Twins Bridge Collapse Memorial Patch

BallWonk

Pretty much this whole decade, it seems like every team wears some kind of memorial patch all the time. Some designer could probably make a living just designing good memorial patches ...

Anyway, here is a throw-together concept of a possible memorial patch for the Twins to wear this summer and fall:

35memorialpatch.gif35memorialpatch-road.gif

I went with "35" instead of "35W" just because it gives a cleaner look and still communicates the event being memorialized just as clearly.

Fellow-Minnesotan sympathies to anyone affected by the disaster. What a terrible, terrible thing to happen to the Twin Cities.

I assume you made it black to reflect the somberness of the event, but given the colors it seems White Sox-y. However, I don't think that's too much of a problem when it would be on the jersey. Good job.

I assume you made it black to reflect the somberness of the event, but given the colors it seems White Sox-y. However, I don't think that's too much of a problem when it would be on the jersey. Good job.

Yeah, while the bright red and blue of an actual Interstate sign would be team-appropriate, I felt it might have been a bit festive. But you raise a good point; perhaps some kind of black ribbon-y device over a regular red and blue sign would be more evocative. See? There is totally a niche here for a good designer to focus on memorial marks.

Yeah, while the bright red and blue of an actual Interstate sign would be team-appropriate, I felt it might have been a bit festive. But you raise a good point; perhaps some kind of black ribbon-y device over a regular red and blue sign would be more evocative. See? There is totally a niche here for a good designer to focus on memorial marks.

Yeah, maybe just have the sign say Interstate 35 in muted colors (twins colors perhaps?)

With a ribbon of black ribbon across saying "Remember"

Well, I've never liked "Remember" memorial script anyway. If you have to say it, then the rest of the design isn't doing its job.

How about something more like this, drawing on the shield shape and the way police officers use a black band across the shield to memorialize a comrade, with muted shades of an actual Interstate sign's colors:

35memorialpatch2.gif35memorialpatch2-road.gif

Ah, the old "cut the baby in half" approach. Usually ends badly for the baby, but perhaps this does the trick:

35memorialpatch3.gif35memorialpatch3-road.gif

I wonder -- really! I don't pretend to have an answer to this one -- how important scanning at a distance is as a quality for a memorial patch. Very few memorial patches do; you have to see them up close to make any sense of them, and even then, you usually already have to know what they're for. Exceptions I can think of include the Cubs' wonderful Harry Caray patch and the Twins current Herb Carneal patch. But mostly, they're little more than dark smudges if seen from any distance. Is that a feature -- subtlety! -- or a fault?

BallWonk, you might want to give the fonts here a whirl - use Series D for the numbers and Series C for the "Minnesota" text and see how that works for you. It'll look more authentic IMO.

Thanks -- people should bookmark that page.

I actually used Series E in both cases because I thought it looked a bit clearer, if less accurate, though I would up playing with the proportions on the number a bit to bring it back about halfway to Series D's widths. But I'll give it a whirl with the correct versions if I do any further drafts.

Sounds like you'd get a kick out of a roadsign in my neighborhood. It faces a T intersection where I am often stopped in the left-turn lane. It identifies each direction of the top of the T with U.S., state, and county road numbers, and it has separate signs for north and south. And between the two clusters of three signs each, not a single one repeats the same exact fonts from its counterpart. Thing makes my head hurt if I look at it too long.

Funny how that works, huh?

Ah, the old "cut the baby in half" approach. Usually ends badly for the baby, but perhaps this does the trick:

35memorialpatch3.gif35memorialpatch3-road.gif

I wonder -- really! I don't pretend to have an answer to this one -- how important scanning at a distance is as a quality for a memorial patch. Very few memorial patches do; you have to see them up close to make any sense of them, and even then, you usually already have to know what they're for. Exceptions I can think of include the Cubs' wonderful Harry Caray patch and the Twins current Herb Carneal patch. But mostly, they're little more than dark smudges if seen from any distance. Is that a feature -- subtlety! -- or a fault?

True enough, but with the black band, I know what the design is, and I still can't read it on my monitor....

BallWonk, you might want to give the fonts here a whirl - use Series D for the numbers and Series C for the "Minnesota" text and see how that works for you. It'll look more authentic IMO.

<threadjack>

Thank you for sending me on a four-hour adventure of mapping all the highways I've driven on. :P

http://cmap.m-plex.com/

</threadjack>

Archived