Prediction Game - NHL

Shane Does Art

I'm not going to get too in-depth, but I'll make this bold prediction: The Florida Panthers will make the playoffs this year.

People are forgetting that the Panthers added Vokoun this offseason, and goaltending was Florida's glaring weakness last season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ducks will repeat this year... I know repeats are rare nowadays with the salary cap and all, but they have very few weaknesses on that team. Even if Selanne or Niedermayer leave, Burke (god I hate him so much) is gonna find some way to replace them. They have 2 strong goalies, and even if Bryzgalov leaves, Burkie will pull a goalie out of his butt somehow. They still have Pronger and added Schneider. Beauchemin is quickly becoming a hell of adefenseman. Young physical forwards up front that just buzz in front of the other team's net. Bertuzzi is gonna fit right in folks, although I have to admit, he's not what he used to be.

Maybe the Sens will somehow come out of the East again, but it might be the start of Pittsburgh's future glory.

I'm gonna say, we will have the same teams in the finals as last year and that hasn't happened in a while.

I hope the outcome will be different this time though.

thecatch.jpg

9 - Nashville Preds

10 - Chicago Blackhawks

11 - St. Louis Blues

15 - Coloumbus Bluejackets

9. St. Louis Blues

10. Nashville Predators

11. Columbus Blue Jackets

12. Chicago Blackhawks

I'll just point out that it's d@mn hard to have only one team in a division make the playoffs when your team plays 32 games against divisional opponents.

Also, to back up STL, the Blues were playing much better under Murray last year, and they also have made several key upgrades. Couple that with the Nashville fire sale, and I think they should be in as a 6 or 7 seed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not one to make predictions, but the thought that Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Sean O'Donnell, Francois Beauchemin and Mathieu Schneider could be the top 5 of 6 defencemen makes me grin sheepishly.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

While it may be too early to fully predict where every team stands, I have to agree with the sentiment that the Ducks may be the team to beat again this year. The East is a different matter entirely, and I think it comes down to Ottawa, the Rangers, and New Jersey. I think Pittsburgh is still a couple of years away and Buffalo's window has probably closed.

Gun to my head, Ducks over Devils in 6 or 7.

No Standings predictions, but I will give you this..........

-Philly, Toronto, and Boston still miss playoffs

-Rangers don't win or get second in Atlantic. (PIT & NJ)

-Buffalo won't be as bad as you think. (4-6 seed)

-No Conference Finals for Ottawa, bums out in second round.

-Sharks & Pens make the Finals (Sharks in 6)

-Edmonton misses playoffs, and Ducks get a top 10 pick.

saBS.png

About the Blues: I don't give a lot of credence to their boost after the coaching change. Typically, that happens to many teams that make a change, and I'm dubious that that momentum means anything a season later. Many Legace doesn't do anything for me as a starting netminder on a team like the Blues either.

Philly is going to be very interesting to watch. Making dramatic changes and adding talented players like they did doesn't always end up working out well, at all. We've seen lots of occasions of teams adding big free agents going nowhere fast. I imagine a lot is going to hang on how well Biron handles full time starting duties.

So, any bets on where (if anywhere) Forsberg signs? A mid-late season signing with a team with a chance of winning seems likely to me. I wonder how he'd work on wing with Sedin Twins.

Therefore, I'll join the parade:

EASTERN

1- NY Rangers

2- Pittsburgh

3- NJ Devils

4- Ottawa

5- NY Islanders

6- Philadelphia

7- Buffalo

8- Carolina

9- Atlanta

10- Montreal

11-Toronto

12- Washington

13- Tampa Bay

14- Boston

15- Florida

Just to point out that this couldn't happen since division leaders are seeded 1-2-3, thus Ottawa would have to be 2nd and Carolina 3rd.

About the Blues: I don't give a lot of credence to their boost after the coaching change. Typically, that happens to many teams that make a change, and I'm dubious that that momentum means anything a season later. Many Legace doesn't do anything for me as a starting netminder on a team like the Blues either.

The typical coaching change boost lasts 10-20 games, not 45-50. At some point it becomes more of the norm than short term momentum. Still, I don't blame you for your skepticism on that or Legace.

Just don't be too surprised to, uh, be surprised.

Therefore, I'll join the parade:

EASTERN

1- NY Rangers

2- Pittsburgh

3- NJ Devils

4- Ottawa

5- NY Islanders

6- Philadelphia

7- Buffalo

8- Carolina

9- Atlanta

10- Montreal

11-Toronto

12- Washington

13- Tampa Bay

14- Boston

15- Florida

You have all 5 teams from the Atlantic in it :blink: , has that ever happened before?

saBS.png

Here it goes... I bet you everyone will be way off.

EASTERN

1-Pittsburgh*

2-Ottawa*

3-Washington*

4-NY Rangers

5-Buffalo

6-New Jersey

7-Tampa Bay

8-Philadelphia

------------------------

9-Montreal

10-Atlanta

11-NY Islanders

12-Carolina

13-Boston

14-Florida

15-Toronto

WESTERN

1-Detroit*

2-Anaheim*

3-Vancouver*

4-San Jose

5-Dallas

6-Colorado

7-Calgary

8-Chicago

-------------------------

9-Minnesota

10-St.Louis

11-Los Angeles

12-Edmonton

13-Nashville

14-Columbus

15-Phoenix

*=division leader

Those are my picks & I did pick Anaheim to go all the way last year. The Ducks are my pick again this year.

Against who? I don't know, the Eastern is too tough.

Remember, there is always one darkhorse team, but who will it be?

Chicago & Washington are going to cause major upsets this year as long as they can keep a healthy roster.

And Phoenix finishes in last place

Goodnight.

thecatch.jpg

8-Chicago

That's what I like to see. I actually think the Blackhawks have a shot at making it in, too. If Havlat stays healthy and they can get some solid contributions from the young players they can make the playoffs.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not gonna go through each division, but here are some thoughts I have about the upcoming year:

- The Red Wings will once again compete for the presidents trophy, and fail in the playoffs

- The Kings are my sleeper pick. LaBarbera is a great goalie...hopefully he's up to the task of relieving Cloutier.

- The Rangers will win the East, and I say, the Stanley Cup.

- The Ducks will win the West, much to my displeasure

- The Flyers will be close to the playoffs, if not sneaking in a 7 or 8 seed...again, much to my displeasure. I'd rather them stay in the cellar.

- The Habs will make playoffs.

I love how no one is picking the Leafs to make it when they obviously will...

Eh, I am not going to get my hopes up. A 34 year old 2 season wonder and a career back-up do not really spell playoff success to me. We'd be lucky to get 7th place... I'm sorry but I'm a REALISTIC Leafs fan. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Here is my shot in the dark standings.

EAST

1. NY Rangers

2. Buffalo

3. Florida (no, I don't think they will have the third best record but they will win their division)

4. Pittsburgh

5. Ottawa

6. New Jersey

7. Atlanta

8. Toronto

---------------------

9. Tampa Bay

10. NY Islanders

11. Montreal

12. Carolina

13. Washington

14. Boston

15. Philadelphia

WEST

1. Anaheim

2. Detroit

3. Vancouver

4. San Jose

5. Dallas

6. Minnesota

7. Colorado

8. Nashville

-------------------

9. Calgary

10. St Louis

11. Columbus

12. Chicago

13. Edmonton

14. Los Angeles

15. Phoenix

Stanley Cup Champs: Rangers over Detroit

No, I know the Leafs wont win it or go but theyll be 6th-8th in the East.

You're so sure...the Leafs didn't make much changes in the offseason. If they get Scotty Bowman, that's a different story.

No, I know the Leafs wont win it or go but theyll be 6th-8th in the East.

You're so sure...the Leafs didn't make much changes in the offseason. If they get Scotty Bowman, that's a different story.

Just because you change the front office does not mean the on ice product will instantly gain super powers and become highly competitive. He was a coach and I don't think he'd have much say over who gets traded, signed, etc. So if we do in fact get Scotty Bowman as team president doesn't mean a thing at the moment.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived