Grays-Stars game in DC

nybatt

checking out some of the nats-cards game tonight being played in their negro league throwbacks. I noticed the St. Louis Stars wearing solid red socks, EXCEPT for Juan Encarnacion who is wearing the tradition cardinals' striped socks. very weird!

I believe he is the only one.

Well, I believe Juan's been showing his socks most of the year, and they've of course been the striped socks. So while it was abnormal for some guys to wear the red socks and hike their pants up, Juan maybe didn't think about it and just put his normal socks on.

I dunno.

Good catch though, I hadn't noticed.

Erroneous hosiery or no, I think this might just have been the best-uniformed game in sports history. Setting aside the big white block G on their caps, I think the Nats' creamy Grays throwbacks are now officially my favorite baseball uniforms of all time. The solid-blue pocket flaps are the key: That one little detail absolutely made the uniforms. I almost wanted to cry, the Nats looked so beautiful.

Those Stars uniforms were also a delight to behold, though like the Nats better from the neck down. Both teams looked great in their blue batting helmets with modern cap logos. If the Nats adapted the Grays uniform style, they could keep the curly W and it would look pretty good with the rest of the uniform.

Why were the Washington Nationals wearing he jersey of a Pittsburgh Negro Leauge team?

Yes, they were called the Homestead Grays, but Homestead is a suburb of Pittsburgh. Didnt DC have a Negro Leauge team? If so why not wear thiers?

Why were the Washington Nationals wearing he jersey of a Pittsburgh Negro Leauge team?

Yes, they were called the Homestead Grays, but Homestead is a suburb of Pittsburgh. Didnt DC have a Negro Leauge team? If so why not wear thiers?

The Grays played half their home games in D.C. for a while. Therefore, the Grays are technically D.C.'s and Pittsburgh's Negro Leauge team. About the unis, they look great, but they're a tad baggy.

The Grays played half their home games in D.C. for a while. Therefore, the Grays are technically D.C.'s and Pittsburgh's Negro Leauge team. About the unis, they look great, but they're a tad baggy, which perfectly paired the uniforms of yesterday with the styles and tailoring of the day.

There. Fixed that for you. :therock:

I seem to recall reading that the Grays played a majority of their home games in Washington in the 1940s....

In any case, DC certainly has a claim on their legacy.

Actually according to wikipedia "many" of their games were in Washington, but not a "majority".

Granted, wikipedia isn't always right, though. But in my book they have enough a claim on the team's history to wear their unis and honor them.

Now, to rename the Nationals after them like I think I saw someone on this board propose, they don't have enough history with he team to do.

In any case, those were great uniforms, and should be like that now. I personally hate the tighter pants and shirt and low socks look nowadays. Baseball unis are supposed to be baggy with socks up.

Now, to rename the Nationals after them like I think I saw someone on this board propose, they don't have enough history with he team to do.

I don't see any reason why not - why not honor the Negro Leagues this way?

Is your objection to losing the name "Nationals"?

I don't see any reason why not - why not honor the Negro Leagues this way?

Is your objection to losing the name "Nationals"?

No. But, considering Washington was only a secondary home to the team in its final years doesn't constitute a full re-branding of the Nationals to honor them. there's nothing wrong with honoring negro leagues or teams, but it doesn't seem right for Washington to go that far with a team that was only partly theirs for a relatively short amount of time.

However I wouldn't mind if they changed away from Nationals. Senators is a good name. As long as they never lose the curly W. The "DC" cap, strike that, anything that team has that has beveled letters is terrible.

No. But, considering Washington was only a secondary home to the team in its final years doesn't constitute a full re-branding of the Nationals to honor them. there's nothing wrong with honoring negro leagues or teams, but it doesn't seem right for Washington to go that far with a team that was only partly theirs for a relatively short amount of time.

Well, as soon as the Pirates change their name to honor the Grays, you'll have a valid objection to Washingtonians wishing for the name. Until then, this objection seems a bit silly.

The Grays are certainly well known and remembered in DC, by white fans and black, and this area is sort of a hub of Negro Leagues scholarship in large part because the Grays left such a lasting impression here.

However I wouldn't mind if they changed away from Nationals. Senators is a good name. As long as they never lose the curly W. The "DC" cap, strike that, anything that team has that has beveled letters is terrible.

You're wrong wrong wrong! :P But I've spoken on background with what I'll call a top team official, someone who is in a position to make decisions about this sort of thing, and he hates the DC logo. The goal is to try to build the Nationals as a global brand, particularly in Latin America, and the DC logo is very parochial. Locally, it's a very significant initial: if you want to refer to the metro area, you say "Washington." If you want to specify that you mean the city of Washington itself, not the Virginia or Maryland suburbs, you say "DC" or "the District." So the DC cap is kind of a unique case in baseball, and a real nod to the local community. Which this top team official believes muddies the waters of the team's identity, which will increasingly be all about the curly W.

When I pointed out that the Grays throwbacks were distinctive to a degree seen only among the teams with the highest brand recognition -- Yankees pinstripes, Braves piping & tomahawk, Dodgers plain white -- while the regular Nationals uniforms, though pretty, are kind of run-of-the-mill, I did not get what I would call a positive response from this top team official. So the DC cap may be on its way out, but I'm not optimistic that we might get a uniform overhaul to better integrate the curly W anytime soon. Alas.

Well, as soon as the Pirates change their name to honor the Grays, you'll have a valid objection to Washingtonians wishing for the name. Until then, this objection seems a bit silly.

That's my reaction, as well.

Archived