Manchester United signs 9 year old.

tajmccall

According to sources, Man U has signed a 9 year old. Obviously to a development contract, but follow the link to watch the little aussie tear through a Brisbane U-10 league.

http://shakedownsports.com/2007/08/02/manc...cradle-robbing/

Apparently his grandpa sent in the DVD highlight reel.

Another reason to hate the Reds. :)

According to sources, Man U has signed a 9 year old. Obviously to a development contract, but follow the link to watch the little aussie tear through a Brisbane U-10 league.

http://shakedownsports.com/2007/08/02/manc...cradle-robbing/

Apparently his grandpa sent in the DVD highlight reel.

Another reason to hate the Reds. :)

... the problem is that the kid is playing against other Australian kids. Wait until he plays against the English kids his age, he will fail miserably ^_^ (this coming from a Man U supporter)

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm really not overly impressed with him. I mean sure he's better then the average 9 year old, but he only has two moves. In the article on my Rogers home page about this, it said that they sign around 40 players this age every year for developement. So why is this kid special?

But congrads to him, and I wish him the best of luck. I just hate when kids get built up by the media before there even in double digits.

untitled-6.jpg

This kid is special because he was not scouted out from among children in Manchester or in any academy; he was signed on the strength of a highlight reel. The fact that he is 9 and signed to a Manchester United contract is not as impressive as it seems; the remarkable part is the way he got there.

This kid is special because he was not scouted out from among children in Manchester or in any academy; he was signed on the strength of a highlight reel. The fact that he is 9 and signed to a Manchester United contract is not as impressive as it seems; the remarkable part is the way he got there.

I wonder if they brought him over first and watched him. Or if they jsut saw the video and sgined him?

untitled-6.jpg

Furthers the fact that ManU's youth development is shambles. What homegrown talent have they nurtured? Signing an Aussie 9 year old on the basis of a YouTube video? Hell, who needs scouting sanity when you can go raid other clubs for talent.

This isn't really that big of a deal. The only real difference here is that the kid's from Australia. I know many people who have been signed to play for the youth system of many European clubs. None of them have suited up for the senior team of these clubs.

1zqy8ok.gif

the only reason this is interesting is because the highlight video hit the Intertubes.

and yes, it's damned impressive - this kid's vision and touch on the ball are ridiculous for a 9-year-old. note that some of the best highlights are when he's sending teammates through as opposed to scoring goals - that's the sort of promise that will make a star.

*shrug* he might be a star in ten years, he might be nothing. Who knows. certainly made an interesting youtube clip :)

harperdc.gif

Archived