2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

So i was thinking, if the Penguins were to update their logo, what i'd like changed. Just because the topic and the rumour or the fact that it is going to happen (not sure yet) had me look up images of the Emperor Penguin, which is what the team feels their Penguin should be. Or was when we had the Robo-Rat with wings.

Emperor Penguin:

Emperor%20Penguins.JPG

Notice how the beak is also black (which i hope they change in the new logo) and the yellow mark by the neck...

That neck part was brought in with this logo:

150px-Pens.png

With our current logo...

Maybe update the gloves, the beak, the eyes and add in the emperor part and we might have something unique.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
on hfboards its at 89% for the s/r and 25% for the skate and 20% for the whale

Something's not right here...

Just going to lay out the facts, not for argument's sake as i am tired of repeating it myself...

What, the fact that fans of the team actually like a certain logo most people think sucks?

The poll actually changed..

89% for the Stick and Rink

41% for the Skate

35% for the Whale

4% don't care what is used.

No, it's the fact that the number of people that voted equals 169%.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Just going to lay out the facts, not for argument's sake as i am tired of repeating it myself...

What, the fact that fans of the team actually like a certain logo most people think sucks?

41% for the Skate

35% for the Whale

I don't think that matters, if you went to the site and looked at the amount of people voted and who voted for what..you get the picture.

Anyways, that topic for me lives and dies with what the fans have voted the rest i could care less what is said.

So would you like to move on and discuss the ideas i had for the Penguins logo? As for updates and such?

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

41% for the Skate

35% for the Whale

:D

Man Vcx,

Why the hell are you on such a rampage these days...No one cares that the fans like the stick more than the whale people are just saying what they think....

and that pic from sportsnet, that whale jersey on the left is fishy (not an intentional bad pun)

I have a feeling that is their new road uni.

Hi, how are you?

Then again, if the Canucks were smart, theyd use the stick and rink for money purposes. Didnt the stick and rink have a higher sale then the whale?

All the canucks vintage jerseys did. I'm not on a rampage, my initial point was that the jersey for the Canucks should be designed by what the fans liked, when the vintage thing was introduced the fans loved the old jersey, then because of that, they actually listened to us fans and brought the jersey back as a 3rd for a lot more games and in the playoffs as well. If they were going to listen to us and use the colours, why stop there was the point. That point was backed up with polls and images with the final % of such polls.

I'm done with the topic, finished, it's done for me finito, done like Lowe's comb-over.

I'm discussing the Pens new update on their logo (whenever it's unveiled)...care to join me in that discussion or no?

Anyways, some of the Emperor penguins have the gradient of the golden yellow fade down to their stomach...how would that gradient fly on the penguins logo? Leaving that outside diamond crest white & black and have the yellow in the Penguin only? One of these days i gotta walk over to my laptop and actually put my ideas into motion to better display it...

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Im sure the Leaf fans like the crest on the alt. jersey the best but I doubt theyll switch them.

Yeah i can't remember which logo was created by which guy, but if i were a Leafs fan (and unlike most Canucks fans, i really don't hate you Leafs guys i actually don't mind the leafs, hate the sens)...

I'd totally love the idea of this logo making it's return as the main logo (in white for home, blue for away):

Home:

leafs1.jpg

Away:

TOR_201.gif

I was never a fan of this logo:

MapleLeafsLogo.gif

It's plain and boring...

I thought the Marlies logo with LEAFS instead of MARLIES would be cool, if they can fit in Maple Leafs (don't need to, Leafs would suffice IMO) would be cool.

marlies.jpg

If i had to pick jerseys for the Leafs (if i were a diehard fan...)

MapleLeafsHeritageJerseyPlaque.jpg

I'd go with 1st row 2nd from the right and 2nd row 2nd from the right.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

VCX, I'm glad you're just trying to give facts and what not now, but here's what I want you and other Canucks fans to hear. (And I'm not saying this is fact--this is opinion, but you've given to ackowledgement that this opinion can reasonably exist.)

We all understand (the majority of) Canucks fans prefer the Stick-in-Rink logo.

We all understand that after that the Skate logo is prefered.

But the thing is those are not good designs, and the Orca logo IS a good logo. This is true on every merit except what fans want.

The Stick-in-Rink logo is drab and dull. It's the Ball-in-Glove all over again. Two plain representations of hockey elements that form a team letter. Well, neat.

The Skate logo is abstract and dull. It literally says Canucks, but it doesn't represent the team name. It's a skate, so it implies at least ice skating and I guess hockey. It's kinda cool looking, but it's not a very strong logo. It was better when I was 8 and before I saw the skate and just saw some sort of planet and assumed Canucks meant aliens or something.

But the Orca, it's cleanly designed and interesting. You have the C to obviously fit the nickname (though that by itself is no better than the other two logos), but you also have an Orca whale which is a prominent species in that region. It's drawn in a Northwestern Tribal style, which adds more nods to the region. And it's breaking through ice, that's regional and sport specific. The logo doesn't say Canucks the way a Maple Leaf would (but that's taken), but it does it's job pretty dang well and certainly fits the region. And again, it's very, very well designed aesthetically.

So there's that. That, being that the Orca logo is hands down the best design of the three.

But all the time fans overlook better designs because they have an affinity for a long used traditional design or a design that has a winning tradition with it.

But, uh...

The Canucks did next to nothing in the Stick-in-Rink logo, and they didn't even have it that long.

They had some small successes and a run to the Cup Finals in the Skate logo, and it lasted a little longer, but that's really niether a long nor winning tradition.

Certainly niether has enough length nor winning to let tradition logically override good design.

The Orca logo doesn't have any better tradition to it than the Skate (at this point, a little worse), but it's the better design and the team hasn't suggested it's going to look at a brand new option, so why not stick with the design that is the best?

All of that said, I fully understand that for some reason, completely illogical to me, the Canucks fans prefer the other logos to the Orca.

That's fine. They can like what they want, they can have what they want.

But I, and many others, find it to be poor and illogical taste to like the other logos over the Orca.

This isn't an attack on you at all, but it's the opinion many of us have been trying to express, and it just seems like you and some other fans won't even acknowledge it as a reasonable opinion.

Yah that Marlies logo is amazing.

Yeah i like it, although that 2nd maple leaf inside the logo doesn't need to be there. It looks like when McDonalds threw in the leaf just so people knew it was the Canadian McDonalds..you know? It's unnecessary. Otherwise the logo is solid, maybe add the maple leaf stem to it and the LEAFS instead of MARLIES and that'd be a great logo for the big club as well as the baby Leafs.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Only problem with your selections (while I own the blue one) is that they were worn during a time where our best players were alienated by owners and sent packing. Those are our "dark years", a time of losing and not much hope. Too much bad stigma attached to that look sadly...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Only problem with your selections (while I own the blue one) is that they were worn during a time where our best players were alienated by owners and sent packing. Those are our "dark years", a time of losing and not much hope. Too much bad stigma attached to that look sadly...

No offense, but your bad dark times covers almost 30+ years...time to let that go? I've let it go with the Canucks logo's and jerseys (in terms of memories with it), the whale might be a nice logo (design wise) but it's not well liked at all.

The jerseys i picked might be from a bad era, but that logo rocks, no matter how many people hate it i've heard plenty leafs fans that love it. I had a cousin send me a Leafs jersey from Toronto (as a joke cuz he thought i hated them) and gave me a Gilmour one, i love that jersey, has the white version of that old leafs logo on the shoulder with that white one they currently have (the 93-94 ones).

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Hey VCX, just wanna add that most of the whole last page (including like three of your posts--one of which where you said you were done with the discussion 'bout the 'Nucks) came up while I was typing my response.

I wasn't trying to egg the convo on longer than you wanted or anything.

Just wanted to clarify that.

But the Orca, it's cleanly designed and interesting. You have the C to obviously fit the nickname (though that by itself is no better than the other two logos), but you also have an Orca whale which is a prominent species in that region. It's drawn in a Northwestern Tribal style, which adds more nods to the region. And it's breaking through ice, that's regional and sport specific. The logo doesn't say Canucks the way a Maple Leaf would (but that's taken), but it does it's job pretty dang well and certainly fits the region. And again, it's very, very well designed aesthetically.

Well, the breaking through ice part is certainly sport specific, but regional? Not so much. Vancouver has a very temperate climate, and ice and snow is not something that is particularly strongly associated with Vancouver.

I personally don't have a big problem with the Orca logo, but I've never liked the "breaking out of the ice" part of it. I think obscuring the distinctive flukes on the tail of the Orca is a weak point of the design. I would personally like the dorsal fin to be larger as well.

I used to think the teeth were lame until I did some google searching for northwest coast killer whale art, and they are certainly in theme. Anyone interested can see for themselves on this google search.

There is actually a reason for the orca on the canucks logo. The General Motors Place is situated in a place called orca bay.......

The orca also looks like a totem. There is a lot of totems in the vancouver region.

the only problem is with the name: Canucks

The canucks never made any references to Johnny Canuck himself. Not in the logo, or with the mascot....only in the name.....

I think they should make a reference to johnny canuck on their next jersey (even if it's only on the shoulder patch)

If i have to see the whale still, i hope the habs fans get a tweak to their damn logo. SUFFER EVERYBODY!!!

So no more leaks?

Being from Texas I obviously do not understand the feelings that y'all have for the Canuck logos. I guess the only thing I can compare it to is if the Cowboys changed their logo. Everyone here would bury Jerry Jones underneath his new stadium. That being said, someone that has no idea who the Canucks are happened to be looking over my shoulder while I was looking at the previous thread. The alleged new Canuck leaked logo was up on my screen. He asked about it and I told him it was a possible logo for the Vancouver Canucks. He asked what a Canuck was to which I answered that he was basically Canada's version of Uncle Sam. I apologize if I told him wrong. So he says that he sees the killer whale forming a C so that made sense. Then he asked if those types of whales were popular in that part of the world and (because I read the threads) I told him that was a fact. He said that also made sense. So all of the big debate about the whale being a stupid logo is baseless. But again, this is the Canuck's identity being debated. Carry on smartly.

Just my two cents worth.

We call American's yanks, even though Americans that aren't yanks refer us to the war and how the yanks and etc won this or lost that, but it's just a reference and that's why when you ask a Canadian what do you see when you hear Yank, they say Uncle Sam. Same as when you as an American, when you ask them what a Canadian is, they say a Lumberjack or someone in an igloo or something ignorant like that to mock us, but i can accept the lumberjack.

It's why as a Vancouverite (born and raise) i can accept the Vancouver Giants logo (by far the best hockey logo by a BC team). If Vancouver wanted to represent Canuck with Johnny Canuck, no one can really argue the point. It's why when sports net had the poll up the stick/rink is always going to be the unanimous winner (on hfboards its at 89% for the s/r and 25% for the skate and 20% for the whale) but the Johnny Canuck jersey came up 2nd place (or i may have that switched) but either way, fans seem to have endeared themselves to those logo's (me included).

Now, this isn't an argument or a diss, it's just a discussion and the facts laid out. That's all.

BTW: Wouldn't they go after Hicks (the owner, not the term)? I love the Cowboys & Steelers not sure who owns the cowboys but i thought it was the same guy that owned the stars and cowboys...?

Not taken as an argument or a diss. :D

Tom Hicks owns the Stars and the Texas Rangers. Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. When he bought the team in the early 90's and fired Tom Landry you would've thought the Anti-Christ had come to town.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

I live in Vancouver, i was born in Vancouver, i'm not oblivious to our history...which isn't really that deep to begin with. What, at one point we had the tallest building in the british empire (structure still stands today, used in movies plenty of times because of the elaborate design in the lobby/elevator area). The killer whales? When i think Killer whales, i think of seattle or marine world/land, sea world. We might have a few sightings of Killer whales here and there up further north, but aside from that, not much.

Did you never go to the Vancouver Aquarium when they had Orcas? There's a reason this was at one point their logo: VanAquaLogo.gif

Orcas are indigenous to pretty much all BC waters, the transient sub species especially. You aren't exactly going to see them in Vancouver Harbour, but then any large marine life tends to stay out of those sort of areas. I've no idea why you would think Orcas have more to do with Seattle than they do with Vancouver.

So you're saying that because the Vancouver Aquarium once held Orcas in captivity - a situation that was considered cruel by more than a few - they are somehow a symbol of Vancouver?

Huh?

The common belief on this board that Orcas "represent the north west region of BC and Vancouver" is ridiculous. They don't hold any particular significance or have any great importance within Canadian culture and they are NOT in any way UNIQUE to the west coast.

I hate to point out the obvious, but Orcas are indigenous to every continent in the world. You are just as likely to see an Orca in Mexico as you are in BC. Ironically, you won't see any Orcas at all in Vancouver now that the Aquarium has stopped keeping them in captivity.

As for the Orca's suitability as a logo for the Vancouver Canucks I think most outsiders don't realize the connotations that is has for many Canucks fans. Besides the obvious fact that it has nothing to do with the name or spirit of the Canucks, it represents a corporate sellout to many here. Longstanding fans will forever see a link between Orca Bay and that :censored:ing whale logo. You cannot argue against that fact or try to reason with us. We will never see it any differently. It will never be the true symbol of the Canucks.

Never.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I don't think that matters, if you went to the site and looked at the amount of people voted and who voted for what..you get the picture.

Anyways, that topic for me lives and dies with what the fans have voted the rest i could care less what is said.

So would you like to move on and discuss the ideas i had for the Penguins logo? As for updates and such?

What about this for a Pens update?

cody_800x600.jpg

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

Archived