, Marshall, or any school that isnt a member of the Association of American Universities. The main reason the Big Ten is thinking about expanding is because they want to charge cable companies in states that have a Big Ten school $1.10 per household to show the Big Ten Network, states without a Big Ten school are charged $.10.

1. Notre Dame - They have wanted them since the late 80's when they announced Penn State was joining but ND wants to stay Independent for football. But if they asked the Big Ten would add them in a heartbeat.

2. Syracuse - Put's them in New York state, has a strong tradition in both football and basketball, and they could bring in the largest amount of households for the BTN. Their main drawback is that they are a small private school in upstate New York and there may not be that big of an outcry if the BTN isnt picked up in NYC.

3. Rutgers - Large state U in a heavily populated state, would put a kink in Notre Dame's plan to play yearly at the Meadowlands. Drawback's are up until last year they have been the laughing stock of college football, the BTN won't get $1.10 per household in NYC since it's in a differant state than Rutgers.

4. Missouri - Large State U, in the mid-west(still alot of east coast haters in Big Ten country), has wanted to join for years, brings in a state where they are the only 1a power, and brings in two new tv markets. Drawback's the Big 12 has something like a $5 to $8 million exit fee, the Big Ten has passed them over in the past.

5. Pitt - Prime recruiting area, most Big Ten type school not in the Big Ten, would bring in alot of research dollars(Big Ten schools share that money), bridges the gap between Penn State and the rest of the conference, building new track, soccer, baseball and softball facilities, a long football history to go along with a great baskeball program that graduates players. As long as Joe Paterno is alive he will block them from joining(still bitter at them for Pitt "killing" his half assed Eastern Conference in 1982), does not bring a new state into the Big Ten Network, urban campus, Pitt v Penn State could take a little bit of luster off of Ohio State v Michigan.

Other longshots, Maryland(will never leave the ACC due to basketball rivalries), Virginia(the state would block it for the same reasons they forced them to take VTech into the ACC), Nebraska(die hard fans but small state population).

If Pitt, Syracuse or Rutgers would go to the Big Ten it would pretty much kill the Big East as a football conference, same goes with West Virginia or Louisville going to the SEC if the Big Ten takes Missouri and the Big 12 responds by taking Arkansas.

I doubt this. If anything, the Big XII would look to take TCU. The SEC would never let Arkansas leave.

If, and I say its a big if, Arkansas was to leave, then the SEC would try to add Georgia Tech.

I would add Notre Dame in a heartbeat.

But you forget that the Big10 snubbed ND way back when they weren't quite the draw they are now. Then the Big10 came to ND hat in hand after the Penn State add and ND athletics told them to get lost, despite the approval of the faculty. No way ND will join now or ever, they had their chance and they used it to remind the Big10 that they were excluded because they were Catholic and to remind them they could have had ND's money a long time ago but turned it down. They're nonfootball, nonlacrosse, and nonhockey sports are doing fine in the Big East.

Iowa State won't add the demographics the network is looking for and as a Big8/Big12 cornerstone, they're happy where they are, as well.

States represented & schools:

Illinois (2)

Indiana (2)

Iowa (1)

Ohio (1)

Michigan (2)

Minnesota (1)

Pennsylvania (1)

Wisconsin (1)

If they add a school, it will be in a state that its already in that has significant population like Ohio(Miami, Cinci), Michigan(Tech, Northern, Central), Pennsylvania(Pitt), or from one that borders their current territory like Missouri(Mizzou, SLU), ND(NDSU), SD(SDSU), Kentucky(UK, Louisville), or NY(Syracuse, but doubtful). There won't be any Texas or Kansas or Arkansas, etc.

Any discussion of which school the Big Ten wants starts and ends with Notre Dame. It's a no-brainer (for the Big Ten). It's perfect geographically, and no other school would bring in the ratings, buzz and intrigue that ND would. But, as has been stated, ND doesn't need the Big Ten, the Big Ten needs ND. Beyond ND, you have to look at the other, "secondary" schools in Big Ten states. Out of those, only Pitt, Northern Illinois and Iowa State really stand out. Despite recent success, Northern Illinois doesn't have a high enough profile to warrant inclusion on a "wish list." So, that's Iowa State and Pitt. But, a primary goal of any expansion would be to bring in a new state. So, then, you include other schools in the geographic vicinity that would make sense for the school and conference. Mizzou stands out, but apparently hasn't been contacted by the Big Ten. Around the first time of the expansion, Nebraska was sought after, and that would certainly be interesting, but for some reason, I can't see it. Rutgers and Syracuse have been mentioned, and they would seem to make sense and be a good fit, and I'd bet Penn St. would be pushing in that direction. West Virginia would make sense geographically, too, so would Louisville, and their profiles might not be the big splash you'd hope for with expansion, but really, I don't see the Big Ten making that big splash with what seems to be available. I can't see any other schools that would be a logical fit. You can forget anybody in the SEC. Nobody's leaving the SEC. And the Big Ten isn't taking anybody from the MAC. So, if I were to handicap it (and I'm in no way qualified to do so), I'd place the odds this way:

Iowa State 3-1

Pitt 6-1

Rutgers 8-1

Syracuse 8-1

Nebraska 25-1

Mizzou 25-1 (appear to be out, but if nothing else happens, they could be a contingency plan.)

Louisville 35-1

West Virginia 35-1

Northern Illinois 50-1

Miama of Ohio 100-1

Notre Dame 250-1

Odds on it falling through all together: 5-1

Odds on it being somebody not listed: 10-1

So, there you have it. My guess is Iowa State, in a solid, if unspectacular expansion, even if they don't bring in any "new states."

The Big Ten will only take a school that is a member of the Association of American Universities, and they must be in or connected to other Big Ten member states, that means schools like Memphis, Louisville, Marshall, Miami(OH), West Virginia, are not even in the running.

The only schools they can take unless they change their own rules(which will never happen are the following).

SUNY - Buffalo(no chance in hell), Iowa State(not going to happen), Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Pitt, Rutgers, or Syracuse.

The Big Ten will only take a school that is a member of the Association of American Universities, and they must be in or connected to other Big Ten member states, that means schools like Memphis, Louisville, Marshall, Miami(OH), West Virginia, are not even in the running.

The only schools they can take unless they change their own rules(which will never happen are the following).

SUNY - Buffalo(no chance in hell), Iowa State(not going to happen), Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Pitt, Rutgers, or Syracuse.

Actually, the more I've read on the subject, the more it appears that the Big Ten will first and foremost be looking to expand into a new state if at all possible. Notre Dame would be an exception, because of their huge nationwide fan support. But, that looks like that moves Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse up. I'd still mark Nebraska a long shot. And, the lure of breaking into the New York market has to be very appealing....

Notre Dame first choice, if not then pitt or iowa state or Ohio/nothern Illnois, if that happenes then:

Iowa St.: big 12 goes and gets colorado St. or TCU and cause of that the Pac 10 gets eather BYU/Utah or UNLV and Nevada and remaning members of mt. west and WAC merge

Pitt: big east goes and raids the CAA for mass(they join for all sports too) and villinova and maybe g-town too.

Ohio/Northen Illnois: MAC goes and gets Southern Illnois and eather Illnios St. or Indiana St.

Pitt: big east goes and raids the CAA for mass(they join for all sports too) and villinova and maybe g-town too.

Nova and G-Town are already BE members in all sports but football, and to elevate their football programs from D-IAA to D-IA would involve a major upgrade on playing venues and scholarship levels for the football team.

Big East:" hey have some $$$ to upgrade your football teams to join our conf, then u get more $$$ evey year."

nova and g-town: "umm kay"

i know they are but mass is not, and it be a great coupe for the big east cause then uconn would have a local rival again, maybe they go after RI too???

Villanova, Georgetown, and UMass have no plans of going Div. 1a for football even if they could get into a BCS Conference right away, and Georgetown would pretty much be like Vandy or Rice on the football field(small school, not going to dumb down academic standards for tons of football players).

Hell would freeze over before the PAC-10 adds BYU or Utah, no way they get the votes from UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Washington and USC, also Cal, Stanford. UCLA and USC do not want any other California school in the conference . If the PAC-10 ever expanded they would most likely take Hawaii, UNLV or Nevada but they would have to get into the BCS or get screwed out of the BCS to get some attention and do major upgrades to their facilities.

Notre Dame would be the most perfect fit for obvious reasons. Also, for obvious reasons, they won't go Big Ten.

Next best would be Iowa State. Iowa State is strong in men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling, but weak in football. I think if Iowa State were invited into the Big Ten, they would jump on that opportunity. But would they be invited?

Somebody mentioned Nebraska. Hmmmm. Nebraska would be really tempting. And I may be wrong, but I'm not so sure the Huskers are all that happy in the Big XII. They also might enjoy being a power in a Big Ten West in football. And I think the Big Ten would love to have Nebraska.

Another possibility would be Louisville. The Big Ten would absolutely love to have Louisville's men's basketball program, and would probably be even more interested in the Cardinals with their rising football program.

Archived