St. Louis Soccer United

tomhunter8

I don't know the name of that statue, but the old St. Louis Browns used it on one of their first logos.

...... As for a name, why not the Saint Louis Saints?

This post (and the dsgitlin/goldenbrett sharing of pertinent info) gets me reminiscing of the fear I had back in the mid-1990s before the Rams moved to St. Louis, and they had not been awarded one of the two expansion franchises but already had their domed stadium under construction. I was really worried that somehow Tom Benson would move the New Orleans Saints to St. Louis (or sell them to an ownership group there). The alliterative ring to "St. Louis Saints", plus the fact that they didn't need to change names or even logos was a bit scary back then.....

Thank you, Georgia Frontiere......

It is what it is.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What half-assed ripoff names has MLS not used yet? "Boca St. Louis"?

Hmmm?

The only problem with Boca is that 99.9 percent of the general public would not realize a connection to the Boca Juniors. They would think they are owned by veggie burgers.

Hmmm?

The only problem with Boca is that 99.9 percent of the general public would not realize a connection to the Boca Juniors. They would think they are owned by veggie burgers.

Exactly. I'm still wondering whether there is a Fake Salt Lake. Why else would they identify themselves as being "Real"? ;)

Hmmm?

Exactly. I'm still wondering whether there is a Fake Salt Lake. Why else would they identify themselves as being "Real"? ;)

How something more french like "Olympique St Louis"- comming from Olympique Marseille and Olympiquw Lyonnais" in the french league

Logo is really nice.....I just don't like the green. It just would look better without it, but I guess that must be a major part of the color scheme so it must have been a mandatory addition.

How about a switch to brown? I love the possible connection with the old St Louis Browns' (God rest their soul) logo.

Speaking of Minneapolis, what kinds of names to Scandinavian football clubs have that a Minnesota team could steal be inspired by?

Getting back to Scandinavia, there's a Norwegian club named "Start". Start Soccer Club of Minnesota?

There's also a Norwegian club named "Viking F.K." How about Minnesota steals that for the new Viking Minnesota. There's no chance of confusion with any other teams...

Perhaps that could be a good thing. Get both Juniors and the veggie burger company onboard, RBNY-style, with a foreign-inspired name, and you'd have the summation of the modern MLS.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

And Olympique St. Louis has a nice ring to it.

Especially if the St Louis part was pronounced as in French, /sɛ̃ lwi/ (or for the majority without IPA, Sahn Lwee)

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

And Olympique St. Louis has a nice ring to it.

Especially if the St Louis part was pronounced as in French, /s? lwi/ (or for the majority without IPA, Sahn Lwee)

Boo to both ideas!

I'd much rather ressurect one of the great indoor teams names than use a European styled name...especially one that would be a direct ripoff of someone else.

St. Louis Steamers

St. Louis Ambush

St. Louis Storm

St. Louis Stars

Any of those would be great.

But I could also deal with something simple like St. Louis SC. Better not have any FC though. Soccer has a strong history in St. Louis, and it's not Football here.

I'd kinda like to see St. Louis SC, but then with a "nickname" of Stars, Storm, or Steamers.

Of course, the Steamers still exist SOMEWHAT. They don't play right now. But the group hasn't completely folded yet I don't believe.

Jeff Copper (owner) confirmed that this is only the name of the organization trying to get a team in St. Louis. He said he hasn't even thought about a team name yet.

I just hope they can utilize this shield logo with the team name because it is fantastic.

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Don't like the name, St Louis United is much better

The only problem with that name is that it would probably be abbreviated something like SLU or SLUTD; no doubt you'd soon start seeing opposing fans nicknaming them "The Sluts".

Speaking of Minneapolis, what kinds of names to Scandinavian football clubs have that a Minnesota team could steal be inspired by?

Not Scandi-inspired, but I've always thought Polaris FC would be a sweet name for an MLS club in Minnesota. Their nickname could even be "The North Stars".

Other cool mythical soccer names (that'll never happen, at least not in MLS) that come to mind: Kentucky FC ("The Colonels") and FC Hawai'i ("The Hula Hoops").

And then Polaris could be sponsored by Sirius Satellite Radio and completely throw everything off.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Woa... very nice logo. I wonder if the name is for the "Project" only. The team could then adpot that logo, but use a new team name if the plan goes through....

From the site:

St. Louis Soccer United (SLSU) is a professional soccer investment and development group dedicated to bringing a Major League Soccer team and state-of-the-art stadium facility to the St. Louis area.

It's the name of the investment group, not the proposed name of the team. I'm a DC fan, but big deal if STL ultimately goes with United. It's not like England only has one team named United. They're legion over there.

Archived