Ankiel's Back!

pcgd

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leave it to the jealous bastards in New York to ruin a great baseball story. :mad:

If what's being written is true that Ankiel's been clean since 2005, then there's nothing to see here. Unless there's evidence that comes out to the contrary, then that's how I'm leaving this.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

He hit another one today!

Two in fact.* :blink:

*-He's on the juice! :P

DING DING DING DING

Correct

Rick Ankiel received 12-month supply of HGH

Arrrrrgh!

How long does HGH stay in the system anyway?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel, who punctuated a storybook comeback from pitching travails by homering twice with 7 RBIs Thursday, joined the list of athletes linked to a Florida-based steroids investigation.

The New York Daily News reported Friday that Ankiel received a 12-month supply of human growth hormone in 2004 from a Florida pharmacy that was part of a national illegal prescription drug-distribution operation, citing records its reporters saw. That Orlando outfit, Signature Pharmacy, has been implicated in a steroids investigation run by Albany County (N.Y.) District Attorney P. David Soares, which has resulted in 22 indictments and several Florida clinic raids.

Ankiel's HGH prescriptions, including Saizen and Genotropin, were signed by Florida physician William Gogan, who provided them through a Palm Beach Gardens clinic called The Health and Rejuvenation Center, or THARC, the newspaper reported.

The drugs were shipped to the 28-year-old Ankiel at the clinic's address, the paper said. The pitcher-turned-outfielder lives close by in Jupiter.

THARC also dispatched a shipment of steroids and HGH to former major-league pitcher Steve Woodard , according to The Daily News. Woodard, who pitched for four teams in a four-year career that ended in 2003, and Ankiel were teammates with the Triple-A Memphis Redbirds in 2004.

Woodard didn't return cell phone messages, The News said.

Ankiel has not been accused by authorities of wrongdoing, and stopped receiving HGH just before Major League Baseball officially banned it in 2005, The News reported.

MLB does not test for HGH, but a player who is known to have used it or even possessed it from the time it was banned can face a 50-game suspension.

Ankiel's agent, Scott Boras, would not comment.

Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty said: "This is the first I've heard of this. If it's true, obviously it would be very tragic, along with everything else we've had happen to us this year."

MLB officials also declined comment, saying they would "look into" the allegations, but weren't sure whether any action could be taken.

Also linked to the Signature Pharmacy probe, in various reports, are at least 14 professional wrestlers, New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison (who was suspended four games by the NFL) and Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Wilson (suspended five games).

Daily News sources said more athletes' names are expected to emerge from THARC.

On Thursday, Ankiel homered twice and had a career-high seven RBIs, leading the Cardinals over the Pittsburgh Pirates 16-4 in a rain-shortened game.

Brought up Aug. 9 in his first major league appearance since he pitched for the Cardinals in 2004, Ankiel is batting .358 with nine homers and 29 RBIs in 23 games. He also homered twice against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Aug. 11.

He hit 32 home runs in Triple-A this season before the Cardinals summoned him. St. Louis (69-68) is 17-9 since, closing within one game of NL Central co-leaders Chicago and Milwaukee.

The hard-throwing lefty won 11 games and struck out 194 in 175 innings as a 20-year-old rookie pitcher in 2000 and was a surprise pick to start the Cardinals' postseason opener that season against Atlanta. But he became the first major-league pitcher to throw five wild pitches in one inning since 1890.

Ankiel threw nine wild pitches in four innings during the 2000 playoffs and was never really the same after that. He showed some promise at the plate in 2000, batting .250 with two home runs.

Signature is at the center of an investigation by the Albany district attorney's office. Authorities there have been looking into an Internet ring involving performance-enhancing drugs and allegedly involving athletes from several sports.

The third NFL person involved in the investigation was Dr. Richard Ryzde, one of the Pittsburgh Steelers' team doctors. He had earlier been fired by the team.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

This is why I need to stop following sports so passionately. This and other stories like this literally make me sick to my stomach.

No good can possibly come from this if you are a fan of the Cardinals, Ankiel, Baseball or if you are Ankiel, the Cardinals or MLB.

With the two basic realities (He did it, He didn't) There are a few possible outcomes here.

If he did what they say:

He took a drug that at the time he took it with a prescription was perfectly legal in the eyes of the government and the eyes of baseball. He can say "I took the drug under advice from my doctor. I was having arm troubles (He was still a pitcher at this point) and it was recommended that this could help me get back in the game...I'm sorry...yadda yadda yadda" Dispite the fact this is true, his image will be tainted for quite some time. He'll continue to play, but he'll be like Jose Mesa, Nefie Perez, etc. Guys that always will have the suspension or allegation of drug use attached to their name. It will be justified that the allegation is attached to his name, however a suspension should not come down.

If he did not do what they say:

His name will forever be attached to the steroid/HGH allegations.

Either way, his story will never be the same. Either he's let down a bunch of fans, or the media has let him down.

For whatever reason, if I take the story at face value, I don't become less of a Rick Ankiel fan. If he took HGH, it was before it was banned, when he was a young desperate pitcher with arm and mental problems. He took it with a prescription and stopped using it before it was banned.

My worry is with what other people will think of my favorite team. Its a stupid fear I know, but its there and I don't like it. They've taken enough (justified) hits this season with substance abuse issues. From Hancock's DUI, LaRussa's DUI, Spezio's rehab and the ever present linger of Big Mac. I know these are all isolated instances and in reality are no indication of what kind of organization the team I love is, but still everyone makes judgments based on the headlines. (Yes, you could make an argument it is how the organization is run, but its not like they are giving out drugs and alcohol to every draft pick or free agent. Its on the players themselves, most of the Cardinals that have been accused or have used are character guys so the team doesn't take on bad guys...I digress...) The only ones that look into it further are the fans of the team and its homerism to an extent.

Anyway, like I said, even if he's totally made up, no good will come from this story. Its tainted now and I'm feeling much worse this morning than when I went to bed last night.

He hit another one today!

Two in fact.* :blink:

*-He's on the juice! :P

DING DING DING DING

Correct

Rick Ankiel received 12-month supply of HGH

Arrrrrgh!

How long does HGH stay in the system anyway?

Yes, I'm quoting myself.....

I've taken a little more time to think. Yes in spirit, to quote an earlier thread I made, he's a cheating scumbag, but in doing so he's probably no different than any of the other accused/guilty roiders. (Or probably Ortiz, Pujols, Thome, or any other slugger in baseball today who can afford undetectable designer 'roids.) If he stopped using before baseball banned it though, he's still not cheating by the word of the rules, so I'm not going to call for his immediate dismissal from the team.

And no, I don't think the Cardinals pass out substances to all their players. (You'd think they'd be able to land a high profile free agent if they did.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*Gets on soap box*

I'm really getting tired of the whole steroid witchhunt. If a player TESTS POSITIVE after rules banning the substances were enacted, fine, head to his house with torches and pitchforks. But, if all the sudden word leaks that substances were allegedly shipped to said player's house before they were even banned by the league, then quite frankly, I DON'T CARE! Barry Bonds may be a jackass, but until he tests positive, you can keep your asterisk. In the eyes of the feds, if they want to pursue an investigation for legal reasons, fine, but when a player uses a substance at a time that it wasn't banned, I don't see what the big backlash is all about.

VmWIn6B.png

This is why I need to stop following sports so passionately. This and other stories like this literally make me sick to my stomach.

No good can possibly come from this if you are a fan of the Cardinals, Ankiel, Baseball or if you are Ankiel, the Cardinals or MLB.

With the two basic realities (He did it, He didn't) There are a few possible outcomes here.

If he did what they say:

He took a drug that at the time he took it with a prescription was perfectly legal in the eyes of the government and the eyes of baseball.

Do we know this to be true? Th equestion isn't when Major League Baseball banned HGH it is when it was banned in the Minor Leagues where Ankiel was playing. If it was banned proir to when it was banned in the Majors (Which could very well be the case considering the Minors historically have had tougher drug policies) then he is a cheater even in the more strict definition.

As for the Natural comparisons he was getting he now is more like novel version of Roy Hobbs in the literary tragic sense.

If he did what they say:

He took a drug that at the time he took it with a prescription was perfectly legal in the eyes of the government and the eyes of baseball.

Do we know this to be true? Th equestion isn't when Major League Baseball banned HGH it is when it was banned in the Minor Leagues where Ankiel was playing. If it was banned proir to when it was banned in the Majors (Which could very well be the case considering the Minors historically have had tougher drug policies) then he is a cheater even in the more strict definition.

As for the Natural comparisons he was getting he now is more like novel version of Roy Hobbs in the literary tragic sense.

Based on the info. right now (that he received it for a year in 2004) and being as there is no known usage afterwards, I'm treating this as a non-story until we find out otherwise. It is sad, however, that even if he did stop using it before '05, it will still somewhat sully a great story.

I'm gonna keep my response short as I am at work and have limited time (we're one win away from the Texas League Championship Series and I've been designing each 1st and 2nd Half shirts as well as playoff shirts, potential North Division Champs shirts and the potential official on-field Texas League Champs shirts.)

I got a sick feeling in my gut when I first saw this. However I'm not gonna rush to judge.Ifhe did use, which would disappoint me legal or not at the time, it was 3 years ago while he was still a struggling pitcher. But he has always been a great hitter, even while pitching. So you can't necessarily assume it is the reason for his surge this year.

Yes, there is now a cloud around him, but it's not quite storming just yet.

The one thing I'm trying to keep in mind is that he was recovering from one major injury and a few other smaller ones, and that it was legal at the time.

It seems in the legal sense he's fine. I'm trying to sort this our morally, now.

I tend to be on the side of doing anything you can legal to get an advantage is okay, and he probably wasn't so much looking for an advantage as he was just trying to get healed and get back to baseball.

I don't know.

If he stopped in 2004, this has next to nothing to do with what he's currently doing. It's just a damper on the story.

If he did what they say:

Based on the info. right now (that he received it for a year in 2004) and being as there is no known usage afterwards, I'm treating this as a non-story until we find out otherwise. It is sad, however, that even if he did stop using it before '05, it will still somewhat sully a great story.

I know he did it in '04 (at the very least) what I am asking is when was HGH banned in the Minor Leagues? Everyone is pointing when it was banned in the Major Leagues but that's not the issue since he was in the Minor Leagues at the time.

If MLB doesn't care about its players being on performance enhancing drugs (HGH is or isn't legal? I get confused), then I don't care either. I'm not sure how many actually clean guys are left playing, but really, are we even surprised anymore when someone tests positive? MLB needs to either test everyone and test them thoroughly, or give it up and just allow video game baseball.

I think we were all happier when we like Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro. Calling them dirty drug cheats is a downer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If MLB doesn't care about its players being on performance enhancing drugs (HGH is or isn't legal? I get confused), then I don't care either. I'm not sure how many actually clean guys are left playing, but really, are we even surprised anymore when someone tests positive? MLB needs to either test everyone and test them thoroughly, or give it up and just allow video game baseball.

I think we were all happier when we like Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro. Calling them dirty drug cheats is a downer.

Do you want to know the terrifying truth? Or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?

If he did what they say:

I know he did it in '04 (at the very least) what I am asking is when was HGH banned in the Minor Leagues? Everyone is pointing when it was banned in the Major Leagues but that's not the issue since he was in the Minor Leagues at the time.

You are absolutly right and I didn't think about that. However, I believe (could be very wrong) that he may have been on the 40-man roster at that time. When you are that aren't you a major leaguer no matter where you are playing? I'm not sure on that, or if he was even on the roster. I'm trying to remember when he got hurt.

From what I can tell, he returned to the Majors during the September callups in 04 as a pitcher. So therefore, he would have been using earlier that season. Wikipedia (I know, great source) says that PROFESSIONAL baseball did not have restrictions on HGH until 2005. Ankiel's order was through December of 2004. It specifically says Professional, which I would think includes the minors.

Like I think has been said, if a doctor prescribed it in december of 03 during his rehab to help with tommy john surgery, and at the time it was a perfectly legal substance, I've got to think this is a complete non-issue. If we start hearing other allegations about his continued use, then that's a different story. But right now its the 12 month period when he was rehabbing and was a legal substance with a perscription.

That situation would be similar to the NFL banning a prescription drug next season and then attacking players that took that drug this year that discontinued its use when it was made illegal.

The main thing, if the above is true, Ankiel needs to come out and say that NOW, before the game today. He'll get booed and heckled for a few weeks but opposing fans, but so what? He needs to clean himself of this situation as soon as possible if he is clean of the situation. And to me (Red Tinted Sunglasses) it seems reasonable that is what happened.

Just a funny aside, Ankiel's name comes up on spell check as "Junkie's."

(HGH is or isn't legal? I get confused)

It's illegal in the US period unless prescribed by a doctor. There's limited reasons why a doctor can prescribe it, but I don't know whether responsibility for that falls on the doctor or the patient or both.

It's illegal in baseball as of 2005. However, they don't test for it, so it's not all that effective of a ban. The reason they don't test is that the only reliable test for it right now is a blood test, and the Union won't approve a blood test.

That's as much as I know.

Where's the High-n-Mighty Brigade on this one? Shetland ponies in the shop?

[edit] For the record, I couldn't care either way, but considering how some folks around here want people accused of looking at performance enhancing drugs to be drawn and quartered, I'd fully expect a response.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived