wisconsin?

longhorn#65

Gothamite, you magnificent son of a b***h. Congrats on getting that one-game wonder, even if it is just a replica. I'd love to get one of those.

And PackerBadger, the Wisconsin jerseys were definitely inspired by the Cowboys' double-star alternates, especially since Apex One did both teams - along with the Iowa Banana Peels, the Minnesota M&Ms, and countless crazy college basketball shorts - man, those guys took dye sublimation technology and just ran with it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is cool, isn't it? I'm pretty chuffed about it. :D

PackerBadger, you raise some interesting points. I'd like to address them individually, if you don't mind.

As a one-time thing it was OK. The problem with that look is that it screams the '90s, and it would look very outdated today.

I don't think it looks very 1990s. I think it looks more 1960s, since it is obviously influenced by the Cowboys' throwback uniforms.

Also, it should be noted that the official colors of my alma mater are cardinal and white. Note that the word "black" is not in there.

True, and usually I would have a major problem with this, but black has been part of the University's athletic identity since the 1940s, if not before. Bucky Badger has always been cardinal, white... and black. The Motion W helmet logo, which very few Wisconsin fans dislike, incorporates black. So UW could easily have put a touch of black on the jerseys. Our alma mater gets a pass. ;)

If you look at UW uniforms over the years (samples can be seen HERE), they've always been quite traditional. (Early unis looked exactly like the Chicago/St. Louis Cardinals.) I don't think jersey stripes were used until the Dave McClain days (back in the days when jerseys actually had sleeves). The wildest look other than this was the late '80s when they moved the sleeve numbers to the shoulders, replaced by the "W Bucky," and had outlined numbers.

True enough, but the helmet logo is very modern. From the sweep to the uneven curves to the black drop-shadow, it is quintessentially contemporary. It doesn't match the rest of the uniform in either style or color scheme. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the Motion W - it clashes with the entirety of Wisconsin football history.

If they hadn't already adopted some modern elements with the logo, I would agree with you completely.

The 1995 jersey was at once modern and a throwback (with the many comparisons to 1960s Cowboys and 1955 49ers, both of which had been featured the year before). Just like the current 49ers, a mix of old and new. It would have tied in with the helmet, and for all those reasons I could have supported it wholeheartedly.

sheesh...I should stick to making concepts, I'm just whiffing today :D I coulda sworn they were white, but the ol photo don't lie...them W's do appear red to me. heh, next time somebody asks about a past jersey and I post anything, just ignore me :rolleyes:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the Motion W - it clashes with the entirety of Wisconsin football history.

I believe that was the idea, given that the entirety of Wisconsin football history before Barry arrived was one bowl win, in a bowl not named the Rose Bowl.

I don't think it looks very 1990s. I think it looks more 1960s, since it is obviously influenced by the Cowboys' throwback uniforms.

Not really the throwbacks; more the third unis of '94. (Actually, fourth unis, since they wore the throwback before they wore the alt that year. I believe it was unveiled at Thanksgiving.)

... black has been part of the University's athletic identity since the 1940s, if not before. Bucky Badger has always been cardinal, white... and black. The Motion W helmet logo, which very few Wisconsin fans dislike, incorporates black. So UW could easily have put a touch of black on the jerseys. Our alma mater gets a pass.

Points taken. As long as they don't go nuts, I'm fine with that.

You certainly do have a one-and-only. I'm not saying I disliked it at the time; I just think it's a quickly-dated look (not to mention a screaming departure from what they had), and if they had adopted them then, people would have been itching for a change reasonably soon afterward. And let's be honest -- those things were goners as soon as the final score came up.

Packers-2.png

By the way, NCAA 08 will eventually receive online updates for the uniforms...or so I have heard. Developers don't feel the need to rush all the features and possibilities out to consumers because of the ease to reach customers now...everyone is connected. I can't wait for the day until we can upload our own designs into the game to create our own teams...but obviously that won't happen soon since they TOOK AWAY CREATE-A-TEAM!

BTW, NCAA 08 for the regular xbox still has the 4 options for Wisc. unis, using red and white jerseys and pants, plus create a uniform.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the Motion W - it clashes with the entirety of Wisconsin football history.

I believe that was the idea, given that the entirety of Wisconsin football history before Barry arrived was one bowl win, in a bowl not named the Rose Bowl.

Oh, I get that - I just don't think you can complain that the 1995 jersey is out of step with Wisconsin football history and not level the same charge at the Motion W.

For the record, it's why I hate the Motion W. Well, one of the reasons why I hate the Motion W - I also think it's just badly designed on its own. But that's for another thread.

Oh, I get that - I just don't think you can complain that the 1995 jersey is out of step with Wisconsin football history and not level the same charge at the Motion W.

For the record, it's why I hate the Motion W. Well, one of the reasons why I hate the Motion W - I also think it's just badly designed on its own. But that's for another thread.

We can both agree that the 1995 jersey and the motion W are out of step with Wisconsin football history. I'm not in love with our alma mater's football uniforms; I was just arguing that they've been pretty consistently traditional over the years. (Not necessarily well designed, either.) And since the motion W now represents yearly bowl games and yearly NCAA tournament trips, it's staying, like it or not.

Packers-2.png

Archived