The Road to Clarity

DG_ThenNowForever

I'm pretty sure I've read about this on this site before, but I figured several of you would appreciate this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/magazine...amp;oref=slogin

It's a discussion of what has gone into replacing Highway Gothic with Clearview on highway road signs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome article. Great find.

I wonder what the legibility difference is between Highway Gothic and Interstate. I wonder if there would be as much discrepancy between Interstate and Clearview.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Awesome article. Great find.

I wonder what the legibility difference is between Highway Gothic and Interstate. I wonder if there would be as much discrepancy between Interstate and Clearview.

Interstate is just the commercial equivalent of FHWA Highway Gothic. They are identical, except for the fact that Interstate includes many extra weights that Tobias Frere-Jones included when he created Interstate to mimic FHWA Highway Gothic. Interstate Bold is the weight used to mimic FHWA Highway Gothic E-Modified, which is the face found on highway signs.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Here is the picture that sums up what there doing.

Slide-10.jpg

Looks good to me.

I guess the new typeface also moves exits one mile closer. :blink:

Heh.

That was my reaction at first... but it looks like the first sign is at mile marker 64 while the other is at mile marker 65.

IUe6Hvh.png

Here is the picture that sums up what there doing.

Slide-10.jpg

Looks good to me.

I guess the new typeface also moves exits one mile closer. :blink:

Heh.

That was my reaction at first... but it looks like the first sign is at mile marker 64 while the other is at mile marker 65.

I sit corrected.

please tell me that PA SR412 is a freeway....

(I just want clarification that California is not the only state which has non-interstate freeways)

also, can anyone identify what is wrong with this picture?

us-050_error_interstate_04.jpg

Easy, there is no Interstate 50.

(I just want clarification that California is not the only state which has non-interstate freeways)

Actually, this was taken on I-78, as you can probably make out (or not, as the case may be). But yes, there at least two that I can think of -- US Route 1 between Philadelphia and... say... Princeton, and PA 309, which goes from the suburbs into the Poconos.

I'm always entertained by the interstate highways in Hawaii.

must be a hell of a commute from honolulu to los angeles. guess they gotta get the bridge built first.....

Y'know, it's funny... everyone complains about the fact that Hawai'i has interstates, but they completely forget that the lower 48 has "one-state" interstates too...

I-4 (Florida)

I-16 (Georgia)

I-17 and I-19 (Arizona)

I-26 (South Carolina)

I-49 (Louisiana)

I-65 (Alabama)

I-66 (Virginia)

I-73/74 (North Carolina)

I-86 and I-88 (New York)

I-97 (Maryland)

I-99 (Pennsylvania)

...not to mention the spurs thereof (I-495, etc.) that are also dubbed "Interstates".

philly.png

Actually, this was taken on I-78, as you can probably make out (or not, as the case may be). But yes, there at least two that I can think of -- US Route 1 between Philadelphia and... say... Princeton, and PA 309, which goes from the suburbs into the Poconos.

must be a hell of a commute from honolulu to los angeles. guess they gotta get the bridge built first.....

Y'know, it's funny... everyone complains about the fact that Hawai'i has interstates, but they completely forget that the lower 48 has "one-state" interstates too...

I-4 (Florida)

I-16 (Georgia)

I-17 and I-19 (Arizona)

I-26 (South Carolina)

I-49 (Louisiana)

I-65 (Alabama)

I-66 (Virginia)

I-73/74 (North Carolina)

I-86 and I-88 (New York)

I-97 (Maryland)

I-99 (Pennsylvania)

...not to mention the spurs thereof (I-495, etc.) that are also dubbed "Interstates".

I-26 actually goes into North Carolina & Tennessee as well, so it is a true Interstate. It runs from Charleston, SC through Asheville, NC to just north of Johnson City, TN.

Charleston, SC to Johnson City, TN

the main freeway that goes through my hometown isn't an interstate, but a state route, CA 4

the picture I posted above is actually US 50, which is a freeway, somewhere between Sacramento and Placerville. Im assuming that CalTrans probably ran out of white US shield markers and had to make due with an Interstate shield. In fact, I noticed one time on my way home from Lake Tahoe on westbound US 50 (in the sierras before it becomes freeway in Placerville) that at one point the highway was marked with a green California state route marker with 50 on it.

California is an odd bird as far as highways and roads go. I can think of at least six state routes (1, 4, 24, 84, 92, 99) and two US routes (50, 101) that are freeways. We don't have mileage markers on any of the freeways, and we just started getting numbered exits maybe four years ago (Im still not used to it). Also, the US routes here still utilize cutout shields with a black outline and a US above the number on them rather than the shield without an outline on a black background utilized in other states.

Then there is Barstow in SoCal. Talk about a hole. Its where the I-15 junctions with the I-40 aka the interstate that killed US route 66 :D

I-4 (Florida)

I-16 (Georgia)

I-17 and I-19 (Arizona)

I-26 (South Carolina)

I-49 (Louisiana)

I-65 (Alabama)

I-66 (Virginia)

I-73/74 (North Carolina)

I-86 and I-88 (New York)

I-97 (Maryland)

I-99 (Pennsylvania)

I-49 in its current form is only part of the I-49 project that will provide a direct connection between Kansas City and New Orleans.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I-4 (Florida)

I-16 (Georgia)

I-17 and I-19 (Arizona)

I-26 (South Carolina)

I-49 (Louisiana)

I-65 (Alabama)

I-66 (Virginia)

I-73/74 (North Carolina)

I-86 and I-88 (New York)

I-97 (Maryland)

I-99 (Pennsylvania)

I-26 actually goes into North Carolina & Tennessee as well, so it is a true Interstate. It runs from Charleston, SC through Asheville, NC to just north of Johnson City, TN.

Charleston, SC to Johnson City, TN

And I-65 actually runs from Mobile, Alabama to Gary, Indiana. Through Tennessee and Kentucky.

Archived