Nike commercial featuring Chargers & LT

jojotarantino

I found this link on the Chargers message boards. It's a new nike commercial that features the Chargers and LT. There's some discrepancy in the new Charger uniforms in this commercial. If you look closely at the lightning bolts, Rivers and Merriman have bolts that appear to be pointing forward which match the helmet. The other players have the opposite bolts and look upside down. The ones that match the helmets look so much better. Take a look. What does everyone think?

That's a good observation. We actually discussed this a while back, when the uniforms were first released. I don't think that this discrepancy was ever observed on the same color jerseys though (before it was the powder-blue that had the different pattern than the navy and white.) Hopefully the "upside down" bolts were a "feature" that they later corrected, and Rivers is wearing the most current version of the jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's a good observation. We actually discussed this a while back, when the uniforms were first released. I don't think that this discrepancy was ever observed on the same color jerseys though (before it was the powder-blue that had the different pattern than the navy and white.) Hopefully the "upside down" bolts were a "feature" that they later corrected, and Rivers is wearing the most current version of the jersey.

I love the players on the Bears in this commercial. I mean, I understand Brian Urlacher not wanting to be in this (regardless of how funny it was watching him get beaten on a run by Tom Brady last season), but it still irks me.

Rob

I love the players on the Bears in this commercial. I mean, I understand Brian Urlacher not wanting to be in this (regardless of how funny it was watching him get beaten on a run by Tom Brady last season), but it still irks me.

Rob

That is an excellent point. Thanks for your contribution!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm actually kind of impressed that someone noticed that. I would never had noticed that myself. Its funny too because there was a long overblown thread about the new Charger uniforms and that one little detail about the bolt probably took up half of that thread. If they did indeed end up changing it then it would be an improvement....even if it was pretty subtle.

I'm actually kind of impressed that someone noticed that. I would never had noticed that myself. Its funny too because there was a long overblown thread about the new Charger uniforms and that one little detail about the bolt probably took up half of that thread. If they did indeed end up changing it then it would be an improvement....even if it was pretty subtle.

The light blue next to the dark blue and yellow of the gold in the bold still gives off a subtle green look when giving it a quick glance and looking away...like those glad sandwich bags...

ba8afwzk8flb7xy0sya5.gif

I see the difference, but I still don't view the bolts as "upside down."

Rather, I see them as taking into account what pads do to a uniform and having them angle back in towards the player.

And I for one like it better. I think it's sleeker looking.

If the bolts were straight up and down on the top of the shoulder, that'd be one thing. But they aren't. They're on the side of the shoulder at the angle, and I think the version on LT looks best.

I just hope whatever they went with that everyone has the same one by gametime.

I see the difference, but I still don't view the bolts as "upside down."

Rather, I see them as taking into account what pads do to a uniform and having them angle back in towards the player.

And I for one like it better. I think it's sleeker looking.

If the bolts were straight up and down on the top of the shoulder, that'd be one thing. But they aren't. They're on the side of the shoulder at the angle, and I think the version on LT looks best.

I just hope whatever they went with that everyone has the same one by gametime.

I agree with you. The cut of these stripes aren't the same as USC and others that have the sholder stripe. This cut appears to come towards the player's face. Therefore, the bolt should be "upside down" from the helmet. If it was "right side up" it would look backwards...to me anyway.

Doesn't matter to me though, either way they still look ridiculously sharp.

Well, all the jersey I've seen for sale around town, from replicas to authentics, feature the "upside down" bolt, so I think Rivers had the wrong-styled jersey.

In the thread devoted to the new unis I said I'd reserve judgement until seeing them on the field. Well, I've seen them on the field, at least in this commercial, and here's what comes to mind: downgrade, with the exception of the white helmet.

P.S. That commercial reminds me of the movie Everybody's All-American, specifically the sequence in the snowstorm where Dennis Quaid as Gavin Grey is trying a comeback with the Broncos and they keep showing shots of him sequenced with shots of the defense digging in. The images of Dennis Quaid keep getting tighter and tighter until all you can see are his eyes behind his face mask. For my money, one of the very coolest sports sequences in any movie ever, even if his run doesn't work out quite as well as LT's. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

In the thread devoted to the new unis I said I'd reserve judgement until seeing them on the field. Well, I've seen them on the field, at least in this commercial, and here's what comes to mind: downgrade, with the exception of the white helmet.

Agreed, downgrade. Instead of creating a great new look, they created a "leftover stew" including looks from uniforms up to this point. Such promise, such disppointment.

An issue that was brought to my attention after seeing the L.T. commecial for the 5th time:

The background of the endzone has the familiar Chargers helmet with lightning on a blue background.

But the helmet itself is the old navy with white and yellow bolt on it, rather than the new white helmet with yellow bolt.

Do you think/know that they'll change their field walls for this year or leave up last years?

My biggest comment is that I am shocked that Nike got permission to do a commercial using NFL merchandise and logos. If I was Reebok I would be steamed. They are THE manufacturer of the NFL, this commercial makes it fuzzy what they are even advertising.

Remember, Nike pays several million to be an official licensee of the NFL, allowing them to use official team uniforms in their promotions, provided they do not cover the Reebok logo. It's a part of their deal to allow players to wear Nike cleats on the field.

Archived