2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

Thanks.

I cant stand that "retro" jersey, and I will tell you why- The team has only been around for what? 6 or 7 years? I understand everyone else trying the retro, but they really dont have the right... I know they were robbed of their team, but the Wild? Meh. Dont mind the white one though.

I'm with you. the Retro-feel jersey has never done it for me. I especially don't like that the Wild have now abandoned the green jersey all together

and along with it any ties to the Northstars tradition. If for anything, to just have the only green uni in the league.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks.

I cant stand that "retro" jersey, and I will tell you why- The team has only been around for what? 6 or 7 years? I understand everyone else trying the retro, but they really dont have the right... I know they were robbed of their team, but the Wild? Meh. Dont mind the white one though.

I'm with you. the Retro-feel jersey has never done it for me. I especially don't like that the Wild have now abandoned the green jersey all together

and along with it any ties to the Northstars tradition. If for anything, to just have the only green uni in the league.

The retro feel goes deeper than just the Wild franchise. It's for all of Minnesota's hockey ties and history. And while I'm at it, let me point something out to everybody:

MIN_117.gif

In the bear head proper, there is a shooting star that makes up the "eye." When the logo was unveiled, it was said to represent "The North Star." Needless to say, that got a REALLY big cheer from the crowd. Also, this is echoed on either side of the circle, with the two gold stars. So, the whole North Star thing is indeed there, it's just subtle.

And does anybody think that the Wild's 3rd jersey next season WON'T be green? Of course it will. Just be patient, my friends.

To me it HAS to go both ways.

The teams bare the final say and the ultimate responsibility.

But, Reebok surely was pushing their designs, and they allowed this templated look to creep throughout the league.

That's the biggest thing to me is the template. I don't blame them for pushing change, teams can say no. But I kind of blame them for not guiding teams to more unique looks.

Either way, it's wrong to get too angry at all one. They're both at fault (or in some cases the positive side of fault).

Oh, I agree completely. Lots of blame/credit to go around. In ascending order:

The League for starting this mess.

Reebok for pushing all the teams into templates.

Finally, and ultimately, the teams for making the choices.

In the end, the teams have to be responsible, because they're the only ones charged with protecting the heritage of their team. The League is big picture, Reebok is $$$, but the teams ought to have kept one eye on their uniform heritage.

I have to say I prefer the league's old marketing plan with uniforms - or what I assume it to have been. Since the league shared all merchandising revenues - not saying they don't now - they could market classic or futuristic looking uniforms to different demographic groups. You had your Nashville's and Atlanta's for the younger crowd and the original six for the older guys. No one had to conform to a futuristic looking template if they didn't want to. But now that Reebok is on the scene, they all look futuristic and every team is forced to conform to a poorly cut jersey that looks like a bib in the front and a small choice of collars, that with the exception of the lace-ups, only suit the futuristic looking teams.

Obviously Reebok is going after a younger demographic which likely buys the most jerseys, but they risk offending the older crowd. I personally will never buy anything with Reebok on it, but you all knew that.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I have to say I prefer the league's old marketing plan with uniforms - or what I assume it to have been. Since the league shared all merchandising revenues - not saying they don't now - they could market classic or futuristic looking uniforms to different demographic groups. You had your Nashville's and Atlanta's for the younger crowd and the original six for the older guys. No one had to conform to a futuristic looking template if they didn't want to. But now that Reebok is on the scene, they all look futuristic and every team is forced to conform to a poorly cut jersey that looks like a bib in the front and a small choice of collars, that with the exception of the lace-ups, only suit the futuristic looking teams.

Obviously Reebok is going after a younger demographic which likely buys the most jerseys, but they risk offending the older crowd. I personally will never buy anything with Reebok on it, but you all knew that.

This doesn't really make any sense in the face of Montreal, Rangers, Chicago, New Jersey, and Detroit remaining pretty much untouched (and no, moving the captaincy letters to another shoulder doesn't count, nor does an extremely minor collar change IMO), and other teams like Boston, Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, Toronto, Dallas and Vancouver retaining (or in the case of San Jose and Dallas, returning to), a more classical look. (Phoenix, Toronto and Dallas have some changes that are iffy, but they are still pretty classical.)

So you still have futuristic designs mixed with old-school looks... just like you said they had before.

Your argument holds no water.

This doesn't really make any sense in the face of Montreal, Rangers, Chicago, New Jersey, and Detroit remaining pretty much untouched (and no, moving the captaincy letters to another shoulder doesn't count, nor does an extremely minor collar change IMO), and other teams like Boston, Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, Toronto, Dallas and Vancouver retaining (or in the case of San Jose and Dallas, returning to), a more classical look. (Phoenix, Toronto and Dallas have some changes that are iffy, but they are still pretty classical.)

So you still have futuristic designs mixed with old-school looks... just like you said they had before.

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I'm talking about the cut of the jerseys and the collars. They don't suit the traditional uniforms IMO. I could not have been more clear on the subject in my original post.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I'm talking about the cut of the jerseys and the collars. They don't suit the traditional uniforms IMO. I could not have been more clear on the subject in my original post.

It still holds no water. The cut just isn't that drastic or dramatic on the teams that didn't change. *ESPECIALLY* when worn in a game, as evidenced by the photos of the Anaheim/Los Angeles pre-season game tonight.

Also, replica jerseys, which are what the majority of fans will be buying, do not follow the reebok edge cut exactly, and have straight hemlines.

I'm disappointed that San Jose went with the old school look with their's - it just doesn't go with the new logo IMO..... so I did a little chopping.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oilers/Panthers/Predators template, but I think it works really well with the San Jose colors and logo style if they would've done it this way

fakesharksaway.jpgfakesharkshome.jpg

Thanks.

The retro feel goes deeper than just the Wild franchise. It's for all of Minnesota's hockey ties and history. And while I'm at it, let me point something out to everybody:

MIN_117.gif

In the bear head proper, there is a shooting star that makes up the "eye." When the logo was unveiled, it was said to represent "The North Star." Needless to say, that got a REALLY big cheer from the crowd. Also, this is echoed on either side of the circle, with the two gold stars. So, the whole North Star thing is indeed there, it's just subtle.

And does anybody think that the Wild's 3rd jersey next season WON'T be green? Of course it will. Just be patient, my friends.

While I'm not "from" here (I was born else-where, but have now lived in northern Minnesota for quite a while), I completely agree that the retro-look is not for the franchise, but the tradition of the state. I'm fortunate enough to get paid to travel around and watch Minnesota high school hockey in historic places like Warroad, Roseau, Grand Rapids, Thief River Falls, Hibbing, Colerane, Eveleth, Baudette (Lake of the Woods), East Grand Forks, Moorhead and the like - and those rinks absolutly reek of hockey tradition...

Moose

While I'm not "from" here (I was born else-where, but have now lived in northern Minnesota for quite a while), I completely agree that the retro-look is not for the franchise, but the tradition of the state. I'm fortunate enough to get paid to travel around and watch Minnesota high school hockey in historic places like Warroad, Roseau, Grand Rapids, Thief River Falls, Hibbing, Colerane, Eveleth, Baudette (Lake of the Woods), East Grand Forks, Moorhead and the like - and those rinks absolutly reek of hockey tradition...

True enough - too bad they're saddled with such a silly name.

True enough - too bad they're saddled with such a silly name.

True but of all the names the fans had to choose from they chose the best of a bad lot so let's give them some credit for not going with Minnesota Blue Ox, Minnesota Freeze, Minnesota Northern Lights, Minnesota Voyageurs, or Minnesota White Bears.

Photo gallery of the new jerseys are up on http://thrashers.nhl.com

I didn't notice this before, but the sleeve with ATLANTA on it tapers off like the Blue Jackets jersey, and the ATLANTA has been moved up more so it's more on the forearm. I DON'T like that at all. I actually have to say, even with the extraneous piping, that I like the new away duds better than the home, and I'm a huge fan of the "Blueland" jersey. Feh.

Wow those thrashers players look really really depressed.

As for the Wild and the northstar represented, i'm glad it is like that. I grew up primarily a Penguins fan, sure i do sort of like the Canucks, but i also liked the Minnesota North Stars till they moved to Dallas and i just stopped watching them.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

San Jose - A- only for the front numbers and no fin logo. outside that #3 on best update of the summer. I'm considering buying one of those for christmas.

St. Louis - D+ the yellow stripes kill the jersey and makes it look like a 4th grader scribbled on it.

Atlanta - F i didn't think they could look any worse.

Edmonton - F :puke:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

0708_THR_Jerseys_240.jpg

All I see with the white one is the damn Nashville Short Sleeves !!!! NAAAAHHHH!!!!

As for the blue, I'm surprised they didn't go for side panel only on ONE side :blink: If anything the right side (player's right) panel only brings more attention to the lack of shoulder striping on the right sleeve...

Very disappointed in the Trashers....

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

*Waits to be bashed by Neon Matrix, Brassbonaza and CC for liking the Leafs jersey now*

You forgot about me. I think you've shown yourself to be a total douche in this thread.

He forgot about me too! Though, I haven't said anything I have some very opinionated opinions in my opinion maker about things and stuff and such and what not. Yeah!

With all the hate directed towards Pritch, dare I say he's a sloppy concept away from becoming PritchSox#77.

Archived