US State and National Flags

GoValpo

not used anymore, but

28%20japanese%20rising%20sun%20flag.jpg

i want one of those headbands with that design

WOW... Gee I wonder can some one post the Nazi flag of the same time? To some...Koreans, Chinese, Filipino, Aussies, and Americans, this flag is equal to the Nazi flag. Perhaps some one could post the Battle Flag of the Confederacy. Oh and is it ok to have a headband with a swastika too?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it dates back to 1889, and is actually still used by naval officers

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

it dates back to 1889, and is actually still used by naval officers

So that makes it ok? Just because this board isn't populated with people of Chinese or Korean decent, who can flood the thread with how offensive the flag is to them, doesn't make it any less offensive. I don't care if it goes back to 1689...it became a symbol of oppression to the peoples it oppressed. The Swastika was and in some cultures still considered an important symbol in the Dharmic religions, and it dates to the neolithic period. But when the Olympics were in Nagano in 98 CBS and the CBC avoided showing any building which it adorned, and that included the most important temple in the city, and most other important building.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

ok i'm sorry, i take back anything i may have said about anything relating to japan or japanese symbols and i appologize to any offended parties...

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

The Japanese Naval Ensign is a great design. It doesn't carry the stigma that the flag of Nazi Germany has. Hell, the United States has been associated with many atrocities, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some whiner keep me from displaying the flag.

There is always some group that is going to have problems with imagery of their enemies. The Nazi flag never represented Germany during a time of honor. The Japanese Naval Ensign has seen more good years than bad and simply doesn't fall into that category.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I just wasn't aware of any negative connotations. I just thought of it as a sharp design so therefore posted it. As for the headband thing, i just thought it would look kind of cool.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

The Japanese Naval Ensign is a great design. It doesn't carry the stigma that the flag of Nazi Germany has. Hell, the United States has been associated with many atrocities, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some whiner keep me from displaying the flag.

There is always some group that is going to have problems with imagery of their enemies. The Nazi flag never represented Germany during a time of honor. The Japanese Naval Ensign has seen more good years than bad and simply doesn't fall into that category.

In your opinion, to me, and to millions of Chinese, Koreans and others it is just as offensive. And enlighten me when did the Japanese Navel Ensign fly over Japan in a time of honor, Pearl Harbor? the Rape of Nanking?, perhaps the Bataan Death March?

The fact that it is still used by Japan now amazes me. And this from Wikepedia, "Outside of Japan, the Naval Ensign has a negative connotation, especially to people who fought against Japan in the Second World War or to those countries that were occupied by Japan."

I just wasn't aware of any negative connotations. I just thought of it as a sharp design so therefore posted it. As for the headband thing, i just thought it would look kind of cool.

Yea...just like those cool swastika arm bands.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

now i am aware. i learned something new today. i am a bad person. thank you for telling me. drop it.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

In your opinion, to me, and to millions of Chinese, Koreans and others it is just as offensive. And enlighten me when did the Japanese Navel Ensign fly over Japan in a time of honor, Pearl Harbor? the Rape of Nanking?, perhaps the Bataan Death March?

The fact that it is still used by Japan now amazes me. And this from Wikepedia, "Outside of Japan, the Naval Ensign has a negative connotation, especially to people who fought against Japan in the Second World War or to those countries that were occupied by Japan."

For sensitive people, I understand the distress. I'll still defend the rising sun flag on its effective design. It's not like the Chinese or Koreans are free from guilt over atrocities. Like I said, any symbolism of an enemy can be picked apart. If the only flag design considered is one free of guilt, is Canada the winner by default? I hope you understand my point.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

haha, classic.

come on, even the nazi flag is pretty good in terms of design.

we are just talking aesthetically in this case. flags dont kill, oppress,

rape or pillage anybody. other people do.

and im sure most flags (or rather nations) will cause resentment for some people around the world.

the union jack is probably responsible for most of the worls appression over the years in terms of numbers.

india, africa even north america were uk 'owned and run'. any americans think the jack looks cool?

its even firmly bolted to the top left of my countries flag (nz).

should we take down all the us state and national flags from the because many people in the middle east

find them representative of an oppressive regime? do any brazilians want the portugese flag off?

common, everybody must want the libyan flag down!?

if you want to make a fuss about it, go ahead, but we are talking about the aesthetics of flags, not the groups

of people they represent.

I'll throw my nominee for "Best Unused Flag" in the ring...Brazil

br_89p.gif

heh, the victim mentality that permeates my race tells me any confederate flag should offend the hell outta me, but then this aint the flag rednecks and klansmen everywhere parade around with. purely designwise, this is actually a favorite of mine. can't say the same thing about those who used it, obviously.

us-csa7.gif

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bullđŸ¤¬

That's the first flag used by the confederacy, they went through three.

But the confederate battle flag (the one you see most) is a great design, especially for the time it was made, I like that flag, but not because I'm a racist or anything like that. Only because I think it is a good design, and my ancestors fought for the confederacy, but not for slavery, but for their rights. That's what most confederates where fighting for, most of them could care less about slavery, it was going to die in a short time anyway. It's sad that that flag can't even be flown where confederate soldiers are buried, and it's a shame that that flag is now connected to racism.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Saying that that Japanese flag is offensive because of WWII and other similar events is like saying this flag is offensive:

800px-Flag_of_Italy_(1861-1946)_crowned.svg.png

Even though it was used for nearly 75 years before Italy's invasion of Ethiopia

Maybe to some Africns, but come on, Germany, Japan, and Italy were not themselves at those times. They were Hitler, Hirohito, and Mussolini. Its not fair to prosecute a country and its people for their actions in WWII. WWII is a period that they (excluding some of the old timers, maybe) would rather forget and would wish the rest of the world would quit prosecuting them for.

Im 1/2 Italian, 1/4 German. Do I want to colonize Africa and kill jews? No. I, personally, hate racists. But im not going to attack a guy for saying he likes the Nazi flag's design. If he said he liked what it stood for and who used it then, yes, I would be offended. But, personally, I agree taht the Nazi flag wasnt too bad of a design. It doesnt mean im racist.

oBIgzrL.png

The motherland (my heritage)...

india-flag.jpg

Old school one for the city of Baroda (my grandma be from here)...

in-baror.gif

Another heritage one for my family...

rajkot.gif

City of Vancouver flag (birth city represent)...

300px-Flag_of_Vancouver_(Canada).svg.png

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Nice thread topic.

I always loved flags :)

Here are my favorites around the world (Canada excluded for bias purposes):

#1-Angola: I like the black/red juxtaposition and the nice logo in the middle

Angoal.png

#2-Barbados: Blue and yellow (sea and sand) go well together and the trident has a cool look

Barbados.png

#3-Papua New Guinea: The bird of paradise is an unique species and I like how they incorporated it onto their flag

PapuaNewGuinea.png

#4-East Timor: I dunno why I like it I just do. Now looking back at my selections seems I like black and red colour schemes :P

EastTimor.png

As for Canada I always loved Nunavut's flag:

Nunavut.png

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Archived