United Nations of Baseball Map

pcgd

This was on the Uniwatch comments...I thought it was pretty cool.

Some people on there were complaining about various things, but I thought it was pretty cool. They might not have been perfect, but some things were really accurate. Looks like they split central Illinois pretty much down the middle for Cardinals/Cubs...Jacksonville is Atlanta, stuff like that. Pretty cool IMO.

835641802_ef422b12cf_b1.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They included Vancouver with the Mariners which is also pretty accurate... I do, however, have a hard time believing the Jays cover such little territory in Canada.

Another one I noticed was Erie, PA is lumped in with the Pirates... the people there seemed to be split between the Indians and Pirates, but leaning more towards Cleveland.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They included Vancouver with the Mariners which is also pretty accurate... I do, however, have a hard time believing the Jays cover such little territory in Canada.

... and that territory is graphite :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Cool map.

The Royals do appearantley have a wide reaching fan base, disipite what some would believe.

Here is a list of their affiliate stations that broadcast their games.

Arkansas

Conway

Fort Smith

Harrison

Russellville

Rogers

Iowa

Des Moines

Mt. Pleasant

Shenandoah

Sioux Center

Storm Lake

Kansas

Beloit

Burlington

Chanute

Clay Center

Colby

Coffeyville

Dodge City

Emporia

Fort Scott

Garden City

Great Bend

Hays

Hutchinson

Iola

Junction City

Larned

Lawrence

Manhattan

McPherson

Parsons

Pittsburg

Pratt

Russell

Salina

Scott City

Topeka

Ulysses

Wellington

Winfield

Wichita

Missouri

Ava

Bolivar

Branson

Butler

California

Cameron

Clinton

Jefferson City

Joplin

Marshall

Maryville

Monett

Springfield

St. Joseph

Trenton

Versailles

Warrensburg

Nebraska

Fairbury

Hastings

Kearney

Lincoln

Nebraska City

North Platte

Omaha

York

Oklahoma

Enid

Tulsa

Vinita

South Dakota

Belle Fourche

Yankton

Wyoming

Sundance

A Northern New Jersey is much more Yankees than Mets so that should be bigger. The Yankees should also have Southern Connecticut and possible northeastern PA. Also so should the Orioles who have a bigger following than Nationals who have only been around for 3 years. All of Maryland should fall under the O's. The Braves should probably get all of North and South Carolina from the Nationals. Finally the Marlins are too large they are limited to South Florida (you can't even watch their games in northern Florida.

This map is awesome, even though it's a little off. Canada is Jays country outside of Southern Ontario, maybe besides a couple spots near the border. Their games are on national TV.

There's too much unincorporated territory. The Cubs, Braves and Yankees set up zones of influence all over the place.

Wouldn't Nebraska all be Royals territory too? It looks like they left some out.

The Mariners might have influence in more parts of the Northwest. They put Portland on there, and they definitely are the favorite team of the locals here, but besides Washington, this map limits them to the coast.

I thought Northern Florida was definitely Braves territory, but maybe that's changed a bit after the Marlins' championships.

Such as is.

Finally the Marlins are too large they are limited to South Florida (you can't even watch their games in northern Florida.

You can watch the Marlins in Northern Florida on FSN Florida, I do all the time in Tallahassee.

I thought Northern Florida was definitely Braves territory, but maybe that's changed a bit after the Marlins' championships.

So did I, then I went to FSU....man was I wrong.

The map is very accurate for Florida and Georgia. I wonder if it is based on apparel sales.

Northeastern PA should be more Yankee country than Phillies country, as evidenced by the success of the SWB Yankees, but it is cool.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

So...the Braves have got almost the entire southeast as a stomping ground, according to Nike???

Nice. Kinda figured that. I also figured that the White Sox would have small places, considering the fact that they're the second team in the second city. I'm thinking more than half the city didn't care or was pissed when they won the WS a couple of years back, which is sad.

I was surprised to see the Rangers that much huge territory, but that's Texas for ya: HUGE.

Woot, guess I'll come back from my own hiatus. The boards have seemed to calm down since the excessive flaming that has been going on here recently. I think I'll make myself a fixture around here again.

Personally, I think that Yankees and Mets territory should be combined, at least around here. I know that here (central New Jersey) the amount of Yankees and Mets fans are pretty much equal. At my high school, I'd say that there were more Yankees fans compared to Mets fans (probably because of the Yankees' recent successes and Mets failures) but for the most part it is equal. Now this is coming from me, I live in Middlesex County and it's equal here in central NJ (granted I live in what be considered the northern part of central NJ.) Tank who lives two counties north of me, in Essex County could probably elaborate that much more on the Yankees and Mets because as close as I live to NYC, he lives closer. With all this said, central and northern NJ are most definitely Yankees and Mets territories. However, as you go further south, get to the extreme southern portions of Monmouth County (which is one county south of me in Middlesex) and enter Ocean County it becomes more and more Phillies territory. This point can be illustrated when I went to Six Flags Great Adventure, located in Jackson Township of Ocean County there was a game where you throw a baseball and hit a target. A few of the prizes were a Mets and Phillies pillow (don't remember if there was a Yankees pillow or not, but this illustrates another point. In Connecticut all you hear is Yankees/Red Sox territory. I think that close to but north of NYC is more Yankees than Mets territory (though it is close) and close to but south of NYC is more Mets territory (though it too, is close, with the point that slightly more kids at my old school are Yankees than Mets fans.) So as you go further south in NJ you get more and more into Phillies territory, which all of South Jersey is. But what leaves me confused with this is, back in 2003 I had an ice hockey tournament in Vineland NJ, located in Cumberland County. It was I believe February and in the hotel lobby, you could get games for Philadelphia and NY/NJ teams. I recall the Sixers playing the Sonics and the Rangers were on earlier that night or the night before. That makes me wonder even more about the blackout rule and possibly even the territories in general. Vitamin D can probably elaborate on South Jersey/Philly sports more than me though.

On another note, in 2005 me, my dad, and my brother went up to Massachusetts. I think my brother had a hockey tournament or something, but while we were there we were going to catch a Red Sox game. On the way up, we were listening to the Yankees who were playing the Blue Jays. We were in extreme southern Mass. and I mean, extreme. Probably about two miles north of the CT border when we stopped to get something to eat. This confused the hell out of me because we were definitely in Red Sox territory at that point. I don't know, that was just odd to me.

EDIT: When I was in Orlando when I went to Disney World this year, I caught the last few innings of a Devil Rays/Blue Jays game. I didn't see the Marlins play, but I wasn't at the hotel to find out if I could see them. I caught the D' Rays by luck after I went swimming at the hotel I went back to the room for a nap. Other folks from Orlando and central Florida could probably say if the Marlins are on in that area though.

So...the Braves have got almost the entire southeast as a stomping ground, according to Nike???

Nice. Kinda figured that.

You have to remember, the Braves have a big national following because of TBS. Back in the day, no other team had their games broadcast on a national scale as often as the Braves did. There was no internet, no XM radio....so if you wanted your baseball fix and didn't live in a market of a team, you either watched the Braves on TBS, or you waited for the late news or the morning newspaper the next day.

Some teams also have (or could have I should say) more splotches separated from their main territory or in territory that now belongs to another team.

The Cardinals and Braves come to mind in that regard. The Cardinals had a huge fanbase when there were less teams and they could be heard on KMOX accross most of the country (this is the second year since they left KMOX). Atlanta includes the area that used to have plenty of KMOX Cardinals fans, but they've been around a while now and TBS has done for them some of what KMOX did for the Cardinals, just on the TV. Plus the Cubs have fans all over with WGN.

Oh and of course the Red Sox and the Yankees with ESPN. :P

Edit: Hedley beat me to much of what I was saying.

Nice. Kinda figured that.

You have to remember, the Braves have a big national following because of TBS. Back in the day, no other team had their games broadcast on a national scale as often as the Braves did. There was no internet, no XM radio....so if you wanted your baseball fix and didn't live in a market of a team, you either watched the Braves on TBS, or you waited for the late news or the morning newspaper the next day.

Oh I'm aware of that. Living in Mississippi in my pre-adolescent days, it was either the Braves on TBS or get satellite cable. More often than not, the former was the choice for most folks :P Wasn't Ted Turner hyping up the Braves as "America's Team" back when they were the doormats of the league essentially???

Archived