Chargers new unis

In 5..4..3..2..1

Those two Hadl pics are from different years. I believe the stripe became part of the uniform in 1972, Hadl's last year as a Charger.

It's very likely that it's different years because of the difference in his facemask. But the pants have stripes in both pics. My point anyway wasn't when the pics were taken but that there's inconsistency in wearing the "backwards" and "forwards" bolts at different times. A previous poster implied that all bolts before 1973 were "backwards" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know if this has been discussed already. But i think its kinda funny that in the new lt nike commercial, You see some of the chargers with reversed bolts and others with there old bolt. Also lt had 2 different uni tops. :blink:LT2.jpgLT1.jpg

That's a great shot to show all who don't "get it" how the new bolt is upside down. Thanks, perfect.

Those two Hadl pics are from different years. I believe the stripe became part of the uniform in 1972, Hadl's last year as a Charger.

It's very likely that it's different years because of the difference in his facemask. But the pants have stripes in both pics. My point anyway wasn't when the pics were taken but that there's inconsistency in wearing the "backwards" and "forwards" bolts at different times. A previous poster implied that all bolts before 1973 were "backwards" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The first Hadl pic is actually a long, thin, blue lightning bolt on the pants. Similar to Alworth below:

alworth03pf-1.jpg

I like the new unis, but I think that the bolts on the pants need to be more consistent with the shoulder bolts. The road jerseys would look great with the home pants. The photoshopped home pants without the blue, matching the home shoulder, look excellent too.

Someone actually sent an e-mail to the Chargers beat writer for the San Diego Union Tribune asking about an "urban legend" that the bolts on the shoulder was put on "upside down" by "accident" and the Chargers organization missed this and the NFL approved the uniform with the upside down bolt. The beat writer asked AG Spanos (grandson of owner Alex Spanos and the person responsible for the new design) and he stated that the Bolt is that way on purpose. He too (AG Spanos) was not too keen on the "upside down"bolt, but he came around to Reebok's way of thinking (apparantly, this is their idea) because the bolt on the shoulder "mirrors" the bolt on the helmet and the points of the bolt supposedly make the players' shoulders look broader. FWIW, this is what I read on the boards and you can access the whole thing here: http://www.chargerfans.net/board/index.cgi?read=116982

That is the dumbest reasoning ever.

I gotta say there is something not right with the roads.

The blue pants are awful. The bolt does look better on those because of the white background. The bolts on the shoulders need a white outline. I wonder what yellow pants would look like on the road? I think the white pants would look good with the white jerseys.

They look better on the field than originally pictured, but I'm still not sold. The arched bolt on the sleeves looked better than the straighter version, and I think they need to choose between the powder blue and navy. They just don't look good against one another, but either one alone looks great against the white.

Here's the thing about the Charger's uniforms. They have the classic pro helmet design of all time with the bolt. You could pretty much do that helmet in any combination of blue/gold/white and have a cool helmet. The problem is, the team insists on adding bolts to the shoulders and pants legs which makes the whole outfit look cartoonish, like the team is wearing superhero outfits.

Archived