Boston Celtics

MattMilone

The following is a Celtics concept. While some would say one shouldn't touch the Celtics tradition, I say "eh, why not." I tried updating them to seem like they're from this century, but without losing traditional style of the organization. It's a comprimise, I think. And maybe it's good, I hope. But C&C is great, and I'll keep working with this to try and nail it. The black ALT would serve as a memorial jersey for Red (thus the patch). As far as adding a color, gold has been in the logo for the longest time (since the mid-90's?) so why not put it to use? Anyways, here we go, the new Celtics jersey concept . . .

NBA_BostonCeltics.jpg

Gonna say "no" to these.

1. City name on the home jersey? Why? Everyone in Boston would know who the team wearing white is from Boston.

2. An alternate Celts uniform without a single green thread anywhere to be found. Again... why?

3. A black shamrock? A third time... why?

4. A serifed font like Bookman for the wordmark seems out of place. If you don't want to use the font in the logo, or the traditional vertical arched sans serif font, so be it. But Bookman (or whatever you used) looks out of place, especially with a Varsity Block number font. It looks more like a company's basketball team for some rec league, and not something a pro team would wear.

I don't see any of the Celtics' traditional style - or tradition at all, for that matter. The emphasis seems to be on gold more than on green. Other than green in 2 of the 3 uniforms, and the name of the team, there isn't much carryover at all.

After making some rather silly mistakes (rushing something is a bad idea) I've gone back and seen what I can do to improve.

1) Yes, the gold was far more dominant than the green, so I changed that.

2) The font sucked. I agree. I'm sorry. I went to a block font, which I think is better.

3) The original black jersey had zero green (I thought I could clever, thus, I am not). Changed that.

4) I also posted a green/black version of the concept, to see if the gold is pulling it down.

C&C, and thanks agains.

NBA_BostonCeltics-1.jpg

NBA_BostonCeltics2.jpg

The green and gold are definately better. Don't need another team with unnecessary black. Green and Gold make since for an Celtic named team. While I prefer keeping them the traditional way they are, except adding some gold, I think this is a simple yet modern way to go. The wordmark (block not bookman) and numerals are basic yet old-style traditional that really looks effective with the slightly modern side-stripes. I give the overall concept a B- (due to tradition factors, not your work), but give your effort and execution an A. Also an A for your ability to improve from your initial concept, which, honestly, was kinda lacking and looked rushed. Good work.

Gotta say no to these, the entire thing. The typeface doesn't work, the introduction of gold into the uniforms, the logo at the collar thats used by an umteenth number of teams....not gonna fly. Try again.

Nice revision. Much better than your first stab at these. Sacrilege though it may be to some, these wouldn't be the end of the world if the Cs adopted these at some point. Gold>black, although you could probably incorporate both in modest amounts and not ruin the overall look. Good work!

Call me a traditionalist but I honestly dont see these...I will never agree to the Celtics use of black under any circumstances..the gold trim I can handle but dont see necessary...Im not an advocate of "boring" uniforms which the Celtics (and penn state and NY Yankees) could fall under but in the Celtics case there is something to be said about tradition.

Nice job but I just dont see it

Call me a traditionalist but I honestly dont see these...I will never agree to the Celtics use of black under any circumstances..the gold trim I can handle but dont see necessary...Im not an advocate of "boring" uniforms which the Celtics (and penn state and NY Yankees) could fall under but in the Celtics case there is something to be said about tradition.

Good thing they didn't wait for your approval, since they've had black trim in their alternates for a little while now. Bet those would have been contentious negotiations, eh? :rolleyes:

Good thing they didn't wait for your approval, since they've had black trim in their alternates for a little while now. Bet those would have been contentious negotiations, eh? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness...does BLACK make any sense for the Celtics?

Isn't this the concepts board? It's all about creativity. It's not like teams are here culling new uniform ideas. I don't give a damn what colors you use or don't use or whatever as long as it's done well and isn't a recolor or isn't just a ripoff.

To borrow VD's point, no one needs to seek our approval to create their concepts. Don't stiffle someone's creativity just because it's not what you think fits your mold.

Archived