Raptors Night in Canada

OMMF

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/raptorscbc080107.html

CBC Sports announced Wednesday that it has acquired the rights to broadcast up to 10 Toronto Raptors regular season home games nationally in the coming season, the first in a three-year agreement with the club.

Following an exciting 2006-07 Raptors season that featured the team's first Atlantic Division Championship and tying its franchise win record for a regular season, CBC's agreement calls for broadcasting up to 20 regular season games in each of the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons.

?We?re thrilled to welcome the Raptors to CBC. They?re an exciting team on the rise,? said Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports. ?CBC is dedicated to providing Canadians with premier sport programming and adding the Raptors to our broadcast line up gives added value for sports fans across the country. We?ll air games played on Sundays, which when combined with Saturday?s ?Hockey Night in Canada? delivers our viewers a lineup second to none.?

What with all these name plays on Hockey Nigh and Canada? Football Night in America? Raptors Night in Canada?

Come up with something original or it will never catch on like HNIC has here in Canada. Just because somethings being broadcast nationally with a name that has 3 of the 4 words that make up HNIC, doesn't mean people are going to watch it.

untitled-6.jpg

It's not actually going to be called Raptor Night in Canada. (That was just the title of the thread.)

Also, as I remember, NBC more often calls their NFL programming "Sunday Night Football". There are only sparse references to "Football Night in America."

Football Night in America is the hourlong pregame show before SNF.

Awesome news for the Raps. If they can keep on winning, with this deal, they could conceivably have the entire nation of Canada as a fanbase. Looks nice.

It's not actually going to be called Raptor Night in Canada. (That was just the title of the thread.)

Also, as I remember, NBC more often calls their NFL programming "Sunday Night Football". There are only sparse references to "Football Night in America."

Oh, thank god!

untitled-6.jpg

CBC's really trying to make up for losing the Olympics. They picked up Toronto FC and the recent U-20 World Cup, and by all accounts they've been very successful. I can't see anything bad comming out of picking up the Raptors, as they've been gaining in popularity lately in the GTA.

1zqy8ok.gif

Awesome news for the Raps. If they can keep on winning, with this deal, they could conceivably have the entire nation of Canada as a fanbase. Looks nice.

Many of their games were already televised nationally on TSN and Sportsnet. This won't really add much.

CBC's really trying to make up for losing the Olympics. They picked up Toronto FC and the recent U-20 World Cup, and by all accounts they've been very successful. I can't see anything bad comming out of picking up the Raptors, as they've been gaining in popularity lately in the GTA.

Don't they also have a few weekend Jays games?

saBS.png

Don't they also have a few weekend Jays games?

Yeah I think they've only shown 3 or 4 games so far, but the quality has been really good. Jim Hughson was doing the play-by-play and I really enjoyed him, along with Jesse Barfield who was the commentator.

1zqy8ok.gif

I've really enjoyed CBC's coveragew of the Toronto FC home games. I think it's been the best of all the stations covering TFC (TSN, Sportsnets and The Score).

untitled-6.jpg

I've really enjoyed CBC's coveragew of the Toronto FC home games. I think it's been the best of all the stations covering TFC (TSN, Sportsnets and The Score).

TSN has not been airing Toronto FC games. And The Score is usually just picking up the other team's feed, which is kinda weird.

TSN has not been airing Toronto FC games. And The Score is usually just picking up the other team's feed, which is kinda weird.

Sorry my bad, your right!

On the Score topic, I hate all their broadcasting, that ticketer is so annoying.

untitled-6.jpg

On the Score topic, I hate all their broadcasting, that ticketer is so annoying.

The only network with a ticker on 24/7 even during commercials... i love it.

I believe they have to show the ticker and they also have to interrupt coverage (or commercials) to show updates from other games every 15 or 30 minutes.

When they applied for a license to start the channel they were not allowed to show live sports as they applied to be just a continuous sports news channel (hence the original name - "Headline Sports"), when they changed their name to "The Score" they started showing live sports but were only allowed to under those conditions.

Pointless story yes, but still a story.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The only network with a ticker on 24/7 even during commercials... i love it.

I believe they have to show the ticker and they also have to interrupt coverage (or commercials) to show updates from other games every 15 or 30 minutes.

When they applied for a license to start the channel they were not allowed to show live sports as they applied to be just a continuous sports news channel (hence the original name - "Headline Sports"), when they changed their name to "The Score" they started showing live sports but were only allowed to under those conditions.

Pointless story yes, but still a story.

And a good, if pointless, story at that. I was considering posting something about the ticker and their CRTC license, but I wasn't 100% sure on the details. I know some soccer fans have posted on their blogs disdain for the ticker and having their English Premier League matches interrupted this season.

What with all these name plays on Hockey Nigh and Canada? Football Night in America? Raptors Night in Canada?

Come up with something original or it will never catch on like HNIC has here in Canada. Just because somethings being broadcast nationally with a name that has 3 of the 4 words that make up HNIC, doesn't mean people are going to watch it.

Well, styling yourself after other successful shows is pretty common. Look at TSN's Friday Night Football for the CFL. They're pretty much set out to create a CFL version of Monday Night Football.

As for the Score's MLS coverage, from what I understand its a pretty low-budget network, so its not unexpected that they pick up someone else's feed. That and lots of horseracing.

Archived