Big Ten wants to adding a member

footballfiji

I would add Notre Dame in a heartbeat.

But Notre Dame wouldn't want to. They make out much better as an independent than they ever would in a conference.

Ah, but the question was "So who would you add?", and that's who I would add. It's not up to Notre Dame in this case. :D

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
History question: why did the conference expand with Penn State in the first place?

Was it simply a grab at their success in order to boost the Big Ten's profile?

Or had they planned all along to grab another school and build a standard 12-team, 2-division conference?

Since this is a logos/image board, I think the easiest and most logical solution to the problem, like others have said, would be to subtract a school.

That way it resumes being a true Big 10 Conference and can be seperated into divisions for a title game like they want.

People in the Midwest have long joked that either Illinois or Indiana should be kicked off the island for their embarassing play,

but I could see Penn State just as much leaving due to it's geographic location.

I can't say I've ever heard that joke. The recent poor play has been only for football. Its one sport. Plus Illinois was in a BCS game 6 years ago and has a rich history dating back to the beginning of football. If you'd dump someone for historically poor play it'd be Northwestern, but you don't do that.

Don't forget, the Big Ten is a Basketball conference as well. Illinois and Indiana are the two winningest programs in the Big Ten for basketball.

I know you weren't serious about dumping them, but I think everyone is looking at this with football googles that only can look back 5 years. Every Big Ten team has a good history for football somewhere along the line. Even Northwestern. You don't make a major commentment like adding a program to a conference without a proven track record, and you shouldn't do it based on one sport. Although the arguement could be made that they did that with Penn State in '93 and they tried it with Notre Dame in '99 both of which are historically football schools.

I heard this progression of dominoes on Fox Sports Radio over the weekend and, on some level, it makes some real sense.

* Big Ten adds Missouri. They expand west, get the St. Louis market (which is, according to the host, more interested in the B10 than the B12) and the school already has an established rivalry with Illinois.

and that leaves an opening in the Big 12 for:

* Arkansas. The feeling is that the Hawgs aren't totally happy with their SEC experience and would just as well go back to how it was in the SWC against them Texas schools.

and that leaves an opening in the SEC for:

* Louisville. (Sorry, can't remember the host's reasoning on this one ... but playing UK twice in hoops and in football and having everything count in conference play is a start)

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I heard this progression of dominoes on Fox Sports Radio over the weekend and, on some level, it makes some real sense.

* Big Ten adds Missouri. They expand west, get the St. Louis market (which is, according to the host, more interested in the B10 than the B12) and the school already has an established rivalry with Illinois.

* Arkansas. The feeling is that the Hawgs aren't totally happy with their SEC experience and would just as well go back to how it was in the SWC against them Texas schools.

* Louisville. (Sorry, can't remember the host's reasoning on this one ... but playing UK twice in hoops and in football and having everything count in conference play is a start)

Missouri: Fair enough...

Arkansas: I'm not sure the Big XII is quite interested in adding an athletic department that is at best in disarray and at worst about to have the NCAA infractocrats descend upon it like the 101st Airborne. On that note...not sure if the Texas schools want to revisit the bad old days of the SWC.

Louisville: From what I understand of the "politics" in this rivalry, the powers that be in Lexington would try their level best to torpedo this move.

-------------------------------------------------------

ltp74: The Big Ten's insistence on trying to get to twelve is indicative to me about how much they care about "tradition". Probably could grease the skids for membership in the AAU if they had too...and there is precedent that it's not pressing issue for membership: Michigan State joined in 1950 (athletics in 1953) and only became an AAU member in 1964 and Purdue only became a member in 1958.

Again...MAC is not the most desirable, but if you want a team NOW! NOW! NOW!, with a minimum of fuss, that's the way to go.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about Navy? It expands presence to the Maryland/DC area, it gives them a traditional football school, and would fit the academics they are probably looking for. Plus they are an independent and thus no mess in adding them. Sure they would probably never compete for the Big 10 title but the Big 10 isn't necessarily looking for that. They have been at least a bowl team the last couple of years. A problem may be the the Army-Navy game is played on the conference championship week however since the BIG 10 regular season ends 2 weeks earlier the championship could go that following week and the Army-Navy game the week after staying in it's traditional spot.

or i see either Southern Miss,Memphis or Tulane taking Arkansas spot,because if you add Louisville you'll force someone from the SEC east to go to the west,+ w/ USM they will get it on w/ Ole Miss and Miss State annually (or in TU case LSU,UM/UT).

You know, they could add both Notre Dame and Pittsburgh, and play a true round robin.

The Big Eleven would never go for that.

The conference loves having their small-school opponents because it gives them more home games and more money to rake in. Conversely, the small schools love scheduling road games at these big schools because they're getting paid 6-figures in unshared money to come get their butts kicked for 60 minutes.

It's a trade-off they've been doing for years.

You know, they could add both Notre Dame and Pittsburgh, and play a true round robin.

It would never happen but I'm sure the academic side of the conference would love to add Maryland, Pitt and Rutgers, since they would add huge amounts of money on the research side of things.

I like the top two moves, but Louisville has been at-odds with the good ol' boys in the SEC for decades. I remember haring about how Louisville had a chance to join the SEC in the 60's, but they wanted to recruit Black players, so the offer was yanked off the table. Tulane left the SEC for the same reason.

Besides, Louisville has a long history of playing northern teams (again, something that's rooted in the school's decision to integrate) and their Big East membership helps facilitate that. If that scenario was to happen, Memphis would be a much better fit for the SEC. Their football program might not be on par just yet, but they have a hoops program that could easily plug the hole left by Arkansas'.

Only problem is that Arkansas' presence throws the Big XII out of allignment and shifts the balance of power even more towards the south.

Northwestern won't leave the Big Ten as they are an original member and considered the Harvard or Stanford of the Midwest. Not to mention the Big Ten would lose Chicago as a market.

The Big Ten wouldn't lose the Chicago market as long as they still had Illinois.

Speaking of which, I don't see why Northwestern, Vandy, Rice and a few more of these academics-first schools don't just form their own conference like the UAA in Division 3.

I don't know how much the Big Ten has Chicago in general now. Yes the head office is there, but college Sports in general aren't discussed much unless a team is in a national tournament. I think they talk about UIC and DuPaul much more than Northwestern or Illinois is talked about in Chicago. The only time I heard about Northwestern in the Media much was when the women's team was in the Lacrosse championships.

Even with all the Northwestern alumni that work in the Chicago media? And I would imagine that interest in Illini athletics in Chicago would at least be comparable to the Badgers in Milwaukee, the Buckeyes in Cleveland and the Wolverines in Detroit. You have to think that a good chunk of Illini alums move to the Chicago area after graduation.

Northwestern won't leave the Big Ten as they are an original member and considered the Harvard or Stanford of the Midwest. Not to mention the Big Ten would lose Chicago as a market.

The Big Ten wouldn't lose the Chicago market as long as they still had Illinois.

Speaking of which, I don't see why Northwestern, Vandy, Rice and a few more of these academics-first schools don't just form their own conference like the UAA in Division 3.

I don't know how much the Big Ten has Chicago in general now. Yes the head office is there, but college Sports in general aren't discussed much unless a team is in a national tournament. I think they talk about UIC and DuPaul much more than Northwestern or Illinois is talked about in Chicago. The only time I heard about Northwestern in the Media much was when the women's team was in the Lacrosse championships.

Even with all the Northwestern alumni that work in the Chicago media? And I would imagine that interest in Illini athletics in Chicago would at least be comparable to the Badgers in Milwaukee, the Buckeyes in Cleveland and the Wolverines in Detroit. You have to think that a good chunk of Illini alums move to the Chicago area after graduation.

I know its kinda weird. Chicago is just much more of a Pro Town than a College Town.

I got a better idea don't add another team kickout Penn St. and then it actually be the BIG TEN. Dish Network better get the Big Ten Network or I will be pissed. They don't have the MLB, the NFL, or NCAA Mega March Madness they don't have jacks*** quit being cheap and grow a pair and get these packages and channels.

moss_moon.gif

Hmmm... This has me thinking.

I would think Iowa State would be the one that goes, and here's how it would all go:

-Iowa State heads to the Big Ten, which keeps it's name (Didn't stop the Atlantic 10 from not changing it's name when it has 14 teams, who's to say the Big Ten can't be called the Big Ten even with 12 schools). The divisional format is this:

Western Division

-Illinois

-Iowa

-Iowa State

-Minnesota

-Northwestern

-Wisconsin

Eastern Division

-Indiana

-Michigan

-Michigan State

-Ohio State

-Penn State

-Purdue

-The Big 12 takes Colorado State from the Mountain West to replace Iowa State in their North Division. Feeling comfortable with the eight schools they have, the MWC stays put (if they really wanted a ninth member that badly, they could snatch Northern Arizona from the Big Sky, but that's left field kind of talk).

Hmmm... This has me thinking.

I would think Iowa State would be the one that goes, and here's how it would all go:

-Iowa State heads to the Big Ten, which keeps it's name (Didn't stop the Atlantic 10 from not changing it's name when it has 14 teams, who's to say the Big Ten can't be called the Big Ten even with 12 schools). The divisional format is this:

Western Division

-Illinois

-Iowa

-Iowa State

-Minnesota

-Northwestern

-Wisconsin

Eastern Division

-Indiana

-Michigan

-Michigan State

-Ohio State

-Penn State

-Purdue

-The Big 12 takes Colorado State from the Mountain West to replace Iowa State in their North Division. Feeling comfortable with the eight schools they have, the MWC stays put (if they really wanted a ninth member that badly, they could snatch Northern Arizona from the Big Sky, but that's left field kind of talk).

But that would leave Ohio State and Michigan in the same division, making it impossible for them to meet in the Conference Championship. If they do get a twelfth member, it will be North/South Divisions.

The Big 10 has said they are going after a big fish so you can throw alot of those teams out like Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. Their targets are interesting ones. We all know abour ND but they are also going after Texas. I don't see it happening but who knows?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10276524/rss

The Big 10 has said they are going after a big fish so you can throw alot of those teams out like Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. Their targets are interesting ones. We all know abour ND but they are also going after Texas. I don't see it happening but who knows?

Going after Texas would be stupid. They'd never go along with it, and you'd just needlessly provoke the Big XII. If Delany were to seriously propose this, I would recommend that the Big Ten has no further need of his services.

Chicago does send a lot of people to Chambana, but I'm not sure if it still tugs at their heartstrings after they leave. (Probably associate it with being another part of Forgottonia, and class it as an experience that shouldn't be remembered.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Texas fans can't get pumped for Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas what makes this Dodd guy think they will get hyped for Northwestern, Indiana and Michigan State.

Going after Texas would be stupid. They'd never go along with it, and you'd just needlessly provoke the Big XII. If Delany were to seriously propose this, I would recommend that the Big Ten has no further need of his services.

Chicago does send a lot of people to Chambana, but I'm not sure if it still tugs at their heartstrings after they leave. (Probably associate it with being another part of Forgottonia, and class it as an experience that shouldn't be remembered.)

I'm not sure where you're getting this assertion. I guess I'll just chalk it up to the Downstate Complex. I went to Illinois. Not surprisingly, I know a lot of people that went to U of I that live in Chicago, and know that most of them remember their time in Champaign fondly. Sure, it smells like horse :censored: more often than you'd like. And a subpar Cityworks means that if it snows, the streets will be slushy for four or five days. But, nothing brings back the fond memories like having a few beers after work on a random Wednesday and remembering that if you were still in college, you'd be drinking Dollar High Lifes at Brother's, eating some ten cent buffalo wings, and it would be completely normal to be drunk on a weekday. If there's not much of an Illinois following in Chicago (and there's a decent sized one), it's because of what someone said earlier: Chicago's a pro town. But, I remember the atmosphere in Chicago during the '05 basketball run, and it was pretty electric.

Archived