UFC

Jeremy12

It's not a fad. It's been around for almost 20 years and has its roots in a form of wrestling (catch as catch can) that's been around since the 19th century.

UFC hit a boom period in the mid-90s, but Congress put an end to all of that. Then UFC and other MMA organizations got smart, set up strict rules of combat, and the sport (and it is a sport) is currently in another boom period. I think the Liddel/Ortiz fight out-performed every other comparable event this year (WrestleMania 23, the Oscar De La Hoya fight).

It's too hard to tell if UFC is the evolution of boxing, or just simply a fad that has exploded over the past couple of years. Most people will say that boxing is dying, and they're probably true. The sports really needs some accomplished Americans and some very good feuds to bring it back, but I can't see that happening. To be honest, I don't even know who the heavyweight champion(s) is/are right now -- I think it's Vitaly Klitchsko, but as a one-time fan of boxing, I'm embarrassed I can't even answer the question.

UFC isn't for me. I think it's a little bit too brutal and oftentimes far too boring. Watching guys try to choke each other out is only fun for so long. But yet, I'm a big fan of professional wrestling. I guess I'm drawn to the theatrics, storylines, absurdity and history of pro wrestling. I'm definitely turned off by the grittiness of UFC.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I watched a bit of the original UFC. It was quite interesting just because it involved a sumo wrestler. :D

I'm glad the UFC has cleaned up it's act from the original because some serious stuff was going on. I believe one guy had his eye popped out of his socket a few years back :blink:

MMA doesn't do much for me, but I do see the appeal of it.

I saw, I came, I left.

Personally, I don't think it is a fad, but I am so over it. I was at UFC 59 @ the still then Arrowhead Pond. and have bought the last 4 PPV. I am a mark for certain fighters, but no longer just for the sport. I think the the UCF may/will face a backlash fro the following reasons:

1-Match length: ESPN and other outlets hyped Liddell/Jackson like nothing else. The hype carried Chuck into the "Who's Now" bit well after he lost while Rafeal nadal did not sniff the list. Well that Liddell/Jackson fight as done in under 2 minutes. Wile Americans love unabashed action, the quick stoppages wil hurt them, as it does with horse racing. A fight which lasts 10 minutes gains the public's attention, not 7, 80-second fights. People tough thtat after Silvia/Orlosvky's 40-second fight that they were ripped off.

2-UFC President Dana White: I have little isue with his dress, but I have a large problem with his mouth. Leave the profanity at home please. One cannot "elevate the sport" if you curse like an Ukranian sailor.

Archived