BBM

2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

Vancouver really dropped the ball here:

- Navy whale, royal jersey...who actually thought it looked right?

- No green in the whale whatsoever...I really think a new logo might've been a better move.

- "Vancouver" UGH...again, in navy

If they fixed these...I'd put them near the top of the new jerseys, but right now, they're just awful.

With the update of the rink logo, what I'm about to say won't apply anymore - and there's a good chance it'll make me sound retarded, anyway. But I remember a few months back there was a thread about how some people stared at a logo for years and never quite "got it" (i.e., missing the H in the Hartford logo) or saw things no one else did in a logo.

Well, I forgot to mention this at the time, and I don't remember that anyone else brought it up. But whenever I looked at this logo:

primary-1971.gif

Even though I know it's a rink and a C.. i always saw a whale. A smiling, contented - though apparently blind - whale, who'd just finished devouring a hugely satisfying meal. Anyone?

And in this logo, I see a big red "O", meaning owned by Calgary...

EDM_83.gif

With the update of the rink logo, what I'm about to say won't apply anymore - and there's a good chance it'll make me sound retarded, anyway. But I remember a few months back there was a thread about how some people stared at a logo for years and never quite "got it" (i.e., missing the H in the Hartford logo) or saw things no one else did in a logo.

Well, I forgot to mention this at the time, and I don't remember that anyone else brought it up. But whenever I looked at this logo:

primary-1971.gif

Even though I know it's a rink and a C.. i always saw a whale. A smiling, contented - though apparently blind - whale, who'd just finished devouring a hugely satisfying meal. Anyone?

Now that you mention it...yea!

Let's not go down the partisan path again, please?

Why on earth did they feel that a modernization of an iconic logo was in order?

Or a faux modernization of a generic logo, even.

I've mentioned in the past that with their long history of unsatisfactory logos, maybe the Canucks should just give up and go with a wordmark on the front (like the Capitals) or even diagonal text (like the Rangers). That would have looked better on these retro-designed jerseys than the orca and arched text.

That said, by now some of you are probably wondering which one of these I like enough to put on my new v3.1 Canucks sig. The answer is actually "none of the above", but I have to put something on there, so, as I did with my previous Canucks sig (with the old stick-and-rink), I'll once again go with the "least worst" of the bunch, which this time would be "Vachonny Canuck":

nhlvancouverbh1.png

Let's not go down the partisan path again, please?

fish20pill20hook20tipping.jpg

5-1

Your grandfather called. He wants his tired, old, overused, predictable rebuttal back.

When Vancouver came into the league, the Eastern Conference didn't exist.

Apparently the NHL just couldn't afford maps back then...

Us US Americans don't know how to read maps...

If it weren't for the VANCOUVER and the use of Agency FB, these would be tremendous.

If they really wanted VANCOUVER on the front, they should have had the uniform number under it instead of a crest.

When Vancouver came into the league, the Eastern Conference didn't exist.

Apparently the NHL just couldn't afford maps back then...

Us US Americans don't know how to read maps...

Maybe they were thinking of "The Vancouver" instead of Vancouver such as the one to the east of the Buffalo.

No matter how many times I look at this uni, I still have nothing positive to say about it. First Tampa Bay, now Vancouver.....I'm kinda nervous about what teams like Dallas, St. Louis, and San Jose will do.

Q&A on Penguins official website is vaguely optimistic:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=336406

QUESTION: I just wanted to know if the Penguins are keeping the jersey and logo the same or are they going to make changes like some of the other teams who have already released their uniform designs?

-Matthew in Butler

BOB GROVE: The mail just continues to stream in about the Penguins' new Reebok Edge uniforms. Look for the Penguins to unveil the new uniforms prior to the start of camp. But to reiterate: no new logo. There are no major changes to the uniforms, no changes requested by the team. The slight modifications to the uniforms will be the same as those made to the uniforms of every team. While some other NHL teams (including Washington, San Jose and Ottawa) are making logo changes, the Penguins are not.

He seems to be confusing the idea that some people are interested in the jersey, not just the logo. Yes, we understand the logo isn't changing, but just what is considered a major change to the uniform? What's minor to you might be major to me! Stop testing my gangster, Bob Grove!

Q&A on Penguins official website is vaguely optimistic:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=336406

QUESTION: I just wanted to know if the Penguins are keeping the jersey and logo the same or are they going to make changes like some of the other teams who have already released their uniform designs?

-Matthew in Butler

BOB GROVE: The mail just continues to stream in about the Penguins' new Reebok Edge uniforms. Look for the Penguins to unveil the new uniforms prior to the start of camp. But to reiterate: no new logo. There are no major changes to the uniforms, no changes requested by the team. The slight modifications to the uniforms will be the same as those made to the uniforms of every team. While some other NHL teams (including Washington, San Jose and Ottawa) are making logo changes, the Penguins are not.

He seems to be confusing the idea that some people are interested in the jersey, not just the logo. Yes, we understand the logo isn't changing, but just what is considered a major change to the uniform? What's minor to you might be major to me! Stop testing my gangster, Bob Grove!

If the Jersey is following the Ottawa Template in the way that we saw them on the green-screen backgrounds in that one leak, that's what I'd consider a pretty major change. heh. Of course, this Bob Grove might consider anything that doesn't change the the current color scheme as "completely the same".

My take:

The jersey's are "OK." Better than the dark blue/red/reflective duct tape 98-2006/07 jersey. Not as good as the vintage alts, but decent.

I love the colours and the striping pattern. I don't even mind the word mark, or the recoloured whale. But having both the lettering and the Orca is a bit too busy. As I've said before, my preference would have been for a new whale logo, ditching the "breaking out of ice" part of it for a more circular complete whale.

I think the tweaks to the Stick-In-Rink logo are really incredibly minor, and as a shoulder patch, you'll barely be able to tell the difference when watching a game, either in person or in the stands.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. It also could have been much better.

So the Penguins may not necessarily be looking like this?

Penguins2007.gif

That said, I like the Canucks jerseys. The only things stopping it from being perfect are:

1. That wordmark. Though if they used CANUCKS at home, that would be better, though no wordmark at all would be best.

2. The one-color numbers. They could at least use a green outline.

The orca logo having no green AND using two shades of blue doesn't bother me at all. Particularly when you realize the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim had two primary logos for twelve seasons and neither had eggplant in it, in spite of it being the main jersey color and nobody complained.

(Also I find it very hard to believe that vcx left his girlfriend at the arena the moment he saw the Orca, because anyone who paid even the slightest attention to this thread knew the Orca was returning since the end of the season.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

So the Penguins may not necessarily be looking like this?

Penguins2007.gif

That said, I like the Canucks jerseys. The only things stopping it from being perfect are:

1. That wordmark. Though if they used CANUCKS at home, that would be better, though no wordmark at all would be best.

2. The one-color numbers. They could at least use a green outline.

The orca logo having no green AND using two shades of blue doesn't bother me at all. Particularly when you realize the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim had two primary logos for twelve seasons and neither had eggplant in it, in spite of it being the main jersey color and nobody complained.

(Also I find it very hard to believe that vcx left his girlfriend at the arena the moment he saw the Orca, because anyone who paid even the slightest attention to this thread knew the Orca was returning since the end of the season.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

All I see is checkers for some reason lol.