2 NHL EDGE Concepts

jkrdevil

Here is my Vancouver Canucks edge concept. It's inspired by several things.

1. Colors are the vintage 70's colors and the proposed new colors.

2. The logo is inspired by the possible leak logo we saw although I added more green and took out the silver.

3. The stripes are inspired by the infamous V-uniform sleeve stripes as well as similar edge designs that have come out.

canucksedge.gif

Second is an LA Kings edge concept I did awhile ago but never posted.

lakingsconcept.gif

What do you thinks? Comments and criticism welcomed.

Love that Canucks uniform. Top notch, man.

It has V's, it has the orca, it has blue and green. What more can I say?

It's friggin' fantastic.

The Kings one is cool as f... I mean, it's really nice.

I love those stripes on the armpits. They are different from other, more boring concepts I see everyday. Gretzky wore the black jerseys and Marcel Dionne wore purple ones. So, in terms of historical value, both colours are relevant, which is why the mixture of these 2 coulours works so well.

Personally, I would have gone with black as the first colour and purple as the second. But I don't design jerseys, so take it for what it's worth.

thecatch.jpg

The Kings one is cool as f... I mean, it's really nice.

Gretzky wore the black jerseys and Marcel Dionne wore purple ones. So, in terms of historical value, both colours are relevant, which is why the mixture of these 2 coulours works so well.

Personally, I would have gone with black as the first colour and purple as the second. But I don't design jerseys, so take it for what it's worth.

Purple is a better choice than black for a handful of reasons.

1. Purple is the color of royalty, and has been since pre-Christian times.

2. Black is the color of a marketing focus group from 15 years ago.

3. Gretzky wore black because of #2, and to cash in on other LA institutions of the day, like N.W.A and the LA Raiders.

4. No one else in the NHL wears purple.

5. Far too many teams wear black, and have done so for far longer than the Kings (Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Penguins).

Big fan of the Kings' sweater, even though I still haven't warmed to that atrocious number font. That's about as unregal as you can get, all big and clunky.

The Canucks jersey needs to eliminate 2 elements IMO. The colors are fine (though I admit a preference for the black/gold/red that will always be "Canucks colors" to me, given that they wore those colors longer and had more success in them), but the wordmark and crest together makes everything look cluttered. Save the wordmark for college hockey. I'd dump the whale also, as it is a reminder of the all-too-overt marketing tie-in from a previous ownership group. But then again, you didn't compound the folly of blue/green by bringing back the rink/stick that everyone wets themselves over... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Both jerseys look excellent! Personally I agree with those who mentioned the colors in the Canucks jersey. Looks a little too light overall. The green at least. The Blue looks ok, but it's too lime in the green. I think it should be a little darker. The design of it I love. I have to say it's one of the few vertical concepts that I've really liked a lot.

The Kings jersey looks fantastic as well. It looks like a great blend of the modern style with the 90's black and white jerseys.

As for the Canucks colors I took them directly from Pantone's team color sheets he has on his website. They are the same as they were in the 70's. The colors may look a bit different because of the mix of programs that I used but they are all the same shade and are the same as the vintage.

Archived