vikings return to old helmets?

smith03

Anyone in MSP noticed that helmet the team was sporting yesterday at training camp was the old helmet with a gray mask? I am for the old helmet and the 70s uniforms even if it means going back to a gray mask (which I don't think is necessary). However my guess would be they will use last year's uniform (modern) with an old style helmet and mask which would be silly.

http://www.startribune.com/10001/gallery/6...tectflash=false

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone in MSP noticed that helmet the team was sporting yesterday at training camp was the old helmet with a gray mask? I am for the old helmet and the 70s uniforms even if it means going back to a gray mask (which I don't think is necessary). However my guess would be they will use last year's uniform (modern) with an old style helmet and mask which would be silly.

The pants too...

Probably just leftovers...no?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The pants too...

Probably just leftovers...no?

I believe that pants are just left over from a few years back.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

First guess: Throwback night because you'll see the Cowboys wear the white helmets in practice to break them in.

2nd guess: Want to be like the AZ Cards. Have an ultra-modern uni with the "kewlness" of a helmet that is 50 years out of date because retro is "hawt"

I don't care how much success you had in the "glory" years or whatever. Once I see a gray mask when gray isn't in your color scheme, I give the uniform an automatic F. Times (since about the early 70s) have given us the technology to match the whole uniform, so do it...especially when you're a team like the Browns/Colts that have upgraded, but recently downgraded. I cannot stress this point enough and everytime I have the opportunity to say it, I do. I will step down from my soap box now.

KISSwall09.jpg

I've never liked the vikings helmet with the purple facemask, there is too much purple going on. I liked their helmets better with the white facemasks but I think yellow facemasks would look awesome.

PvO6ZWJ.png

First guess: Throwback night because you'll see the Cowboys wear the white helmets in practice to break them in.

2nd guess: Want to be like the AZ Cards. Have an ultra-modern uni with the "kewlness" of a helmet that is 50 years out of date because retro is "hawt"

I don't care how much success you had in the "glory" years or whatever. Once I see a gray mask when gray isn't in your color scheme, I give the uniform an automatic F. Times (since about the early 70s) have given us the technology to match the whole uniform, so do it...especially when you're a team like the Browns/Colts that have upgraded, but recently downgraded. I cannot stress this point enough and everytime I have the opportunity to say it, I do. I will step down from my soap box now.

I actually couldnt disagree more. The colts,browns look is much improved. Actually I wish the colts stayed with the striped socks to stay old school. As far as the vikings go the gray may not mesh well with the metallic purple but if they go back to the deep purple(which i doubt) and stick that gray facemask on i will be a happy camper. I also dont see what other color the cardinals would go with. The gray is is a subtle looks much better than a red or black mask would.

BP.jpg

I will NEVER understand the appeal of Gray facemasks. Never. Absolutely no good reason for it...even for the Giants, who have (IMO) forced the Gray back into their uniforms - even with completely different shades of Blue and Red than previously used.

Well, maybe they (the Vikings) should go back to the uniforms they wore in the 70s, during their glory days. If the Jets can do it, why can't Minnesota? Besides, the Vikings' uniforms have gotten crappier since the mid-90's.

I actually couldnt disagree more. The colts,browns look is much improved. Actually I wish the colts stayed with the striped socks to stay old school. As far as the vikings go the gray may not mesh well with the metallic purple but if they go back to the deep purple(which i doubt) and stick that gray facemask on i will be a happy camper. I also dont see what other color the cardinals would go with. The gray is is a subtle looks much better than a red or black mask would.

If you want to see how much more pop the Cards helmets could have, please look at Louisville's. It's a brighter red, but it matches the jersey or the pant and the cardinal head. I just am not getting the "retro" fad. The Colts, Browns, and Cards are doing it...helmet only. The Colts dropped the retro socks, the Cards have the newer style piping, and the Browns use the newer style of having a wordmark under the collar. I'm not dissing you, I'm just stating where I'm coming from on the gray mask situation. Would you want the Colts to use a red mask if the first masks were made of old stop signs or something? ;)

KISSwall09.jpg

I agree with this 100%. Why dont these teams that want to pretend technology has not advanced go back to leather helmets with no facemasks, now that's retro!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Here's a shot of the helmet:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1329751.html

The Vikes will be wearing "throwbacks" - which seems funny only a year after a uni change...

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1329769.html

Etc.

? Former Vikings running back Chuck Foreman will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor during halftime of the Sept. 30 game against Green Bay at the Metrodome. Foreman was a five-time Pro Bowl selection during his seven-year Vikings career (1973-79). The induction will cap the team's alumni reunion weekend. As part of the celebration, the Vikings will wear throwback uniforms.

Chris

2nd guess: Want to be like the AZ Cards. Have an ultra-modern uni with the "kewlness" of a helmet that is 50 years out of date because retro is "hawt."

I agree with this 100%. Why dont these teams that want to pretend technology has not advanced go back to leather helmets with no facemasks, now that's retro!!!

[sarcasm]So, the two of you will not be happy until every team is wearing one of these? I mean, we have the technology to put "ghost flames" on helmets, so that means we have to.[/sarcasm]

helmet2.jpg

Here's a shot of the helmet:

The Vikes will be wearing "throwbacks" - which seems funny only a year after a uni change...

? Former Vikings running back Chuck Foreman will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor during halftime of the Sept. 30 game against Green Bay at the Metrodome. Foreman was a five-time Pro Bowl selection during his seven-year Vikings career (1973-79). The induction will cap the team's alumni reunion weekend. As part of the celebration, the Vikings will wear throwback uniforms.

Not funny at all. Foreman wore the uni below, which are different from the ones they just changed from.

v32.jpg

And these would be even better:

cfauto.gif

And their best ever was before Foreman's time I believe:

minvikings3rd.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Ugh. We go through this EVERY year! The Vikings only wear those helmets in training camp. Believe me, they'll go back to the non-pirate numbers once the season starts.

Oh, wait...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Also worth noting is that the purple shell appears to be NON-metallic.

What that means is they aren't simply of their most recent design prior to the change but rather a more accurate version that fits their throwbacks.

Of course I do wonder if the purples will match. The whole reason they switched to the metallic shells was that the non-metallic ones always appeared dark, slightly reddish purple, while the purple uniforms always appeared light, blueish purple (this was at least the case on TV).

I'm not sure if they appeared different colors back when the throwback design was originally worn. Oh, but looking at that old picture, it appears that they indeed did appear different. So now we'll see if that remains the case. Oh, and again, looking at that picture in practice, it appears that indeed they might be accurately different for the game.

You make valid points , but I find it ironic you are blasting the 70's and retro but have KISS at the bottom of your posts...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Archived