Aacceptable in one sport, but not in another.

gmat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The UCLA Striping:Looks Great on football jerseys.But horrible on Baseball Jerseys.

Not necessarily. Get a baseball jersey, sleeveless style, and put shoulder piping in the same pattern. Even w/o sleeveless...

Ooh, concept idea.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

The UCLA Striping:Looks Great on football jerseys.But horrible on Baseball Jerseys.

Not necessarily. Get a baseball jersey, sleeveless style, and put shoulder piping in the same pattern. Even w/o sleeveless...

Ooh, concept idea.

Thanks for clarifying that for me,what i meant to say was a non-sleeveless baseball jersey.

There are some college teams that do now. Rice does it with, as do some other teams. I think Rice's white jerseys are far better than these.

l5h803x3.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Imagine any other sport than baseball where the visiting team wears gray. Doesn't work.

You're right about that:

admiralsva7.jpg

While some may not be convinced by this picture, I assure you that in person, it's an absolute disgrace...

Anyone else noticed the old Milwaukee Brewers logo on that hockey jersey? I'd be interested to know the story behind it!

The story's pretty simple - the Brewers are a primary sponsor of the Milwaukee Admirals. The Brewers also sponsor Admiral fan giveaways and have ads on the boards. All of which use the retro logo.

The owner of the Brewers, asst GM and pitcher Ben Sheets are all part of an ownership group that has a minority share in the minor league hockey club.

And I love their gray jerseys....

Why is this? Is it because we are used to seeing it this way?

It's basically the same thing as the way that most of us will spend our lives believing that the music that we liked when we were 13 is the greatest music ever. We form most of our basic aesthetic opinions at an age when all people have terrible taste. None of us would allow a 13-year-old child to choose our clothes, yet we are all guilty of letting the 13-year-old we once were dictate our taste in sports uniforms. Witness the nostalgia for the crappy old ultra-generic Brewers uniforms, or quite possibly my own nostalgia for the maroon-era Phillies unis.

Great point but you're off the mark a little on the age thing. According to research we used in radio, it's actually between the ages of 12 and 25 that a lot of our preferences are set. So it's not really like letting a 13 year old dictate our tastes but it's still like letting a bunch of youngsters without much life experience dictate our tastes. That's better, but it's not a lot better. :D

It's precisely why today's "modern" uniforms that are derided by old guys like me will be the very "classics" that the young guys who sing the praises of "updates" and "modernizations" today will be longing for in 20 years.

BB52Big.jpg

I guess I can state some of the obvious...

Facemasks would look terrible on batting helmets

tank tops wouldn't work in any sport but basketball

ice skates don't work on baseball, football, basketball or soccer

caps of any kind would not work in basketball.

I think that's pretty obvious stuff but I thought I'd toss some humor into the thread. Not that it's been lacking...but I'm bored at work so I guess I think there's some justification in it.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I guess I can state some of the obvious...

Facemasks would look terrible on batting helmets

tank tops wouldn't work in any sport but basketball

ice skates don't work on baseball, football, basketball or soccer

caps of any kind would not work in basketball.

I think that's pretty obvious stuff but I thought I'd toss some humor into the thread. Not that it's been lacking...but I'm bored at work so I guess I think there's some justification in it.

Facemasks do look terrible on batting helmets. I think that it's a rule that all fastpitch softball helmets need to have facemasks.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The C on Variteks jersey looks stupid. The C should only be in hockey imo and it looks really bad in basketball and baseball.

yet looks just fine on football jerseys.

On a baseball uni it looks much better on the sleeve. I think I've seen that done before but don't have the pic.

The C on Variteks jersey looks stupid. The C should only be in hockey imo and it looks really bad in basketball and baseball.

On a baseball uni it looks much better on the sleeve. I think I've seen that done before but don't have the pic.

Sammy Sosa wore the C on his sleeve.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Sammy Sosa wore the C on his sleeve.

I don't know why, but I chuckled while reading that.....thinking that Sammy Sosa actually wore a captain's 'C' on his jersey.

But it did work nicely on the sleeve IMO.

The story's pretty simple - the Brewers are a primary sponsor of the Milwaukee Admirals.

Which, of course, explains the special Bob Uecker jersey which made the team look like a bunch of skating Triscuits.

The few times the C has made it to a pro jersey, it always looks really strange to me. Don't much care for it in those circumstances.

From what I remember, the Cubs (Sosa), Cincinnati Reds (Barry Larkin), Dallas Cowboys (Drew Pearson), and Seattle Sonics (Gary Payton). Don't have photo evidence. Other teams have designated "captains," but have left the "C" off.

Also, captains in soccer always have to wear an armband.

I think UniWatch did something on this a while back.

Archived