2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

VAN_3i0n0zoiukpfef3wpik7.gif

I love this logo, I think it's classic like some of the original six and I would have been happy to see that on these sweaters. The stick-in-rink would have looked good too. I'm really not impressed with the wordmark. It's like those cheap kids sweaters you can buy at places like Wal-Mart that most laugh at. It just doesn't need to be there at all... and it takes up valuable space.

On the topic of fan art, copyrights, etc. I think the best I've seen for Vancouver, if they were to go for a modernization, was that aviator Johnny Canuck someone put on here. Those were pretty sleek. To stay retro though, gotta love the logo above.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Vancouver came into the league, the Eastern Conference didn't exist.

No, but the East Division did.

East Division

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Detroit Red Wings

West Division

Chicago Black Hawks

St. Louis Blues

Philadelphia Flyers

Minnesota North Stars

Los Angeles Kings

Pittsburgh Penguins

California Golden Seals

Apparently the NHL just couldn't afford maps back then...

East Division

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Detroit Red Wings

West Division

Chicago Black Hawks

St. Louis Blues

Philadelphia Flyers

Minnesota North Stars

Los Angeles Kings

Pittsburgh Penguins

California Golden Seals

Maybe they were busy helping South Africa such as

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

East Division

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Detroit Red Wings

West Division

Chicago Black Hawks

St. Louis Blues

Philadelphia Flyers

Minnesota North Stars

Los Angeles Kings

Pittsburgh Penguins

California Golden Seals

Im assuming that they went with that alignment so they had all three Canadian teams at the time in the same division

Even today tho, I never understood why Detroit Red Wings are in the West.

Even tho Detroit is in the mid-West.

Probably because 90% of the teams are either in the east or the mid west. The east/west barrier isn't right down in the middle.

My opinions on these is that they are great. Obviously I'm not from Vancouver, nor am I from Ottawa, Florida, or New York, how do you know? Because I don't think these are crap and the worst jerseys so far. Did you people forget Nashville? And really the crap that is the Senators, Islanders, and the okay Caps, Lightning, and Panthers jerseys. The Canuck uniforms too busy? Look at Florida, Nashville and the Islanders if you want busy. I mean heck, take a look at that unnecessary white stripe on the red jerseys of Carolina. No, the Orca logo is not the greatest logo out there, but this love affair by Vancouver fans baffles me. As a graphic designer, I don't see it. I don't see what there is to love about it. Nothing about it says Vancouver or Canucks, it's just and oval with a stick. Maybe that's the ingenious part of it, I don't know. I see the ingenuity in the Brewers ball in glove logo and even the Expos "mlb" logo, but I just don't see design wise what the love affair with the stick-rink logo. They've done the right thing with it and placed it where it should be, on the shoulder. It's at best a secondary logo that should be used sparingly. Probably what they should've done is keep the vancouver and put the players number underneath it and ditch the orca logo. This coming from a Kings fan who hates they dropped the stripes and kept the "Los Angeles". Is that in case the players get a concussion on the road and they can find their way home?

For those wondering where the " C " and " A " will be located.

naslund_63183.jpg

I think the Canucks should have been a little more adventurous and created a unique way of noting the captain or an assistant. I think the C or the A in the Vancouver wordmark should be a different color for the captain and assistants. Detroit is returning the captaincy insignia to the right shoulder, so I think this could have been another unique twist.

1271020335_30d6378ba3_o.jpg

1271104015_7acd1ca6d9_o.jpg

They had the Campbell conference and whales i believe at that time, whatever the reason was, they were put into the conference/division that was predominately eastern...so they had a messed up travel schedule and during that era, flights weren't exactly the cheapest way to travel.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

For those wondering where the " C " and " A " will be located.

naslund_63183.jpg

I think the Canucks should have been a little more adventurous and created a unique way of noting the captain or an assistant. I thing the C or the A in the Vancouver wordmark should be a different color for the captain and assistants. Detroit is returning the captaincy insignia to the right shoulder, so I think this could have been another unique twist.

1271020335_30d6378ba3_o.jpg

1271104015_7acd1ca6d9_o.jpg

Damn that new logo looks awfully familiar...where have i seen this before?

/end sarcasm.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Im assuming that they went with that alignment so they had all three Canadian teams at the time in the same division

Actually, they setup the league after the 1967 expansion with all six new teams in their own division to guarantee that one of the new teams would get to the finals (that's why St. Louis lost in the finals 3 straight years from 1968-1970). When they added Buffalo and Vancouver in 1970 they had to put them in the east to keep the balance with the size of the divisions.

But yeah I think the notions of keeping all the Canadian teams together and promoting a Toronto-Buffalo rivalry were key considerations. The Chicago move to the West was to restore the balance at 7 teams each and promote a Chicago-St. Louis rivalry. In the end, the move also pretty much guaranteed Chicago a spot in the finals since they were in such a weak division. And, in fact, they did lose the finals in 1971. But they really should have dropped the East/West labels (never even adopted them in the first place really) as they made no sense.

sweater04_082907_big.jpg

Just noticed something else. NO REEBOK TAG AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT!

That's probably because they're showing the authentic jerseys there, not the replica / Premier jerseys.

p3536512dt.jpg

nope, they will be

That's because that is a picture of a replica the ones in the locker room are authentics which won't have the tag. If you notice the Vancouver font on the replica is different front what is seen in the picture of Luongo.

become_offseason.jpg

With the update of the rink logo, what I'm about to say won't apply anymore - and there's a good chance it'll make me sound retarded, anyway. But I remember a few months back there was a thread about how some people stared at a logo for years and never quite "got it" (i.e., missing the H in the Hartford logo) or saw things no one else did in a logo.

Well, I forgot to mention this at the time, and I don't remember that anyone else brought it up. But whenever I looked at this logo:

primary-1971.gif

Even though I know it's a rink and a C.. i always saw a whale. A smiling, contented - though apparently blind - whale, who'd just finished devouring a hugely satisfying meal. Anyone?

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Archived