2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

What I don't understand is why everybody hated the flames horsehead.

Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.png

It definately would make a hideous primary but it looks great as a shoulder patch. For that reason, I just don't get it.

It looks atrocious--because it's bald--it has no mane!

A flaming mane would've been overkill.

Anyways, yeah i didn't know about the contest thing, that's for providing that lil bit of info.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Regards to which Canuck logo is better is a difficult argument. If the fans like the "Rink/Stick" logo, I understand that. No one is going to change their mind. Nor should anyone HAVE TO change their mind. Sure, the Orca logo may be a better over-all logo by design standards... but not for the Vancouver Canucks. It REEKS of Corporate Influences. Possibly, if it were the original owners and they came up with a fresh beginning, the Orca may be more acceptable. If it were an expansion team called the BC Orcas... the logo would be really cool. It's not what the fans want though, to them the Canucks are the Rink/Stick.

Say in the NFL: If someone designs a far superior logo for the Packers helmet. Great, it's a nice logo... BUT the Packers are the "G". As plain as it seems to some, it's the Packers identity. Another example is the Browns' "Bulldog logo". It's not the "Browns" to me. Now if the the Browns name stayed in Baltimore.... that logo for the Cleveland Bulldogs would be really cool.

It'a an argument where the locals feel one way and the outsiders feel another. It seems that the happy/medium will be that one jersey will have rink/stick, the other will have the Orca.

This is no more than people distorting an image to a degree where lots of people will bite because they can't immediately determine how fake it is.

Kinda like religion? :)

/*takes thread way off topic!

...he says, displaying his complete and utter lack of knowledge on the subject...

:) = joke... and you're right, I have very little knowledge on the subject

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I grew up with the skate logo so when i think canucks, i think of Pavel Bure, Kirk McLean and Alexander Mogilny in the skate logo uniforms. My biggest memory of them was rooting for the canucks during the 94 season because i so badly wanted the rangers to lose in the finals. course i'm an isles fan so natural i tend to enjoy ranger failure wank. but if we want to talk about the canucks and the success in what uniforms. Remember its the skate logo whether it was primary as in 94 or secondary in the 82 season, they went to the cup 2 times in those colors and logo, in some fashion. In the stick and rink logo, they had no cup appearances and i'd be curious on how many postseason appearances they had in that logo. In the orca, they a string of losing seasons and recent string of first or second round eliminations. i understand the argument that the orca is more visually appealing than stick and rink or skate, well so is fisherman as it visually represents 'islanders and the area' but fans sent fisherman overboard within 2 years and demanded the old LI logo back in really the manner canucks fans are demanding stick and rink back even though orca maybe more visually and regionally appealing. There are some logos no matter how visually appealing they simply won't accept it, and i can understand that because people associate certain logos and colors with a particular team. Burning river made a great point in his analogy to the browns and packers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

In Regards to which Canuck logo is better is a difficult argument. If the fans like the "Rink/Stick" logo, I understand that. No one is going to change their mind. Nor should anyone HAVE TO change their mind. Sure, the Orca logo may be a better over-all logo by design standards... but not for the Vancouver Canucks. It REEKS of Corporate Influences. Possibly, if it were the original owners and they came up with a fresh beginning, the Orca may be more acceptable. If it were an expansion team called the BC Orcas... the logo would be really cool. It's not what the fans want though, to them the Canucks are the Rink/Stick.

Say in the NFL: If someone designs a far superior logo for the Packers helmet. Great, it's a nice logo... BUT the Packers are the "G". As plain as it seems to some, it's the Packers identity.

Agreed.

I'm a Packer fan, and I'd love to get rid of the G. But we can't. It just has too much history now.

I tend to give a team's fans the lion's share of weight when considering uniforms. Myself, I think the modern Philadelphia Eagles set is a clear downgrade from their past schemes, but the fans love it, so I can't say too much about it.

It definately would make a hideous primary but it looks great as a shoulder patch. For that reason, I just don't get it.

I think it's already got overkill. Either flaming nostrils or a flame between its eyes - having both is not necessary....

VCX, I understand what the fans like.

All I'm saying is that the fans like things for the wrong reasons.

The Stick and Rink logo is liked because it's retro and the original.

The Skate is liked because it's old/retro and they went to a Cup Final in it.

The Orca is hated because it was corporate-esque when it came out and it's not old.

But the Orca represents the region and name as well as anything outside of Johnny Canuck, and it's a well designed graphic.

I won't go so far as to say the Canucks have a tradition of losing, but they certainly haven't done enough winning in either of the old logos to makeup for poor, bland designs.

So I get what Vancouver wants. And if the fans want it, by all means, give it to them. But once they get it, I'll keep ragging on the look and the fans for choosing a worse look.

For what it's worth, I love the Skate logo and it's last jerseys, and I'm by no means big on the Orca.

But there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Orca is 12x the logo that either the Skate or Rink is.

newunimm6zs9.gif

I like the look of this much better. At least the wordmark isn't some huge peice of lettering running right across the chest.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I grew up with the skate logo so when i think canucks, i think of Pavel Bure, Kirk McLean and Alexander Mogilny in the skate logo uniforms. My biggest memory of them was rooting for the canucks during the 94 season because i so badly wanted the rangers to lose in the finals. course i'm an isles fan so natural i tend to enjoy ranger failure wank. but if we want to talk about the canucks and the success in what uniforms. Remember its the skate logo whether it was primary as in 94 or secondary in the 82 season, they went to the cup 2 times in those colors and logo, in some fashion. In the stick and rink logo, they had no cup appearances and i'd be curious on how many postseason appearances they had in that logo. In the orca, they a string of losing seasons and recent string of first or second round eliminations. i understand the argument that the orca is more visually appealing than stick and rink or skate, well so is fisherman as it visually represents 'islanders and the area' but fans sent fisherman overboard within 2 years and demanded the old LI logo back in really the manner canucks fans are demanding stick and rink back even though orca maybe more visually and regionally appealing. There are some logos no matter how visually appealing they simply won't accept it, and i can understand that because people associate certain logos and colors with a particular team. Burning river made a great point in his analogy to the browns and packers.

I grew up with the Canucks in the Skate logo with Germany's colors. I hated that color scheme and logo and so relieved when they ditched it.

In regards to history vs ugly logos, I had a discussion with a friend of mine and I was surprised to find out that he knows a bunch of people who want to ditch...the habs CH for something more appealing. But im not one of them just so y'all know. And I'm speaking about people in their mid 20s, they are not 13.

I grew up with the Canucks in the Skate logo with Germany's colors. I hated that color scheme and logo and so relieved when they ditched it.

In regards to history vs ugly logos, I had a discussion with a friend of mine and I was surprised to find out that he knows a bunch of people who want to ditch...the habs CH for something more appealing. But im not one of them just so y'all know. And I'm speaking about people in their mid 20s, they are not 13.

What??

I'm no Hab fan, and even I think people that want to change anything about that classic uniform should be burned at the stake.

What??

I'm no Hab fan, and even I think people that want to change anything about that classic uniform should be burned at the stake.

Wholeheartedly agree with that. If they want to tweak it a bit maybe but nothing drastic. The logo they have now is a nice modernization of the older CH logos they've had since they formed.

Changing anything (especially now) would be viewed as a MASSIVE cash grab and a riot just may break out in downtown Montreal.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

The Orca is hated because ... it's not old.

I don't know how you could possibly support that statement.

If the Orca was the original Canucks logo and the Stink in Rink was new, people would despise the Rink as some crummy design and the Orca would be loved.

If you want like actual support...well no, admittedly that's impossible to achieve. But that's my take on the situation.

newunimm6zs9.gif

I like the look of this much better. At least the wordmark isn't some huge peice of lettering running right across the chest.

This actually reminds me of the Flames leak. A lot.

Yeah, it's the same thing only the stripes are thinner and there's a wordmark. I wonder if Colorado keeps their mountain pattern with all these teams going with straight sleeves.

I think it's already got overkill. Either flaming nostrils or a flame between its eyes - having both is not necessary....

Y'know its actually a pretty good idea to have a horse head logo considering the whole Calgary Stampede or Rodeo or what have you. The problem is that the horse is rendered in such an awkward way that it looks really really bad. If they took a page from the old Pistons logo with the flaming horse and render it from the side with flames as the mane we'd probably be talking very favorably about the logo. As it stands it just looks like a really really bad comp that shouldn't have made it off of the drawing board....at best.

Archived