US State and National Flags

GoValpo

There are two flags I really like,

Kiribati http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Kiribati.svg

And Wales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Wales_2.svg

I always found the Welsh flag interesting, especially it's back story. According to some, the flag came over with the Romans when most of Britain was part of the Roman Empire. Pretty neat.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA:

1. Maryland

2. New Mexico

3. Arizona

4. Hawai'i

5. California

26-50. Every state that mailed it in by stitching their Great Seal to a plain background (and may or may not have added the state name)

WORLD:

1. USA (slightly biased, but it's unlike any flag before it, it's inspired other nations (Malaysia, Liberia), and it conveys America around the world)

2. Ireland (very biased, but it's my list and I'll take that liberty)

3. Kenya (great design, and the acknowledged symbolism behind it is perfectly conveyed, as is the "other"/alleged meaning)

4. South Africa (well-conceived and inclusive of many histories that make one country)

5. Belarus (red for the past, green for the future, and the distinctive pattern of the "rushnik" for the culture)

6. Canada (belongs in the Top 5 to be fair... simple, effective, beautiful - and paired with a kicka$$ anthem to boot)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Arizona:

64537018_o.gif

The Union Jack:

64538359_o.gif

Kazmanizar:

64538364_o.jpg

And the battle flag of Confederate States of America:

64537089_o.jpg

I also like the Portugese, and Rising Sun flag of Japan. You do not have to agree with the politics represented by the flag to admire its design features. Even the Nazi Party flag, which became the German national flag from 1933-45 was a great looking banner.

FsQiF2W.png

I love, New Mexico's flag, I love Switzerland.

My fave city flag goes to either:

Seattle:

737px-Flag_of_Seattle.svg.png

or Buffalo:

BFLOflag.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

or Buffalo:

BFLOflag.png

I may be the biggest Buffalo homer on this board, but our flag is horrendous. I get the symbolism in the lightning bolts "City of Lights" from the 1901 Pan-Am Exposition and the stars depict NYS as an original 13 colony. But it is horrible. If I wasn't from Buffalo, I wouldn't know what it is for. And the seal needs some major updating.

As for cities flags I like:

Washington DC

Washington.jpg

Chicago

Chicago.jpg

St Louis

StLouis.jpg

Denver

Denver.jpg

saBS.png

States:

1. Maryland

2. Arizona

3. New Mexico

National:

1. Kenya

2. Jamaica

3. Canada

As far as the WORST state flags:

1. Georgia (it's a cheap knock-off of the confederate national flag)

2. Every state that uses their state seal with a blue background... some originality would be nice.

Since others have taken the liberty to dump on their city's flag, I don't think anyone can possibly beat Milwaukee for the worst city flag. It's made even worse by the dubious history behind it... it was submitted by an alder who plagiarized the ideas of other submissions from a "create the flag" contest.

mil_flag.png

To make things worse is Milwaukee's location... on I-94 between two cities with two of the best flags you'll find anywhere... Chicago and Madison. Chicago's flag has already been posted. But here's Madison's...

us-wi-ma.gif

I came up with this redesign for the Milwaukee flag awhile back. The blue space on the right represents Lake Michigan, the green represents Milwaukee's extensive park system and commitment to a "green" economy (ranked #10 in the nation by SustainLane) and the clock face represents the Allen-Bradley Clock Tower. The time shown on the clock is 6:46 or in military time... 18:46, the year of Milwaukee's founding.

mil_flag_4.png

I don't know how well it would be taken in by local residents, but I don't think anyone could argue that it's not an upgrade over what we have now.

St Louis

StLouis.jpg

So, speaking of this awesome flag, anyone happen to know anywhere to find the official colors? I'm hoping for PANTONE values, but I'll take what I can get.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived