Miss Budweiser Question

Coacher42

I was a huge Unlimited Hydro fan as a kid and I have started a project somewhat like "The Helmet Project". Maybe not a website like that, but who knows. As there are a lot of folks from the PacNW on here, I thought maybe someone could help me out.

I was wondering if anyone had closeup pics of the National Championship logos on the Miss Budweiser boats of the late 80's/early 90's

MissBudweiserwhatarethese.jpg

If anyone can help, let me know. Like I said, I think they are National Championship logos or Gold Cup Championship logos. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has closeup pics of the 2 logos under the Anhueser Busch logo on the tail.

I was a huge Unlimited Hydro fan as a kid and I have started a project somewhat like "The Helmet Project". Maybe not a website like that, but who knows. As there are a lot of folks from the PacNW on here, I thought maybe someone could help me out.

I was wondering if anyone had closeup pics of the National Championship logos on the Miss Budweiser boats of the late 80's/early 90's

MissBudweiserwhatarethese.jpg

If anyone can help, let me know. Like I said, I think they are National Championship logos or Gold Cup Championship logos. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has closeup pics of the 2 logos under the Anhueser Busch logo on the tail.

They are National Championship decals. I'll have to see if I have any closeup photos of those.

Ykiki5, if you can dig those up, that'd be great! Thanks!

I took a bunch of photos of the 1980 Miss Budweiser, which was restored by the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum a few years ago. Now, for some reason, I can't find them! :(

There has GOT to be someone on here from Seattle, Detroit, San Diego, or Madison who knows what the hell I'm talking about here (with the exception of Ykiki5, who gets it).

I know that most of you thought this was going to be about bikini clad women competing for the title... I'm sorry to disappoint (JQK in particular). I feel your pain. I also apologize to the land lubbers who haven't ever seen one of these unlimiteds (especially the old piston powered true thunderboats). Didn't mean to confuse everyone.

I have looked and looked for pictures elsewhere and am coming up short. I know this is a REAL shot in the dark, but being a huge Chip Hanauer fan I've got to throw it out there. Pics of the 1977 Barney Armstrong's Machine (in color) would be great too.

Thanks for understanding. I truly didn't mean to confuse everyone.

HUGE Hydros fan, but since I'm from Valleyfield PQ, Unlimiteds wouldn't fit the course.

I'm a huge GP and S/CS fan...

Recently, while browsing the Valleyfield Regattas site, I found a few very interesting FANS SITES...

The owner of the GP444 is my mom's old boss

Try to GOOGLE (images) "Jim Kropfeld": I found a few nicer images than the ones you posted...

THAT'S IT, pack the family, we're goign HOME for my birthday in 2008: "Valleyfield, nous voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LAST UPDATE:

Got your answer HERE ... WICKED SITE, with search capability!!! ...

...or here or here... you get the drill...

Frenchie, you da man! Thanks for your help! I certainly do appreciate it.

And just to make up for the misunderstanding:

56budweiser.jpg

You're welcome. Enjoy.

No sweat!

Having grown up in the World of Hydroplane (2 regattas every year, plus a few road trips (Picton, Syracuse)), worked at the 50th anniversary of the local event) I am craving Hydros... I was a huge Lauterbach fan: Deep Water Special was my favourite.

And to keep with your request, you went with the 80s crew...

:shocked:

I have to admit, I am very unfamiliar with the Limited classes. Growing up in Bremerton, WA near Seattle, the Limiteds definitely played second fiddle to the big boats. We did have some outbaord races in Silverdale, but that was just a mere warm-up for Seafair the next weekend. Shoot, I would usually try to catch a radio broadcast of the Water Follies race in Tri-Cities instead of going to the outboards.

I did meet Bill Muncey when I was 6, tight before his accident in Mexico that killed him. That meeting solidified my wonder with the Thunder (that actually came out sounding like a promotional slogan for APBA). My fascination with Chip Hanauer began when he took over for the legend.

Here's a little taste of what I'm trying to do (keep in mind I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator... Just Paint):

MillerHighLifeBoat2.jpg

MissBudweiserBoat2.jpg

The hulls are raw graphically, I know. They won't change much. I am more focused on the cowls, wings, and paint.

I have to admit, I am very unfamiliar with the Limited classes. Growing up in Bremerton, WA near Seattle, the Limiteds definitely played second fiddle to the big boats. We did have some outbaord races in Silverdale, but that was just a mere warm-up for Seafair the next weekend. Shoot, I would usually try to catch a radio broadcast of the Water Follies race in Tri-Cities instead of going to the outboards.

I did meet Bill Muncey when I was 6, tight before his accident in Mexico that killed him. That meeting solidified my wonder with the Thunder (that actually came out sounding like a promotional slogan for APBA). My fascination with Chip Hanauer began when he took over for the legend.

Here's a little taste of what I'm trying to do (keep in mind I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator... Just Paint):

MillerHighLifeBoat2.jpg

MissBudweiserBoat2.jpg

The hulls are raw graphically, I know. They won't change much. I am more focused on the cowls, wings, and paint.

Very nice!

BTW, my son and I went down to Lake Washington to watch hydroplane qualifying today. The Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum had a display in the park and it included the 1968-72 vintage Miss Budweiser. It's your lucky day - I had my camera with me. I made a point of taking close-ups of the National Championship decals as well as the Anheuser Busch "A-Eagle" logo.

Ykiki5, thanks man! I do appreciate it! I look forward to seeing those! How were the races (besides the obvious lack of huge rivalries like back in the day ie: Atlas v Bud, Miller v. Bud, Circus v. Bud, etc...)?

How were the races (besides the obvious lack of huge rivalries like back in the day ie: Atlas v Bud, Miller v. Bud, Circus v. Bud, etc...)?

The racing was excellent! Probably the highest boat count in years (14 Unlimiteds), a collision, a flip (no injuries), competitive heats with upset winners, and a photo finish in Heat 2B where 1st and 2nd were separated by a foot. While there isn't a "huge" rivalry like (insert boat name here) vs. Bud like there was 20-30 years ago, there is a similar one brewing between Dave Villwock of the Elam Plus versus the rest of the fleet. Until Seafair, Dave V. had run the table this year even though the field is probably as competitive as it's ever been. It's just that the Elam is barely enough ahead of everyone else. You've got 5 other boats that really can win any heat given the right circumstances. It's definitely NOT like it was the past 10 years where the Bud would lap the competition if not for arbitrary limits placed specifically on them.

You'd be happy to know that the Elam was finally beaten yesterday by the perenial underdog, Oh Boy! Oberto, who has a brand new hull this season. It was an extremely popular win and I don't think there was a dry eye in the pits yesterday when it returned from the race course. Nice to see that team get their first ever Seafair Trophy - especially considering that Art Oberto turns 80 this month and the Oberto Sausage Company has been sponsoring boats (usually backmarkers) for the past 30 years.

Archived