New Orleans Crawfish

Gothamite

It's funny.....when I worked for a local tv station here in Tyler, the news director, upon finding out I was from NOLA, nicknamed me "Crawdad". I repeatedly told him that no one south of the Mason-Dixon line calls them crawdads. He insisted I was wrong, you know, with him being from Beaumont, Texas and the amazingly large Cajun contingent in Texas, and with me, being from Southeast Louisiana and my family being from such un-Cajun sounding places as Jeanerette, Gueydan, Grand Coteau, etc. So he felt compelled to call me "Crawdad" for my entire tenure there. My last day there, I SCREAMED at him that it was CRAWFISH, not CRAWDAD you f***ing moron! It's crawfish, not crawdad.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it with me now C-R-A-W-F-I-S-H!!!! Not Crawdads! Not Crayfish! It's CRAWFISH!....Now as far as the concept....I really like it! Hand's down it would stand better to the New Orleans, culture than a hornet and having said that, although we're accustomed to purple, green and gold for obvious reasons, I don't think it would suit the team having changed their names to a animal that as stated before starts of brown and once we get a hold of em'....turns spicy cajun red!! But for the hell of it I never actually saw a teal and purple hornet flying around in my lifetime so I guess anything is possible. Good job though and don't think I won't put mine out!!!!! Ha ha ha ha.....ha!

You wouldn't think "Crawfish" could work as a nickname until you see that primary logo, and then you get by it.

I wouldn't have thought it could work, either, until I saw that logo.

I thought about recoloring, but I like the colors for New Orleans. It doesn't bother me that crawfish aren't blue - if that was really a consideration, the Bears, Lions, Bucks would all have to wear shades of brown, the Georgia Bulldogs couldn't use red, and the Packers would have to wear aprons on the field....

Thanks again for the kind words, lads.

• 1 month later...

Don't know how I missed this concept the first time around, but it's freakin' awesome. Really, stunningly good, even if the lettering makes me think of Adam Dunn. I generally don't like basketball as a sport, I generally don't like basketball uniforms, and I generally don't like sports teams of any kind from the South. But I would be a fan of any team that looked like this. Gets my vote for best basketball concept, pretty much ever.

And by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2ZvYcX-MA

20082614447.png

It's funny.....when I worked for a local tv station here in Tyler, the news director, upon finding out I was from NOLA, nicknamed me "Crawdad". I repeatedly told him that no one south of the Mason-Dixon line calls them crawdads. He insisted I was wrong, you know, with him being from Beaumont, Texas and the amazingly large Cajun contingent in Texas, and with me, being from Southeast Louisiana and my family being from such un-Cajun sounding places as Jeanerette, Gueydan, Grand Coteau, etc. So he felt compelled to call me "Crawdad" for my entire tenure there. My last day there, I SCREAMED at him that it was CRAWFISH, not CRAWDAD you f***ing moron! It's crawfish, not crawdad.

I feel you... I wanna punch someone everytime someone calls me a cheesehead or asks me about cheese at all...

Cheese is NOT (and never was) made in Milwaukee. And other than a 3-game series in 1987 (as a JOKE), we've never worn those f***in' foam hats either...

From Wikipedia:

Some kinds of crayfish are known locally as lobsters, crawdads, mudbugs and yabbies. In the Eastern United States, "crayfish" is more common in the north, while "crawdad" is heard more in central regions, and "crawfish" further south, although there are considerable overlaps.
98% of the crayfish harvested in the United States come from Louisiana, where the standard culinary terms are crawfish or écrevisses.

Aww heck, just call them the New Orleans Pincers and be done with it...

LT

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Gothamite concept before. It really looks good. I like what you've done with this.

I'm just surprised it's so... uh... modern looking. :D

Oh, and nice Penny Arcade drop.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived