If You Were AD For a Day

rock55choc

If you were AD for a day and could schedule the 2007 non-conference schedule of your favorite college football team, who would you play and why? Be sure to specify which game is home and which game is away. A #1 rule for me would be that under no circumstances would I schedule a member of D1AA, or the correct term now is Football Championship Subdivision. As a Mississippi State fan, here is how my slate would look.

First game of the year would bring a visit from Texas Christian. They are a competitive team with an always stingy defense. State had a home and home series with fellow MWC member Brigham Young a few years back and I'd like to see State play another team from that league.

Second, after a few weeks of SEC games I would have a road trip to Purdue. Purdue and State are at about equal stature within their own respective conferences and I think this would be an interesting matchup.

Third, for Homecoming I would play East Carolina. They are a bowl team from last year and have a good young coach in SKip Holtz.

Finally, for the last nonconference game of the season, I would play Arizona @ home. The Wildcats have a good young QB in Willy Tuitiama and this too would be an interesting matchup.

This would give State 7 home games and 5 road games for the season.

This is just an idea I like to kick around from time to time. Let me know your thoguhts. Thanks.

LibertyBowl.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, scheduling teams like that for Mississippi State will pretty much ensure you only being AD for a day because after the ensuing 0-11 season you would get fired, and possibly get ran out of Starkville on a rail. :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

As a fan of Notre Dame, I would attempt to schedule the following schedule, in an attempt to crack the BCS.

at Ohio State

at Michigan

at Oklahoma

at Texas

at Florida

at Florida State

at Louisiana State

at West Virginia

at Virginia Tech

at California

at Louisville

at USC

Maybe with an undefeated season and that schedule, the Irish might be able to get into the Sugar Bowl - it'd be a great fit for them. No National Championship Game though, as that game should be played between two conference champions.

LvZYtbZ.png

Before I go through on what I would do if I was AD, to willmorris...You're telling me if Notre Dame ran the table with that DEATHMARCH schedule, they wouldn't be allowed to play for the national championship??? Either way, the AP would give them the #1 and then we'd have a split championship, so why not let them in the BCS if all that's going to cause is a headache for everyone involved???

And, if I was AD of MSU (since I'm a fan of those sad, sad Bulldogs also), just so we can at least pad some wins

Week 1: SEC opponent (Since apparently, for some odd reason, it's become a tradition for us to play the very first game of the year.)

Week 2: FCS School (If Florida could play Western Carolina the week before they played Florida St., and still be considered for the national championship [i seriously thought them playing WCU when they did :censored:ed up their chances at the title] then MSU can play some FCS school first.)

Week 3: WAC School (Schedule a home-and-home with one of the schools from the WAC, preferably not Hawaii since apparently all that's good for is an easy win at home one year, then a vacation and an assbeating combined the next year.)

Week 4: ACC school (Sort of a tune-up for the SEC grind)

Week 5: Bye

Week 6-Finish: SEC Play

But, knowing how this team plays, we'd have to schedule FCS schools at the max, and sneak up on EVERYBODY to even have a chance. But that's where recruiting people to actually come here and make a difference...but that's a whole 'nother animal entirely. In short, I'd be fired too. :D

Before I go through on what I would do if I was AD, to willmorris...You're telling me if Notre Dame ran the table with that DEATHMARCH schedule, they wouldn't be allowed to play for the national championship??? Either way, the AP would give them the #1 and then we'd have a split championship, so why not let them in the BCS if all that's going to cause is a headache for everyone involved???
But Notre Dame didn't win their conference. If they don't win their conference, they shouldn't be playing for a national title. Besides, a team that could go unbeaten against that schedule would only finish at about .500 in the SEC or Big Ten anyways.

LvZYtbZ.png

Penn State:

Notre Dame - this is happening week 2 anyway, but I'd open with them instead.

Alabama - There used to be the rivalry between PSU/Bama, they've not met since 1990 (They were supposed to play 09/10, but IDK if thats happening anymore)

@ Pitt - Just to shut their fans up for a while...

Cue Big 10 Season

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Well, they're not IN a conference, but obviously if they went undefeated with that schedule, they're the best team in the nation BY FAR. For them not to even have a shot at the championship after that would be ludicrous, conference or not. I know you don't like the fact that they're not in a conference, I don't either, but if they didn't get a chance to make it to play for the national championship after that schedule, it's just plain wrong. But, once again, they'd win the AP vote, so one way or another they'd be the champs.

Now, if they scheduled the patsies like they normally do, and then somehow made the title game then, I'd be pissed. But not if they actually got serious.

But Notre Dame didn't win their conference. If they don't win their conference, they shouldn't be playing for a national title.

So Miami's national titles in the 1980s are illegitimate, just like Penn State's in 1982 and 1986?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Well, they're not IN a conference, but obviously if they went undefeated with that schedule, they're the best team in the nation BY FAR. For them not to even have a shot at the championship after that would be ludicrous, conference or not. I know you don't like the fact that they're not in a conference, I don't either, but if they didn't get a chance to make it to play for the national championship after that schedule, it's just plain wrong. But, once again, they'd win the AP vote, so one way or another they'd be the champs.

Now, if they scheduled the patsies like they normally do, and then somehow made the title game then, I'd be pissed. But not if they actually got serious.

Again, if Notre Dame could do that schedule, with that team... they'd still only go .500 as a member of the SEC, as they'd get their arses handed to them week-in and week-out.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well duh, that's the SEC. If anybody goes undefeated in that conference, they should be national champions (or at least play for it in 2004, which is why I'm still mad that Auburn did not even get a chance to play for it. 13-0, and no chance. Ridiculous.)

But, coming to think of it now...if what you're proposing is what it takes for Notre Dame to join a conference...then I'd be down with that. :D

Here is what I would do for Illinois:

Week 1- Open up the season against Missouri in St. Louis. This would bring the rivalry over from basketball and it would be played in St. Louis, just like the basketball games.

Week 2- Northern Illinois would come to Champaign. This would be a competitive game between two Illinois schools. Illinois would never do this, because they wouldn't want to risk getting beat by Northern.

Week 3- @ Notre Dame. Just to show the Irish who is has the best footblal in the Midwest.

Week 4- UCLA. A two year home and home series with the Bruins. Illinois usually plays a home and home with a Pac-10 school, and UCLA would be a good matchup for Illinois.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Well, here's what I would do if I was the A.D. at Washington.

1st Game: vs. Idaho (It's an easy win at home against a bottom feeder in the WAC)

2nd Game: at Nevada (Again with the WAC schools, but this is a much harder team that's offensively savvy. Perfect tune up for Pac 10 play)

3rd Game: at Michigan (Nothing got my blood going more then seeing my Huskies beat those stinky old Wolverines in the Rose Bowl. This would be a 2 year deal with the Huskies heading to Ann Arbor in '07 and they come to Seattle in '08)

4th week: BYE

4th Game-12th Game: Pac-10 Season.

Now, for Iowa State

1st Game: vs. Northern Iowa (A good in state rivalry that has seen UNI come close to beating the 'Clones)

2nd Game: at Central Michigan (Going on the road at a good MAC team would be a great step for ISU)

3rd Game: vs. Iowa/at Iowa (Have to keep the rivalry going in-state, you know)

4th Game: at Cincinnati (Mid level Big 12 against a mid level Big East team.)

5th Game-12th Game: Big 12 Season.

For my beloved Green Wave, I would do one thing and one thing only.....

Correct a mistake made in 1966 by Dr. Rix Yard (the A.D. at the time).....

Get the HELL out of C-USA and get into a BETTER conference.....if other private schools can do it, so can we. Plain and simple.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

As a fan of Notre Dame, I would attempt to schedule the following schedule, in an attempt to crack the BCS.

at Ohio State (#10)

at Michigan (#5)

at Oklahoma (#8)

at Texas (#4)

at Florida (#3)

at Florida State (#21)

at Louisiana State (#2)

at West Virginia (#6)

at Virginia Tech (#9)

at California (#12)

at Louisville (#11)

at USC (#1)

So you're saying that a currently-unranked team should play 12 road games at ranked opponents, and still wouldn't deserve to have a shot at the NC if they go undefeated?

It's this exact reason why you have no credibillity when it comes to college football, in my opinion.

So you're saying that a currently-unranked team should play 12 road games at ranked opponents, and still wouldn't deserve to have a shot at the NC if they go undefeated?

It's this exact reason why you have no credibillity when it comes to college football, in my opinion according to anyone and anything with moderate mental facilities.

Fixed that for you.

Nebraska:

Ohio University (they get nice paycheck, Solich's incompetence is further demonstrated, everyone wins).

Kentucky ("tune up/morale booster")

Indiana (Well, I want to see Nebraska play on tv at DePauw...)

@ California (so the media can shut up about "cupcakes")

My goals are to get Nebraska through the nonconference slate unbeaten and build confidence for the Big XII. No stupid games against USC over here... :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived