Mutant Boardwear

GFB

Well, I wanted to try something new outside of sports identity. So here is my first try at a new style. This is for a boardwear company called Mutant. Here is what I have come up with so far....

mutant.jpg

mutant_tee.png

Logo Sheet

mutant_sheet.png

Mark still in development

mutant_mark.png

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

GFB

Sorry if this is a n00b question but what is boardwear? Like a skater shirt?

Pretty much. Snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing and the likes. Think of companies like Hurley or Quicksilver.

i'm not really sold on the type yet, but the colors and the sripes and the M seem to be working.

I like the white M with the green eyes the best.

nice job in a new area.

Well after thinking it over, I have decided to try something a little different than the first two. Tell me what you think...

mutant3.png

It has a new wordmark. I think I will keep the first wordmark for things like t-shirts and stuff like that. But I am really digging this new wordmark...

C&C

GFB

Well after thinking it over, I have decided to try something a little different than the first two. Tell me what you think...

mutant3.png

It has a new wordmark. I think I will keep the first wordmark for things like t-shirts and stuff like that. But I am really digging this new wordmark...

C&C

GFB

That reminds me to much of the No Fear eyes

stic_no-fear-eyes_s2.gif

logo.png

mutant3.png

C&C

GFB

stic_no-fear-eyes_s2.gif

It's hard to make out, but I see this guy:

wisechips.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

While I also think this has the most potential as a branding system, there is something about the letterforms that just isn't all that attractive. Letterform design is not for the faint of heart; in fact, it is easily one of the finest of all the visual arts if you ask me, and these letterforms (i'm not sure if it was you who designed them or if they are based on an existing font) just need a bit of fine tuning before they're really great looking letters.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

While I also think this has the most potential as a branding system, there is something about the letterforms that just isn't all that attractive. Letterform design is not for the faint of heart; in fact, it is easily one of the finest of all the visual arts if you ask me, and these letterforms (i'm not sure if it was you who designed them or if they are based on an existing font) just need a bit of fine tuning before they're really great looking letters.

What kind of changes do you think should be made? I'm kinda stumped on what I can do to make it look better...

(Oh, and which typeface are you talking about? The first or second?)

mutant3.png

C&C

GFB

stic_no-fear-eyes_s2.gif

It's hard to make out, but I see this guy:

wisechips.gif

hahahaha

This post has been edited by zer0dotcom on some time in the future

FBI_Bar.jpg

women_lover.gif

Oh, sorry. The one that joel quoted and the one you modified there is the one I was talking about. Well, basically, here's one rule of type design that's being broken and is probably a big part of the reason they just don't look that awesome: Say you have a letter with a rounded top or bottom, like your t or u. If you line up the bottom edge of the curve with the bottom edge of a leg, for example, the way you have the curved bottoms of the u and t lined up at the same level as the m, the u and t then look like they are floating slightly above the baseline on which the m is sitting. To combat this, you need to sit your curved bottoms slightly below the baseline, and your curved tops slightly above the x-height so the brain thinks it's all on the same level. If you line it up all on the same baseline, the u and t look high, and the m and n look low, for example, because those curves are right on the line instead of above or below it. It's just an idiosyncracy in human visual perception that must be accounted for in every type design. Start there and we'll see how they look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Oh, sorry. The one that joel quoted and the one you modified there is the one I was talking about. Well, basically, here's one rule of type design that's being broken and is probably a big part of the reason they just don't look that awesome: Say you have a letter with a rounded top or bottom, like your t or u. If you line up the bottom edge of the curve with the bottom edge of a leg, for example, the way you have the curved bottoms of the u and t lined up at the same level as the m, the u and t then look like they are floating slightly above the baseline on which the m is sitting. To combat this, you need to sit your curved bottoms slightly below the baseline, and your curved tops slightly above the x-height so the brain thinks it's all on the same level. If you line it up all on the same baseline, the u and t look high, and the m and n look low, for example, because those curves are right on the line instead of above or below it. It's just an idiosyncracy in human visual perception that must be accounted for in every type design. Start there and we'll see how they look.

I took all the rounded edges down or up 2 points. Tell me if this makes a difference.

mutant1.3.png

Archived