vikings return to old helmets?

smith03

Ugh. We go through this EVERY year! The Vikings only wear those helmets in training camp. Believe me, they'll go back to the non-pirate numbers once the season starts.

Oh, wait...

last year during training camp they wore the helmets they used in the 2006 season (i.e the new helmets). They have not worn grays masks in training camp for the past 20 plus seasons.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will NEVER understand the appeal of Gray facemasks. Never.
I'm on the other side. I'll never understand the obsession of having every last piece of apparel and equipment matching the color scheme.

confused.gif

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I dont know why i respond the same way every time on gray masks. we'll never convince each other, but i love them. gray is neutral. does anyone have a problem with staff on the sidelines wearing gray sweatshirts or t-shirts? and another thing. with technology the way it is today, all rock bands can wear matching facepaint to fit their character (cat, spaceman, demon, starlett, and to a lesser degree a wizard or a fox), they shouldnt be any reason they dont use it

I saw a clip from Vikings camp on the evening news that showed a bunch of players wearing purple facemasks.

It's training camp. You can't tell what a team is going to wear by what it wears in training camp.

Here's a shot of the helmet:

The Vikes will be wearing "throwbacks" - which seems funny only a year after a uni change...

? Former Vikings running back Chuck Foreman will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor during halftime of the Sept. 30 game against Green Bay at the Metrodome. Foreman was a five-time Pro Bowl selection during his seven-year Vikings career (1973-79). The induction will cap the team's alumni reunion weekend. As part of the celebration, the Vikings will wear throwback uniforms.

Not funny at all. Foreman wore the uni below, which are different from the ones they just changed from.

v32.jpg

And these would be even better:

cfauto.gif

And their best ever was before Foreman's time I believe:

minvikings3rd.jpg

Agreed

metslogo_215.gif

ESPNews is using the old horn graphic....

Interesting...

Like the link says earlier in the post, these are a one off helmet used in a sept.30 game to honor chuck foreman. teams going throwback rotate helmets in training camp to break them in. lets just hope fans go ape poop over them and they change back when they go into a new stadium.

The Vikes will be wearing "throwbacks" - which seems funny only a year after a uni change...

It's not near as funny as those "modernized" clown suits they wear now. Now those are hilarious.

Can't wait for Sept. 30. The old Vikings uniforms are among the best ever.

BB52Big.jpg

ESPNews is using the old horn graphic....

Interesting...

Like the link says earlier in the post, these are a one off helmet used in a sept.30 game to honor chuck foreman. teams going throwback rotate helmets in training camp to break them in. lets just hope fans go ape poop over them and they change back when they go into a new stadium.

That's fine, but ESPN is using the old horn graphic...

...last i checked, a graphic used by a television station and a protective helmet used by NFL players are two very different things...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

OK... two things... people need to stop posting that templet graphic with the purple pants and saying "the Vikings need to go back to these." Those pants never existed. The 60's purple-pants stripe went White/Gold/White, not Gold/White/Gold.

Second... I just wonder if the people who insist that a team shouldn't wear gray facemasks unless they have gray in their color scheme feel the same way about black shoes? should only teams who have black as a color be allowed to wear black shoes? Seems the same to me.

OK... two things... people need to stop posting that templet graphic with the purple pants and saying "the Vikings need to go back to these." Those pants never existed. The 60's purple-pants stripe went White/Gold/White, not Gold/White/Gold.

Dear God sir, don't tell me I made such a grievous error! I bow deeply and humbly beg your forgiveness for not knowing the proper color sequence of the stripe on a pair of pants worn 40-some-odd years ago for a few seasons by a team I am only vaguely aware of. :rolleyes:

OK, I'm over it. :D

Couldn't find a proper pic of the Vikes in that uni, all there seems to be is Jim Marshall running the wrong way and the color is so poor it's tough to even tell what they're wearing. So that template view was all I could find. Have you contacted the person who made it to advise him of the error?

And P.S., however the stripe went, they really should go back to those! B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Dear God sir, don't tell me I made such a grievous error! I bow deeply and humbly beg your forgiveness for not knowing the proper color sequence of the stripe on a pair of pants worn 40-some-odd years ago for a few seasons by a team I am only vaguely aware of. :rolleyes:

OK, I'm over it. :D

Couldn't find a proper pic of the Vikes in that uni, all there seems to be is Jim Marshall running the wrong way and the color is so poor it's tough to even tell what they're wearing. So that template view was all I could find. Have you contacted the person who made it to advise him of the error?

And P.S., however the stripe went, they really should go back to those! B)

Here (looks pretty much gold-white-gold to me):

1963Yearbook.jpg

It's where I sit.

I'm going to join the camp of "Gray Facemasks Are Dumb."

Why?

Teams wore gray facemasks in the past not because they looked good, but because they couldn't wear anything else. I'm like this: If it is NOW POSSIBLE for you to improve your look by deleting gray (which isn't even in the Cardinals, Colts, or Browns color scheme), then do so. Don't be backwards just because you can, because it's stupid, IMO.

(Just to note, gray facemasks, teams wearing the same colored shirts in a game, & mismatching shades of color [a.k.a. the Cowboys "home" uniforms] are my top uniform pet peeves.)

I'm going to join the camp of "Gray Facemasks Are Dumb."

Why?

Teams wore gray facemasks in the past not because they looked good, but because they couldn't wear anything else. I'm like this: If it is NOW POSSIBLE for you to improve your look by deleting gray (which isn't even in the Cardinals, Colts, or Browns color scheme), then do so. Don't be backwards just because you can, because it's stupid, IMO.

(Just to note, gray facemasks, teams wearing the same colored shirts in a game, & mismatching shades of color [a.k.a. the Cowboys "home" uniforms] are my top uniform pet peeves.)

Well said and I agree whole heartedly!!!

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Hmmmm... Ok, sure does. but i've also got quite a few photos of the stripe in the other configuration.

A mystery, Scooby.

Can anybody even more obsesive than most of us clear this up?

The proper response would have been: "I apologize for being so pompous in my earlier post, as I was obviously mistaken about the color combination of the pant stripes that I so expertly spoke about."

Archived